PDA

View Full Version : if youre cheap enough...

Brianslawn
03-14-2006, 05:59 AM
more and more around here in walmartville people are caring less about quality and more about price. 70% of calls i get, people act like or even say that as long as im cheap enough, they dont care what the job looks like. anyone consider offering a cheap, half @$$ line of services for the growing number of walmartians? could you actually make more $$$ by doing cheap work?

one of the biggest companies here in town screws something up almost every day, yet the line grows to sign up with them, cause they are just so dam cheap!

i know... having a reputation for quality is better than one for cheap, but if cheap grew the biz faster.....? :confused:

ArkansasLawns
03-14-2006, 07:22 AM
When you first get a call ask the customer if they work for walmart. If so then tell them that you don't cut for anyone involved with walmart.:cool2: :cool2:

alwaysgreener
03-14-2006, 07:27 AM
"but if cheap grew the biz faster"

What kind of thinking is that??;)

geogunn
03-14-2006, 07:47 AM
look folks, it's all about the money.

if a cheapass customer wants the job done cheap, AND it is a money maker even if done on the cheap, I say provide the service.

I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take.

GEO

Richard Martin
03-14-2006, 07:52 AM
I'd rather pick and choose the better paying customers and work a little less. It'll take longer to grow your biz but it's worth it in the end.

alwaysgreener
03-14-2006, 08:06 AM
look folks, it's all about the money.

if a cheapass customer wants the job done cheap, AND it is a money maker even if done on the cheap, I say provide the service.

I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take.

GEO

You are so wrong...I would love to see your business plan?? You never make money by going backwards. You have to stick to your prices it's that easy.. This is not "Let's make a deal" If you lower your price your only hurting your business in the long run..

dlr1
03-14-2006, 08:31 AM
more and more around here in walmartville people are caring less about quality and more about price. 70% of calls i get, people act like or even say that as long as im cheap enough, they dont care what the job looks like. anyone consider offering a cheap, half @$$ line of services for the growing number of walmartians? could you actually make more $$$ by doing cheap work?

one of the biggest companies here in town screws something up almost every day, yet the line grows to sign up with them, cause they are just so dam cheap!

i know... having a reputation for quality is better than one for cheap, but if cheap grew the biz faster.....? :confused:
i think the ones who want a lower price are usually the first to complain as well

geogunn
03-14-2006, 09:21 AM
You are so wrong...I would love to see your business plan?? You never make money by going backwards. You have to stick to your prices it's that easy.. This is not "Let's make a deal" If you lower your price your only hurting your business in the long run..

sir--I think it is very pompous of you to indicate you know more about my business than I do and your public spanking isn't appreciated.

just for your information, I am very efficient in my market and I pick and choose my customers wisely as well as I do all of my decisions in in this business.

like I said, I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take. have you?

GEO

LwnmwrMan22
03-14-2006, 10:23 AM
I'll do jobs on the cheap.

Personally, I think quality is ABSOLUTELY over rated.

Seriously, it's grass cutting.

It's like a bad hair cut, if you don't like it, it'll be corrected next week.

Anyways, I guess doing jobs on the cheap is relavent as well, since I'm cheap in my market, yet I still average $75-100 / hour.

You look at JustMowIt.

I'd say they do jobs on the cheap. BUT there's other factors as well.

I'll only do it, if it's a one time gig, I don't have anywhere else I need to be immediately, and it's right next to, or across the street from a property I'm currently maintaining.

If you're going to set up your entire business this way, then you need to be in a densely populated area, because drive time will kill you.

That's what happened to me when I tried running with guys and doing residentials for $30-40 / week 8-9-10 years ago. Where I live, in order to have 130 yards, you're driving 50-60 miles / day. The windshield time basically killed me.

one man gang
03-14-2006, 10:40 AM
sir--I think it is very pompous of you to indicate you know more about my business than I do and your public spanking isn't appreciated.

just for your information, I am very efficient in my market and I pick and choose my customers wisely as well as I do all of my decisions in in this business.

like I said, I have never made a nickel on a job I didn't take. have you?

GEO

Get used to that on here. I agree with you. I do a couple of lawns where the people wanted a lower price and said they didn't care how it looked so I lowered it 5 bucks and do the quickest cut and runs I can. No edging and trim once a month(although the wouldn't care if I didn't) for the hell of it. They never complain and it's fast and easy money. The yards still look as good as many of the home owner cut yards in the hood. When I first started and tried to do a few bi weekly cuts that's who would complain even though I warned them about how it would look. IMO, it's the cheap rich ones who complain . And that's who I run from.

