PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Renovation

firecapt13
03-13-2006, 07:21 PM
I have 2 customers that want their front yards completley redone. They have mostly weeds with some grass mixed in. What is the best way to do this. What is the best way to get rid of all old grass and weeds and get new grass to start. I was going to haul in dirt and spread it out with bobcat. Just wondering about the easiest way to get rid of old lawn. Any help or thoughts would be helpful

KC Hartman
03-13-2006, 08:25 PM
I am still new to the site but here is what I have learned by browsing the forums a lot.

First do a Soil test (About 10 to 20 bucks through your state Agriculture tester/college). Follow test directions to correctly amend soil!

1. Turf/Sod Cutter - Remove the old turf!

2. a) Do a full "Ground Kill" if you are PC Licensed. If Not then:
b) Add Soil Amendments and roto-till in. Bring Soil up to correct Height!

3. Rake to level the soil

4. Seed (hydro seed is easier since you don't have to cover with weed-free hay to protect from the birds.)

5. Water to 1 inch depth

6. Keep watered till lawn is fully grown.

7. Once lawn is at about 2.5 to 3 inches mow using 1/3 rule

8. Enjoy new lawn and water/mow regularly!

PSUturf
03-14-2006, 05:07 PM
1) Soil test
2) Apply non selective herbicide (Roundup) to actively growing weeds and grass. Roundup won't do anything if you use a remove the old turf first.
3)Remove vegetation after it has died. Use Harleyrake, or Rockhound, even a dethatcher would work.
4)Add soil if needed to raise low spots.
5)Till in compost if needed to improve water holding capacity (if sandy) or porosity (if heavy clay)
6) Finish grade
7) Apply seed and drag in
8)Starter fertilizer
9) Apply mulch if desired (Straw, compost, Penn mulch, Seed Aid)