PDA

View Full Version : 3rd season the new has worn off

TOTALLAWN OF KY
03-13-2006, 11:36 PM
any one dread this season??? i just cant seem to get as excited as i was the first two seasons .its like a real job now.lol just kidding .....

spcfoor
03-14-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm really ready to get going. I have just completed round one and in about 3 weeks go onto round two. I am really ready to get the mowing season under way. This was my first year to do the fert and squirt. I really enjoyed being outside as opposed to sitting behind a computer all day. Hopefully I can go full time next spring. This is my fifth year mowing. It can at times be dreaded but overall I look forward to the day.

OrganicFert
03-14-2006, 11:33 AM
We're still enjoying mud season here in Maine. Heck, we'll get the lawn renewals out this week maybe! Not much snow this year, just a never ending mud season. I must say, getting excited.

Good Luck

DUSTYCEDAR
03-14-2006, 12:00 PM
hey i like mud i think its a slop hole here toooo

olderthandirt
03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
any one dread this season??? i just cant seem to get as excited as i was the first two seasons .its like a real job now.lol just kidding .....

Reality setting in, it is a job only difference is now your responsible for everything and you mentally work 24/7

Green-Pro
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
Reality setting in, it is a job only difference is now your responsible for everything and you mentally work 24/7

Maybe I need my head examined, but IMO this is part of the fun :cool2:

TSM
03-14-2006, 07:19 PM
wait till its your 24th season. i wouldnt mind another 3 months of winter

TURF DOCTOR
03-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Hey if you are burnt out, just send the accounts my way.

nobagger
03-14-2006, 07:32 PM
My days are dragging on in anticipation for the first clean up. I cant wait. I need to start making money again, this winter was not a profitable one to say the least:cry: Bad thing is I don't anticipate starting until 1st or 2nd week of April but gettin' ready:dancing:

Lux Lawn
03-14-2006, 07:36 PM
At this point I am about ready to go back to work.Spring clean-ups are going to be rough for us this year because last fall was not the best for working(lots of rain & snow).But that means there will be plenty of cash coming in.

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 08:24 PM

Older than dirt,

Sorry to hear the fun is gone. I just hired 2 full time and 1 part time employees (my first hires), bought a second truck, another machine, 2 - 200 gallon sprayers.

Let the sleepless nights, I mean fun begin.

SodKing
03-14-2006, 08:38 PM
I don't think mac dislikes his job. I think he is saying that its not a sandbox, it is a job, and now you have responsibilities that follow you around 24 hours a day.

Myself, its my 14th year and I think this is the most exciting time. Large contracts are being bid and awarded, new houses to see, old friends to meet up with again, old equipment is getting fixed, new equipment is arriving, and lawns to make green.

What's to dread about that?

Wolfie's L&L
03-14-2006, 08:48 PM
I love this time of year, just had three meetings today to sign renewal contracts and go over spring cleanup prices and any additional work the customer will want this spring. Now come late November is a different story! :dizzy:

turf hokie
03-14-2006, 09:03 PM
what is the saying??

My worst day working for myself is still better than my best day punching a clock.

Wolfie--
November is great fun for me, that's when Christmas decorating is in full swing. Now that is a boat load of stress and fun thrown in together.

indyturf
03-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Sure sometimes I get burned out, but I couldn't imagine working for someone else!

olderthandirt
03-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Sure sometimes I get burned out, but I couldn't imagine working for someone else!

This is a great saying thats been on LS since before there was a LS.

Everyone on here works for someone else--------- YOUR CUSTOMERS

I know you can quit servicing who ever you want and think you can set your own hrs but thats not true. theres only so much daylite in a day and winter comes each yr.

So what is the differnce between working for someone else- punching a time clock or working for a customer? Customers can be asshats as well as a boss, after you punch out you go home and your done till you punch in the next day.
If your the owner you go home get things ready for the next day, take phone calls and on a good day there won't be any complaints then you scheldule jobs etc.

So IF the wages and benefits were the same would you still want to the boss or would you just take the money and let someone else handle the head aches?

FINN
03-14-2006, 11:47 PM
For what it's worth.......

It's all about control. I now have it and never would working for others. It's what I've always wanted. I'll take it over money and I like that too.

Mac's right. I still work for people. I've been calling them this week and I tell them........ "I'm touching base as the season approaches.....please keep an eye out for my service agreement in the mail....... and I would really appreciate the opportunity to work for you again this year.".....

They love it and I believe it.

Green-Pro
03-15-2006, 01:54 AM
This is a great saying thats been on LS since before there was a LS.

Everyone on here works for someone else--------- YOUR CUSTOMERS

I know you can quit servicing who ever you want and think you can set your own hrs but thats not true. theres only so much daylite in a day and winter comes each yr.

