PDA

View Full Version : Retaining wall trouble?

DonM
03-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Nothing major I hope? I have a kinda weird situation. Around the foundation of my house is a slab of concrete. It looks like a walk way that sourrounds the intire house. Not sure why this was done and what the purpose is?

My plan is to take retaining wall bricks and build an area in which I had wanted to put shrubs, or flowers. The bricks are on the edge of the concrete slab and I would like to fill the space between the bricks and the foundation with soil. But I thought of one problem, no drainage. The wall is roughly 5 high, the height of the foundation.

Can this be done without problems?? My concerns are drainage and root growth. Hope I explained my self.

hole in one lco
03-13-2006, 07:53 PM
this house has no basement right

DonM
03-13-2006, 07:54 PM
this house has no basement right

No, just a crawlspace.

Dirty Water
03-13-2006, 07:54 PM
How far out does this slap go?

It sounds like your describing the footing of your foundation, but a footing should be on the bottom of a 2'-4' stem wall, so you shouldn't be seeing it :)

How thick is the slab?

If you are positive that this slab is purely ornamental and not your footing, then you could cut it along the stem wall and rip it out, or punch drain holes in it every 12" or so.

DonM
03-13-2006, 07:58 PM
How far out does this slap go?

It sounds like your describing the footing of your foundation, but a footing should be on the bottom of a 2'-4' stem wall, so you shouldn't be seeing it :)

How thick is the slab?

If you are positive that this slab is purely ornamental and not your footing, then you could cut it along the stem wall and rip it out, or punch drain holes in it every 12" or so.

The slab extends roughly 18-20" out. The depth is 3-4". I've seen this done on many houses before, but never understood the purpose. The slab doesnt go completely under the house,just surrounding the foundation. It looks like a walkway.

Dirty Water
03-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Punch some drain holes in that puppy.

DonM
03-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Punch some drain holes in that puppy.

Yeah, that was one thought. But what about depth problems. I want to put shrubs and Im not sure how well they would hold up in soil that's fairly shallow with a slab underneith. Root growth is my other concern.

jreiff
03-13-2006, 08:09 PM
HAve any pictures of the site??????

kris
03-13-2006, 08:20 PM
That would worry me ... I hate laying anything over concrete.

If you can't tear it out defiantly punch holes in it. What else can you do?

edit ...there must be some purpose to that slab ....someone here should know... I wouldnt do much until I found out that.

amvega
03-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I would like to see some pictures before I give you any of my input. So post some pic.

cedarcroft
03-13-2006, 09:33 PM
use planters or containers. I wouldn't mess w/ that apron until you know for sure what its purpose is, its there for a reason.

phototropic1
03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
I'd think that maybe you might consider planting outside of this apron anyway. I could be visualizing this all wrong, but it sounds as though if you were to plant in the area containing this apron, you would be under the overhang of the roof. Shrubs will likely be much happier outside the drip line. The drainage will of course be better outside the drip line, but the plants will also benefit from more consistent light and better airflow. Just a thought. Hard to tell, though, without a picture.

DonM
03-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I would like to see some pictures before I give you any of my input. So post some pic.

I'll take some pics and post them. Soon as I figuare out how to post them.