PDA

View Full Version : aluminum landscape rakes??

gammon landscaping
03-13-2006, 11:19 PM
i have seen some of these aluminum rakes at john deer landscaping, and i was wondering if anyone uses them for preping yards for seed. never used one but the fact that they are 3 foot wide seems like they would cover alot of ground fast but seem to be flimsy.

well could you guys tell me about these, they are like 70 bucks a pop so i don't want to buy one if i can't use it

LB1234
03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Yes, we use them for seed bed prep. Don't know what I'd do without them....

Well, it would take more time with the rock rake, thats for sure.

G.M.Landscaping
03-13-2006, 11:24 PM
One of the best things for prepping soil for seed. Makes leveling easy and getting out the rocks. Locally they're 35-$40 here.
Get one with a long handle. Mine is at least 7 ft long.

southernlandscapespecial
03-13-2006, 11:25 PM
I have one and it works very well and covers alot of area,mine is not flimsy at all and is just as sturdy as a standard rake. I paid around 40.00 at lowes

Doug Z.
03-13-2006, 11:45 PM
They are great for seeding lawns. I just bought 2 new ones from A.M. Leonard for $45.00 for both at the MIDAM show. I see in the catalog they run about $45.00each.

Randy Scott
03-14-2006, 12:21 AM
We use Wolverine brand 48" wide. Sturdy as can be.

sheshovel
03-14-2006, 12:24 AM
Grade rake is what I call them..40.00 to 45.00 pay no more than that!Well worth it..I use mine for all kinds of different jobs.

CutRight
03-14-2006, 01:22 AM
ditto

fundamental tool for seed prep work.

spoolinaround
03-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Grade rake is what I call them..40.00 to 45.00 pay no more than that!Well worth it..I use mine for all kinds of different jobs.

all they have to do is put the john deere name on it and then they charge double the going rate:rolleyes:

nocutting
03-14-2006, 01:45 AM
all they have to do is put the john deere name on it and then they charge double the going rate:rolleyes:
Gradeing Rakes, cant live with outem, ours, are sturdy too, not flimsy

o-so-n-so
03-14-2006, 01:46 AM
I echo everyone else on this one. I do all final grades with this type rake. I wouldn't pay that JD price for one though. Go to Lowes, Marvins or Home Depot.

Mr. Vern
03-14-2006, 02:12 AM
Landscape rakes are an essential tool for anyone doing installs. They not only move more dirt faster, but because of their extra width they allow you to get a much more even grade than a garden rake would. I am not against a company making a profit, but JD is ripping people off charging that much for one of these. I have bought them from several places but the best value I have found is on Ebay. 2 rakes delivered to your door for about $50. They have blue anodized handles that don't leave your hands black like many aluminum handled ones do. The only complaint I have was that the handle could be a couple of inches longer, but you get used to the shorter handle after a couple of hours - or in your case you probably wouldn't notice anyway. Check out this link - http://cgi.ebay.com/2-PROFESSIONAL-GRADE-LANDSCAPE-RAKE-RAKES_W0QQitemZ4446215317QQcategoryZ303QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

KCLandscape
03-14-2006, 04:00 AM
Huh,...
Nice find, I will be getting a few of them...

drsogr
03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
I was extremely happy the first time I used one of these....now I just need to buy a couple more.

Ground Effects NH
03-14-2006, 10:34 AM
We have alot of lake front property's that we maintain. We use the landscape rake to rake out the beach areas in the spring and fall also after high winds on the lake works GREAT

AGLA
03-14-2006, 08:28 PM
They will make your hands black and look like war paint when you wipe the sweat off of your face, but they are light.

Vern hit on the main reason for being big. It is supposed to work somewhat like a screed and so that you can see high and low spots along the edge of the teeth. They just don't teach this stuff anymore, do they?

southernlandscapespecial
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
wow, wish I would have seen that ebay add before I bought mine:usflag:

olderthandirt
03-14-2006, 09:34 PM
Start pulling a 3' rake with rocks all day and it will seperate the men from the boys :laugh: :laugh:

sheshovel
03-14-2006, 09:49 PM
Or the girls from the women!

AGLA
03-14-2006, 11:09 PM
I think that avatar does the trick pretty well, too.

LawnScenes
03-14-2006, 11:17 PM
I think that avatar does the trick pretty well, too.

lmfao. I'll send you the bill for the new keyboard to replace the one I just I just shot tea all over.

gammon landscaping
03-15-2006, 12:52 AM
thanks guys i think i will try to pick up some of the blue ones that one of you mentioned. i have to do most of the work by my self these days. so have been tring to just tracor the yards and go on only raking around the edges. i think that most of you guys sew yards in the 15,000sqft and down range. and most of mine are in the 35,000 to an acare size. so for a one man crew this can be alot of work. i think this may help alot

Mr. Vern
03-15-2006, 01:21 AM
[QUOTE=AGLA]They will make your hands black and look like war paint when you wipe the sweat off of your face, but they are light.