Summertime Lawn
03-14-2006, 10:49 AM
If you wanted to start a side of the business that only did cheaper work where quality didn't matter, and there is a demand for that, what about sending out an unmarked truck for those accounts. That way noone would associate the two companies together. Just a thought.

YGWBill
03-14-2006, 03:33 PM
I get the ones that want a good job for cheap

Runner
03-14-2006, 04:16 PM
If you wanted to start a side of the business that only did cheaper work where quality didn't matter, and there is a demand for that, what about sending out an unmarked truck for those accounts. That way noone would associate the two companies together. Just a thought.

This is the exact same concept that Bobby G, another member here, had. Where has he been, anyway...Anyone know?

Idealtim
03-14-2006, 04:23 PM
If you cant look back on your own properties and say they look good, why even cut it?I like to have pride in my work, whether its grass, walks, hardscapes, planting, posting my two cents:rolleyes:

2menandamower
03-14-2006, 04:30 PM
IdealTim,

I agree with you. I am sorry but I am not going to take a job for cheaper just so I can help it look like crap.... What if, just WHAT IF a neighbor is looking for a good LCO and you do a crappy job on the one you are cutting? Do you think they are going to call you??? NO WAY IN _ _ _ _!!!!! And Geo I understand that you none of us make money from a job that we don't have but why would you want to drive to make 10.00 an hour before expenses. I could work at Home Cheapo for that and not have to worry about hearing the crap that we have to hear.

Scott

LwnmwrMan22
03-14-2006, 05:12 PM

Here in MN, any commercial vehicle has to have a name, so you'd have to start up another company.

geogunn
03-14-2006, 05:15 PM
And Geo I understand that you none of us make money from a job that we don't have but why would you want to drive to make 10.00 an hour before expenses.

scott--the $10.00 figure you got must have been pulled out of one of you bodily orifices. it sure aint my figure. not even close for anything I do.

and BTW--are you affiliated with "2 men and a truck"? it sounds to me you may be dangerously close to a copyright infringement with the company name "2 men and a mower".

oh--and BTW, good luck to you on your mowing business, there are more people pulling lawn mowers in that town than anywhere I have ever seen.

GEO :waving:

lowballer17
03-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Cut, Edge & Trim for one low price of $17.00

2 calls yesterday: "Is that the best you can do on the price?, my lawn is very small"

Yes, that's the lowest price in town, small lawn=small price.

ICE
03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
Stick to your price! With everything else going up, you need to maintain your minimum cut price. I gave a MINIMUM price quote for an older gentleman, he was on a fixed income. I did the job pretty much out of the kindness of my heart, helped the guy out you know and he did nothing but nit pick everything I did. "You have to cut it like this"! " You're doing it all wrong!". He really did not have a kind word for me at all. After about an hour of that, I packed up my gear and went home. He said, 'what, you are going to quit on me now?' , I said 'yup!' He told me to at least come get my money, I told him he could keep it, cause I would not be back and he would need that money to get someone else to finish it. I am a pretty calm person, and thought that I could handle most situations with calmly talking over the problem, but he was WAY OUT THERE.

Regards,
Tim

Lux Lawn
03-14-2006, 07:06 PM
I get that all the time..."I want it to look good,but don't want to spend a lot of money."

lawnmaniac883
03-14-2006, 07:11 PM
I used to mow a lawn for 5 bucks each right. Neighbor next door, thought it was great money. Then I began to realize that why in the hell should they get their lawn cut for 5 bucks? Why when the person next door pays 20-30 per cut? We have a bad enough problem with people lowballing as it is but to start a business where lowballin is your pride and joy?

I can see it now...Brians Discount-4-U Lawn Cuttin lol.

Freddy_Kruger
03-14-2006, 07:15 PM
I do a couple of lawns where the people wanted a lower price and said they didn't care how it looked so I lowered it 5 bucks and do the quickest cut and runs I can. No edging and trim once a month(although the wouldn't care if I didn't) for the hell of it.
I'm glad you posted this, I was just mulling over a similar situation. I'm looking to get at least 100 jobs but I don't want to be a lowballer but if it's quick... I could always drop them if I get too busy.

Brianslawn
03-14-2006, 08:46 PM
I used to mow a lawn for 5 bucks each right. Neighbor next door, thought it was great money. Then I began to realize that why in the hell should they get their lawn cut for 5 bucks? Why when the person next door pays 20-30 per cut? We have a bad enough problem with people lowballing as it is but to start a business where lowballin is your pride and joy?

