PDA

View Full Version : RexMann,Uniscaper,?...Walls 'n Water

MarcusLndscp
03-13-2006, 10:12 PM
Just wondering what others are doing for walls that are on the waters edge or actually in the water. We were given specs once for a block wall that actually had the first 4 or 5 courses under water. I can't remember the details but there was an approved method for doing this type of install. My main question is in regards to the base and what specs would be on it.

We do a lot of lake front walls that typically fall right on the waters edge and are actually partially submerged when high water level is acheived. I'm not crazy about these installs and am looking for others opinions on base install and materials.

I probably made no sense in this question but I hope you all can interpret it. Thanks in advance

cgland
03-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Marcus - I am hurt that you didn't ask me! In water applications, you must first find out where a 100 year flood would come to. Then, your entire backfill zone must be clean stone up to that point. You should even use the same clean stone as your leveling pad. All this in conjunction with your grid pulls should suffice. Also, you will certainly need some scour protection along the toe of the wall. You will also need to have some outlet drains at normal water level. I think that is it, unless Bill has something to add.

Chris

MarcusLndscp
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
Scour protection along the toe of the wall.......enlighten me a little more on this Chris. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings....I wasn't aware they had much H2O in Penn....I just thought it was a bunch of smog and grafitti all over the place

cgland
03-13-2006, 10:37 PM
Scour protection basically is a bunch of rip rap installed in front of the wall at the toe to keep the tides, etc. from eroding the leveling pad away.

P.S. We have tons of graffitti in Reading! I would check it out, but I'm afraid I'll get shot!

Chris

all ferris
03-13-2006, 10:46 PM
Versa-loc has a detailed istallation guide available

UNISCAPER
03-13-2006, 10:51 PM
TYpically you make a coffer dam, keep the trench pumped out, set the base, then pull the sandbags and drop some 3-6" rip rap along the wall toe to help with errosion from the current.

My favorite products for sea walls are Unilock's Dura-Hold, and Siena Stone. Ready Rock would also be a choice. Or, sheet piling makes a great sea wall as well and you don't even need to build a coffer dam.

Back in the day we used to pour sea walls.

YardPro
03-14-2006, 07:12 AM
here is a pic of a coffer dam and a pump setup.
we have a 10"base wrapped in geo. Then we had about 1" of additional stone on top to act as a leveling bed.

the entire wall was only 22" high, with 10" below grade.
we have drain tile installed exiting at far end where you can see the geo exit the wall

MarcusLndscp
03-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Now all of you throw your thoughts in adding into it.....ice that's over a foot thick and being on a huge lake where the waves pound the snot out of the shore line.......appreciating the comments thus far.....thank you

UNISCAPER
03-14-2006, 09:26 PM
Unilock Dura-Hold. 1600 lbs each, 6' long x 16" wide. They have dead men and interlock, or Redi-Rock. Back tie it with Strata Grid 550 and your set.