QUOTE]
That's one of the nicest things about the rakes I found on Ebay, they are anodized so you don't get the black hands (and subsequent black face and other body parts).
A neat trick I discovered on jobs too large to rake is to drag some chain link fence around behind the tractor after you have the grade right. It leaves that just raked look that seeds can bed into nicely.

mdvaden
03-15-2006, 04:11 AM
They are not flimsy.

I first used them at country clubs to rake the sand traps / bunkers. One rake would last one to two years of daily use at 3 hours raking per day.

In landscaping, as long as you are not smacking the ground to break clods, nor raking 2" river rock, those will last for years. The braces are very strong - much stronger than commercial push brooms you may have used.

If the soil is fine and somewhat loose, you may even enjoy adding the 4' wide landscape aluminum rake to your tools someday.

AGLA
03-15-2006, 10:49 PM
The flaw with them is that the teeth can bend rather easily and aluminum fatigues really quickly. You bend the tooth back and it usually winds up on the ground. Another thing to watch out for is that they are long handled and sometimes people toss things in the back of the truck and the handles get bent pretty easily.

AGLA
03-15-2006, 10:50 PM
PS. sorry about the keyboard!

Mr. Vern
03-15-2006, 11:44 PM
You guys are correct in that the rakes have to be treated with moderate care. But that if you ruin one, it is your fault and not the rakes. I have run across a few "tweaker" rakes in my day (rakes with teeth missing), but you just toss them in the trash and get a new one. I have found that the most common causes of bent teeth are smashing clods like was mentioned, and snagging a tooth on a root and giving a good yank. You can get away with bending them back a couple of times before they break. If you've never used one, get one and you won't regret it.

YardPro
03-16-2006, 07:33 AM
i have seen some of these aluminum rakes at john deer landscaping, and i was wondering if anyone uses them for preping yards for seed. never used one but the fact that they are 3 foot wide seems like they would cover alot of ground fast but seem to be flimsy.

well could you guys tell me about these, they are like 70 bucks a pop so i don't want to buy one if i can't use it

i use them all the time.. i could not work without them.
i have a midwest that is about 10 years old. just bought a razorback landscape rake from JD.... much more cheaply made. but only $40.00. The midwest is worth every penny of $80.00.

Mr. Vern
03-18-2006, 02:22 AM
Yardpro - what makes it worth $80? Is it straighter, lighter, more comfortable. I have not had problems with durability, and I abuse them pretty bad. The only thing that I look for is that they not be overly heavy, that they are flat and square(never found one that wasn't) and that they have an anodized handle to avoid the dreaded black hands (which become black face, black interior of your pickup, black sandwich at lunch time, etc...). Other than that I can't imagine what would make one worth two to three times as much - where is the return on the investment?

YardPro
03-19-2006, 08:40 AM
the aluminum is much thicker. the tines are much less succeptable to bending,
the straight edge on the back is reinforced and has little vaned coming off it that help hold soil and pull it along... i use the topside of the rake all the time.
the grip on the razorback came off within a minute of use, and is not a very durable material.

the midwest is just a much more heavy duity rake. I use mine for paver base, etc, so i am puching around a lot of rock with it. I don't think the razorback i just bought will last the whole year, much less 9-10 years.

so i justify the price by the number of replacements of the cheaper made rake. If i have to buy 3 razorbacks to last the same time that the midwest lasted, the midwest just saved me $40.00.

i'll see how it goes with this thing this year, but i don't see it holding up very well.

LOL i hear you about the black oxidation getting everywhere..
my midwest that is 10 years old, has a powder coated paint. it is chipped off l little, but not where you get any oxidation residue on your hands....

also you're supposed to be wearing gloves, to keep your hands silky soft for MRS. VERN..lol

SLSNursery
03-19-2006, 10:41 AM
As a side business my brothers and I manufacture Aluminum Landscape Rakes which are super lightweight, durable, and fairly priced. Many of our customers come in for replacement parts on rakes that they have had for 8-10 years. Others, can't seem to keep them safe in the back of the truck. The head profile and tooth edge are sharper than others, which helps them dig in a little bit more, whether straight or sifter toothed. They are great for infield work, lawn installations, etc.

The Rakes can be viewed at the following website

www.newenglandrake.com

which shows the different models. We are looking for distributors/dealers outside of our immediate area, and are interested in talking to independent dealers rather than chains or large distributors. If you know of reputable local dealers, steer them my way, or PM for more information.

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 05:10 PM
That's a nice looking rake but I am not gonna call all the way back east to get a price from you.If you can't put your prices on your website..I won't bother to buy from you.

timturf
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
Start pulling a 3' rake with rocks all day and it will seperate the men from the boys :laugh: :laugh:

Just think what a 4' rake will do!

actually, i generally start with a 2', then work my way up to a 4'.

SLSNursery
03-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Sheshovel -

Did you read the post? We are looking for local independent distributors around the country (in addition to what we currently have), rather than sell off of our site. The purpose of posting the website was to show the product, not push a sale.

While we certainly look forward to phone calls, email works too and you don't even have to bother with the whole phone thing!

sheshovel
03-21-2006, 10:26 AM
OK cool..sorry I dident notice I just looked at the rake pic and looked for a price.