PDA

View Full Version : Exmark Spindle Bearings any problems?

CuttinUP
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Was talking to a friend today that picked up a lazer z for cheap from a customer of his to resell. He was talking about the Exmark spindles needing to be replaced every 100-150 hrs (keep in mind that this guy is a die-hard Skag man and has never owned an Exmark before) He said that this lazer has 550 hrs on it and 2 of the spindles are bad and that another friend of his that has a viking with about 300 hrs on it has to replace all 3 spindles on it. I have the TTHP and the spindles on it seem to in great shape no slop or looseness of any kind and I have 220hrs on it. Is anyone else having these problems or is he being misinformed and a little bias? I know that Exmark uses an automotive bearing manufacturer to make these. And from being an automotive technician for 10+ years I have seen these sealed bearings go out anywhere from 130,000 miles to 220,000 miles on cars. So with this , I just don't see this happening unless these people are just abusing the crap out of them.

CAG
03-13-2006, 09:42 PM
he probably just hits a lot of stuff!!!

JKOOPERS
03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
i have 3 exmarks with each one having over 550 hrs and have not replaced one spindle and dont plan too. maybe that guy just wasnt balancing his blades . :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

mslawn
03-13-2006, 10:16 PM
Your friend has not got a clue what he is talking about.

green acres lawns
03-13-2006, 10:42 PM
I had to replace all the bearings in my 60" deck at around 800 hrs. And then replaced the bearings in the right spindle at 1100 hours. The problem with mine was moisture getting in the bearings and no way to clean it out. Then the bearings would get noisy(louder than the blade noise), and start to get side play in the spindle shaft. But the bearings are cheap and easy to replace.

OutdoorExtras
03-13-2006, 11:06 PM
Exmark's sealed bearings are not all that great, but they'll definitely last longer than a "few hundred hours". As posted above he was probably just running crap blades or hitting a lot of debris. I've also heard of heavy power washing blowing the seals, but have never seen that myself.

mowingmachine
03-13-2006, 11:38 PM
It could easily be true. Most ball bearings are made in China now and the consistancy and reliability of these bearings is horrible. Even big name bearing brands that use to be good are questionable. There are other factors though too. If he is hitting objects that is very hard on Chinese bearings. What do the blades look like? If they are all beat up that is probably the problem. Also a pressure washer will kill a bearing seal. If it is a pressure washer causing the problem you will probably find rust down in the hub.

Richard Martin
03-14-2006, 03:36 AM
My experiences and observations of Exmark's sealed bearing hasn't been good. I had a 36" Metro that seemed to eat through them and my buddy has 2 Lazers and has replaced all of them before either mower hit 1200 hours. Additionally, Exmark doesn't sell the bearings. If you can't source the bearings elsewhere you have to buy new spindles.

joefromstockton
03-14-2006, 05:51 AM
any body know of a good online store that I can buy new spindle bearings for my 36" exmark metro?

Roger
03-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Here is a link:

http://www.power41.com/default.asp?Status=Search&currentPage=1&SearchType=Key&SearchValue=bearing&KeySearch=1&CartId=816962&AccountId=

If you cannot find the part number in the selection, call them with your Exmark part number. I have bought bearings from them for a long time. Service and response has always been excellent.

mmacsek
03-14-2006, 07:23 AM
We have Exmark and Scag's. The Exmark TTHP has 2000 plus hours on it and the original bearings, no slop or looseness. Hopefully I won't jinx anything with that statement. Matt

TLS
03-14-2006, 10:53 AM
Over 1500 on my 60" Lazer and I'm on the originals.

Knocking on wood with you Matt!!!

CuttinUP
03-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback guys! I thought he was probably wrong on this. Roger, Thanks for the link to power41. I called them up just to see what the price was for the spindles on my TTHP and they are the most reasonable that I have seen $34.76 for a spindle housing w/bearings. But I don't think I will be needing them anytime soon.

jrc lawncare
03-14-2006, 04:19 PM
The bearing in my tthps are made by fafnir, part # ra100rr7 . Some of the aftermarket style bearings don't last, I know, I've tried them. Ebatmus has original part # bearings, you won't be disappointed. They are rather pricy, though.