So what is the differnce between working for someone else- punching a time clock or working for a customer? Customers can be asshats as well as a boss, after you punch out you go home and your done till you punch in the next day.
If your the owner you go home get things ready for the next day, take phone calls and on a good day there won't be any complaints then you scheldule jobs etc.

So IF the wages and benefits were the same would you still want to the boss or would you just take the money and let someone else handle the head aches?

Well thats an awfully big if in my book Mac, I mean I understand you are simply posing the question based upon sameness, but heck the biggest reason I am in business for myself is that I knew my talents were being under utilized working for corporate. Working for ones self IMO means always striving to do better, gain an edge, constantly looking for the new cheese if your current employer can't see that you are that type of a driven person then its time to move on.

yeah I guess if I could have the flexibility to operate as I do now vs. as I had to conform to before, I would work for the same pay and bennies and remain self employed.

olderthandirt
03-15-2006, 02:18 AM
Well thats an awfully big if in my book Mac, I mean I understand you are simply posing the question based upon sameness, but heck the biggest reason I am in business for myself is that I knew my talents were being under utilized working for corporate. Working for ones self IMO means always striving to do better, gain an edge, constantly looking for the new cheese if your current employer can't see that you are that type of a driven person then its time to move on.

yeah I guess if I could have the flexibility to operate as I do now vs. as I had to conform to before, I would work for the same pay and bennies and remain self employed.

Not me!!! I would be glad to let someone else take over everything and I just collect the paycheck if it was the same. To many yrs and to much BS. I've seen a lot of changes and I see where I believe the industries headed and It don't look promising for the small to medium size company. IMO You may not believe it now but there will come a time when there is no new "cheese" to look for, no matter how driven you are. And to be self employed you have to be driven, but the yrs of always trying to one up the competition takes its toll.
The jest of the thread was are you as excited about the season as the previous one and for me the answers no. I'm gonna be doing the same things ,maybe in a little different way and place but it still the same thing as I've been doing. Theres only so much 1 company can do UNLESS its a huge company with many different divisions. and thats how I see the future. Huge companies with an out door lighting division, a paver division, maintenance division and landscape division. And in house tech div. and marketing that no small co can match.

lawnguy26
03-15-2006, 08:37 AM
I've been in business for about six months and this will be my first summer. Obviously I'm excited as hell and I hope my enthusiasm continues for many years. Yes the business takes up most of my time, but I love the fact that I have control over everything, my prices, my hours, my applications and in the future the techs I hire and training.

I was a supervisor of big pest control company before. Making damn good money and not pushing any fert. I was miserable. All I did was deal with pissed off customers, crappy looking lawns and worthless techs. It's hard to comfort and reassure customers that you will fix their problems when you have no control or believe in the applications, prices or techs for that matter.

Control is what it's all about for me. I couldn't imagine ever working or answering to anybody else again.

Green-Pro
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Not me!!! I would be glad to let someone else take over everything and I just collect the paycheck if it was the same. To many yrs and to much BS. I've seen a lot of changes and I see where I believe the industries headed and It don't look promising for the small to medium size company. IMO You may not believe it now but there will come a time when there is no new "cheese" to look for, no matter how driven you are. And to be self employed you have to be driven, but the yrs of always trying to one up the competition takes its toll.
The jest of the thread was are you as excited about the season as the previous one and for me the answers no. I'm gonna be doing the same things ,maybe in a little different way and place but it still the same thing as I've been doing. Theres only so much 1 company can do UNLESS its a huge company with many different divisions. and thats how I see the future. Huge companies with an out door lighting division, a paver division, maintenance division and landscape division. And in house tech div. and marketing that no small co can match.

Gee Mac sounds like job burnout LOL. Really though your last point is exactly what I have laid out for a "roadmap" for my company. Lofty goals, high ideals? Sure. Will they pan out are they achievable given our current size and relative newness to the industry? I don't know, but I sure as hell aint gonna let the other guy my size or a little bigger get there before me :weightlifter: I know, I know you may say the newness will wear off it will become a job, but I would have to say that setting big targets or high goals constantly provides challenge and keeps thing fresh IMO. I am under no illusions it will be an easy road or that there will be nothing but candy canes and unicorns along the way. I am certain major headaches, heartaches, and sweat will be close companions at times.
When I started this the eventual place I want to take my company is exactly as you stated at the end of your post, to that end I anticipate having a managed lawn care/property maintenance division being managed by someone else within the next two years, while hardscapes/landscapes are managed by me or someone else. We have set up a different company to install synthetic putting greens, still in its pilot stage but we do have two customers expressing a desire for fairly large orders.
I'm not knocking or doubting what you post, it is with obvious conviction that you make these observations. To that end I would have to agree with you, but would also add this is primarily due to the general public being wal martized, home depotized, etc. whatever you want to call it, I don't like it any more than the next guy but do realize this is the world we live in and as a young company, in order to be successful we need to adjust and adapt to compete and continue to look for that new cheese. JMO.