PDA

View Full Version : 95 Toyota: What to look for?

BSDeality
03-13-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at a 95 Toyota pickup tomorrow and would like to know what to look for, this would be my first import truck so, i'm a little green behind the ears. I've heard nothing but great stuff about toyotas so I've been looking for the right one for some time now.

its a 1995, 4cyl, 4x4, 5 spd manual. new clutch in october 05, new timing chain just last month in Feb 06. It also has a new radiator & brakes, new oversize tires. It has 120K mi.

Talked to the guy on the phone tonight and he says it has some surface rust above the wheelwells in the back, but thats about it.

What should I look long and hard for tomorrow?

Dirty Water
03-13-2006, 08:48 PM
Rust is toyota's weakness...Look hard at that.

It's going to feel a little gutless with the 2.4 litre 4, but that engine will run forever. Especially since the chain's been replaced already.

Palmer'sLS
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
is this for pulling a lawn trailer behind it or for personal use?? if its for "commercial" use i would definitly check the frame and to see about the hitch/bumper mount, and what shape its in....i have learned my lesson about this one

ground works
03-13-2006, 10:27 PM
We have a 1995 toyota tacoma with a 2.7, auto, 4x4 and use it to pull a 16' trailer loaded with to zero turn mowers. It pulls all of it, but we did put a brake box in the truck to help stop it all. We have owed a 87,91,and this 95. The best one is the 95. Toyota's are good running but when it comes time to find used parts it is a little hard. I would say buy it.

BSDeality
03-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I have heard about the rust problems they all fall victim to. I plan on doing a top to bottom inspection for that. I've done a frame rebuild on two Jeep CJ7's before, so I'm not too worried about the frame/body but rather any mechanical quirks.

the truck will be used for my "light days" personal/work truck. I've got an '05 F350/PSD for hauling stuff. I currently need a grocery getter and non HD truck. I drive about 30K miles a year and diesel is killing me, plus killing my 36K mile warranty on the truck :(

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2006, 07:45 AM
I have had a 89' used 4cyl, a 91' new 4 cyl and a 94' new 6 cyl and now a 96' 4Runner 6 cyl,

Great trucks.......have never failed me.... As for the rust....one that age really should not be rusting like that. The major rust problems were solved in the redesign of the early 90's......... My 96' has no rust... I prefer the 6cyl.....but the 4's will run forever......

Why was the timing chain replaced already??

Derek

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 10:02 AM
I'm not sure why it was replaced, but I'm guessing because of the typical failures they have @ 120-140K miles. I'll ask him about it.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
From my Toyota experience timing chains don't break.....that is why they go with chains. I had well over 200,000 on each of the 2- 4 cyl and never had a chain replaced.... Just something to think about....

D

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 12:31 PM
i was reading that a lot of them have the timing chain replaced @ 120K miles on a couple toyota forums.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-14-2006, 12:51 PM
OK ....well what can I say..... I never did it.... But if it has been done you will probably never have to think about it.....

D

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 12:56 PM
yea, thats what I'm hoping.

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Update: I bought the truck, all was well until the brake line burst. Lets hope I didn't get a lemon. I'm going to have to wait a day or two to grab a trailer to go pick it up now.

Jpocket
03-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Why not get a nice used 1/2 ton with a v6. You've got an f-350 why not get somthing in between.

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 11:24 PM
I didn't need a v6. this thing is the grocery getter of my business. I want pure fuel economy that is still usable as a truck.

lawnboy dan
03-17-2006, 10:31 PM
there are no toyota lemons. best trucks ever made.

Dirty Water
03-17-2006, 10:35 PM
Toyota engines are interference, so if a timing chain does break, your going to have valves kissing pistons.

Changing your chain every 120 thousand miles is cheap preventative maintenance compared to having a top end rebuild.

BSDeality
03-18-2006, 02:08 PM
I picked it up on weds afternoon. Re-ran some brake lines, bled them but couldn't get all the air out until I discovered the LSPV on the rear where the last of the air was sitting. I took it for a test drive and everything was great except it pulls to the left pretty good when you slam the brakes. I'm goin to do a complete brake job to it in a month or so. I can't take the wheels off right now cause the the guy I bought it from failed to mention he didn't have the key for the locking lugnuts! DOH!! He's attempting to contact the previous owner and see if he has it, otherwise I'm going to have to weld a socket to each one to remove them.

I took it for its first highway drive (100 miles) and everything was fine. It certainly doesn't accelerate like my F350PSD on the hills, but I can manage for now. I might have to add a turbo though :)

oh, i did notice a slight knock @ idle, i'll have to check into that at some point soon too.

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Gator Grip sockets remove locking lugs pretty good.

As far as the slight knock, its probably the rocker arms/lifters..OHC engines are notorious for a slight tapping sound.

BSDeality
03-18-2006, 04:07 PM
thanks for the tip on the gator grip sockets, Thats definitly easier than welding sockets and cutting them off again.

Is there anything I can do about the rockers/lifters?

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 04:22 PM
thanks for the tip on the gator grip sockets, Thats definitly easier than welding sockets and cutting them off again.

Is there anything I can do about the rockers/lifters?

Depends, if they are manual lifters just adjust the valve lash, if they are hydrualic then your best bet is to try a good oil flush with a high detergent cleaner (Marvel Mystery Oil) etc.

I'm not sure what are in that engine, a quick glance at a toyota forum will steer you the right way though.

Ol'time Lawncare
03-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking at a 95 Toyota pickup tomorrow and would like to know what to look for, this would be my first import truck so, i'm a little green behind the ears. I've heard nothing but great stuff about toyotas so I've been looking for the right one for some time now.

its a 1995, 4cyl, 4x4, 5 spd manual. new clutch in october 05, new timing chain just last month in Feb 06. It also has a new radiator & brakes, new oversize tires. It has 120K mi.

Talked to the guy on the phone tonight and he says it has some surface rust above the wheelwells in the back, but thats about it.

What should I look long and hard for tomorrow?
I have the same truck with the same details,lol.Toyota recalled all 95s 4x4 trucks for the replacement of the steering relay rod. I have made my appointment.You can't beat this truck,pulls my trailer everyday for 4 years.rips out stumps,pulls trees over and keeps on going.

BSDeality
03-18-2006, 08:59 PM
it actually turns out it was a 94, I was looking at the title and noticed it. I think the recall applies to more than just the 95's right?

Ol'time Lawncare
03-18-2006, 09:05 PM
it actually turns out it was a 94, I was looking at the title and noticed it. I think the recall applies to more than just the 95's right? had to look again ,paper says 92 to 95.