PDA

View Full Version : owners of Z-Spray Intermediate wish u got the max

ant
03-13-2006, 09:37 PM
owners of Z-Spray Intermediate wish u got the max?
the only difference i see is the gallonage.

when it comes time to spray i think the extra gallons will come in handy.

turf hokie
03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Ant--

Are you dizzy yet from trying to make this decision? Cause your making me :dizzy:

I have the z-max and love it. Although it is too big for alot of the properties around here. I dont know if the intermediate would solve this problem. For my business I would not give up the PG unless the intermediate could be used in the same situation as the PG.

ant
03-13-2006, 09:51 PM
i started to get dizzy last week when i ordered Intermediate .
the perma is doing its job fits in 99.9% of my lawns..
did not wont to make a mistake...

DUSTYCEDAR
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
in my best sam kinason voice
DO IT
DO IT
DO IT
GET R DONE

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Let me know how the intermediate works on the lawns that your were using the PG on....I know the Z is something that I would go to pretty exclusively if I could put it on the smaller lawns without too much of a problem.

Pilgrims' Pride
03-14-2006, 07:50 AM
What are the "smaller lawns"?
I have the max and I use it on EVERYTHING!
I pull an aerator too.
I have lawns that are from 2000 ft up to several acres.
I havent seen a place (a few small gates aside) that I cant go and treat effectively>

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 08:10 AM
Pilgrim's Pride

Do you just adjust the calibration and speed of the machine to accomodate the smaller lawns? I tried it on some 5k and smaller lawns and just felt it was too big. Maybe it was b/c I wasn't quite used to it yet. I only have about 50 hours on it so far.

I would like to know, I have a used ultra that I am looking to buy, but if I could use the max on the residentials I would love to save the 3 grand.

Pilgrims' Pride
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Pilgrim's Pride

Do you just adjust the calibration and speed of the machine to accomodate the smaller lawns? I tried it on some 5k and smaller lawns and just felt it was too big. Maybe it was b/c I wasn't quite used to it yet. I only have about 50 hours on it so far.

I would like to know, I have a used ultra that I am looking to buy, but if I could use the max on the residentials I would love to save the 3 grand.

For the most part I run at normal speed.
Smaller tight areas I will adjust for

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 08:34 AM
How do you account for the fertilizer beating of off the house? Even with the deflector down the machine throws the fert so far it seems like I am always pelting something with the fertilizer.

Pilgrims' Pride
03-14-2006, 12:25 PM
How do you account for the fertilizer beating of off the house? Even with the deflector down the machine throws the fert so far it seems like I am always pelting something with the fertilizer.

Adjust with the rheostat

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 01:42 PM
I did adjust the reostat...I just thought that would affect the calibration b/c now you are throwing the fert 4-6 feet on each side as opposed to 12-15 feet.

Or am I just being overly concerned about that?

PS Ant
Sorry I kinda hijacked your thread here.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-14-2006, 05:24 PM
u better watch out that jersey boy ant is gonna take care of u and then forgetaboutit

turfsolutions
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Yes if you adjust the spreader speed than you have to adjust the spreader's flow setting so the granules don't come out as fast.

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 08:12 PM
u better watch out that jersey boy ant is gonna take care of u and then forgetaboutit

Doncha worry, I got ma Nu Yawk crew

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 08:17 PM
Yes if you adjust the spreader speed than you have to adjust the spreader's flow setting so the granules don't come out as fast.

I like to keep my ground speed the same to keep production up, maybe I am just overthinking it. I figured that if the ground speed and spreader flow remained the same and I slowed down the reostat then I would be putting the same amount of fert in a smaller swath. This would in turn put down more fert than I should per 1,000.

FINN
03-14-2006, 08:36 PM
I don't like to "mess with" my settings. I get it dialed in like I want it and try to leave it alone. I try to walk it if it requires a lot of adjustments. Chances are if it's that small the customer will expect to see you walk it anyway.

That being said, I do adjust the settings sometimes. Mostly speed up when I reduce the throw width and slow down when I make it wider.

ant
03-14-2006, 09:58 PM
i am still not sure what one to get..i ordered the Intermediate but i can change it.. it wont be in till the end of april..

can you get up curbs with it?

FINN
03-14-2006, 10:06 PM
i have the intermediate..........the only thing I would change is more liquid capacity.............talk to Andy at Z spray about this...........he might be able to take off one off the fert trays and put a tank in it's place and then you are capable of z max production without the size

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Yes, I am spending a lot of time on my computer this week......estimates wont stop, and no I am not complaining.

Curbs are an issue. But if the PG weren't as light, it would have a hard time to.

I keep curb hoppers (or your variation of these) on the truck. I believe Walker makes them to jump curbs with their machines.

They are basically wheel blocks that are designed to get a big machines up and over a curb without killing tires, or the rider.

I got the z-max b/c I felt with the larger capacities I would get more done. But I maintain about 20 sites that are from 5 to 50 acres and that is why I bought the max. If it can work on the smaller properties with a few adjustments,to me that is just a bonus.

butler L&S
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
I have a z-max and dont like to use it in tight places. It tends to throw the fert where I dont want it to go unless I turn the spinner speed way down. Of course this puts more material down if I dont adjust the flow. I do alot of townhomes that have small front yards and larger open areas in the back. I end up doing the front yards with a Lesco push spreader. This year I'm going to use a z-spray walk behind for tight areas and smaller yards.

ant
03-15-2006, 07:19 PM
how is the z along sidewalks and pools with the guard down?

the perm a green does well when the side guard works..seems like few hundred pounds of fert. the guard jams up:cry:

turfsolutions
03-15-2006, 07:31 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the spreader have pretty much the same controls for both. My z jr. kinda spreads where I don't want it, or in other words throws the granules in the beds. I still don't have a problem using it in small areas.

butler L&S
03-15-2006, 09:46 PM
the spinner is closer to the ground on the walk behind and I'm hoping this will give me better control in the tight areas. I modified the side guard on my z max and made it longer...before the modification it was hard to cut an edge.

ant
03-15-2006, 10:10 PM
. I modified the side guard on my z max and made it longer...before the modification it was hard to cut an edge.

thank you for the reply

GrazerZ
03-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Ant,
Man you are totally agonizing about this purchase:dizzy: I understand, I research purchases very heavy also. I told you to get the max, I really think you will want the extra capacity. It will allow you to do larger stuff. Also if you have to switch the nozzles to a then you will really like having the extra capacity. as far as the edge guard goes, I have never been totally happy with ANY I have used. The one on the Z works about as well as the others, but its really throws, so there is some fert that gets by. You have to keep the nut tight enough to keep it up but not too tight. I personally like the throw path adjuster. Any way, you will be happy either way. My vote is for the max though.:)

ant
03-17-2006, 07:06 AM
my average lawn is 17,000 sp. but some are high degree of difficulty.
the perm-a-green is no problem.. i am concerned with the booms out front..
ant