I can see it now...Brians Discount-4-U Lawn Cuttin lol.

i like it. i think i will use that. throw a couple murray push mowers in back of beat up s-10 and send couple of the least skilled workers out that i have. too bad two men and a mower is already took. that would be the perfect name!

thanks geo and others for the input.

jason_2005lawnman
03-14-2006, 08:57 PM

i know how u feel man; around here even the business's want it done cheap; i do 2 taco bells, long john silvers, dairy queen , two hotels and ect; and guess what; they all want it done cheap, they are so cheap they dont even care if they have weeds or what kind of grass they have; they say just keep the d**n grass mowed thats all we care , they say; even on their mulch and landscape they want me to do it as cheap as they can; thats all i hear cheap; i hate that word; but what do u do? i do it cheap and do a good job to so i have all their work; hey if i dont somebody else will; i do make sure i make a profit always; but its not a big one; but im not trying to get rich or be the biggest lawn service out there either; thats the way i look at it;

CuttinUP
03-14-2006, 09:13 PM
The cheap arses are the ones that b!^@% the most. In the beginning they say they don't care about this and that and then they turn into the thorn in your side. Calling every week say that you missed two blades of grass around their mail box, that there is a few grass clippings in the landscaping, can you cut it shorter because I can't see the stripes that well this time. Stick to your guns and have the pride and confidence in your self and your workmanship!!!:weightlifter: :weightlifter:

jason_2005lawnman
03-14-2006, 09:25 PM
The cheap arses are the ones that b!^@% the most. In the beginning they say they don't care about this and that and then they turn into the thorn in your side. Calling every week say that you missed two blades of grass around their mail box, that there is a few grass clippings in the landscaping, can you cut it shorter because I can't see the stripes that well this time. Stick to your guns and have the pride and confidence in your self and your workmanship!!!:weightlifter: :weightlifter:
i do take pride in my work man; and i do a hell of a job; i mow for people with million dollar house's ; i always do the best job for the money; but im not to good to mow for anybody rich,cheap, poor, whathave you; if they can pay i can mow;

prostriper
03-14-2006, 10:14 PM
I think of LCO's that offer door buster prices as having a slow "going out of business sale". They have the same expenses that we all do unless ther running with out proper liscensing and insurance.

oslo
03-15-2006, 06:33 AM
We have so many non-legits around here, and the number grows each year. Every time I turn around there is another guy with a lawnmower in the back of his truck. Guarentted not paying taxes/insurance etc... you can be sure they are driving the price down.

Seems like more and more ppl are thinking along the lines of "I just want my lawn cut" and don't care so much about quality, as long as it gets done and doesn't look bad.

I'm starting to agree with Lwnmwrman about the "quality is overrated". Around here the only "quality" that matters is dependability. Rarely have any new customer say "my last guy did a poor job" , but I get alot of" the last guy I had didn't always show up" and "the last company I had raised their prices too much."

Roger
03-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Oslo, I don't know exactly where you are working in the Pittsburgh market, but I hear the same things you mention in youru last two paragraphs. Rarely does somebody speak about quality of the last contractor. They are much more interested in somebody just showing up! That is probably the first matter that carries over from a previous contractor.

I've said it often: Lawn mowing for residential customers is far more about being dependable than about doing great work. I don't agree that is the way it should be, but that is reality. Doing good work has more to do with my own pride in workmanship than satisfying the customer's needs.

LwnmwrMan22
03-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Oslo, I don't know exactly where you are working in the Pittsburgh market, but I hear the same things you mention in youru last two paragraphs. Rarely does somebody speak about quality of the last contractor. They are much more interested in somebody just showing up! That is probably the first matter that carries over from a previous contractor.

I've said it often: Lawn mowing for residential customers is far more about being dependable than about doing great work. I don't agree that is the way it should be, but that is reality. Doing good work has more to do with my own pride in workmanship than satisfying the customer's needs.

That's the ticket..... just show up. People notice when the grass is long. If they don't notice the grass is long, you're doing your job, if you understand what I'm saying.

When was the last time you got a phone call?? Was it because the customer said "I didn't want the stripes going north and south, can you make sure you make them go east and west??"

Or was it "I know you were here 4 days ago, but the grass "looks" long, just wondering when you were going to mow again??"

Big Wes
03-15-2006, 01:29 PM
In my neighborhood where 99% of my business is the houses run $500K on up, and i get the people who ask me for a price and the first thing out of their mouths is "I don't have much money" yeah right.
Their estimate is automatically doubled.

btw: My rates start @ $40.00 per 1/2 acre on up. Business is good btw.

lowballer17
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Remember, us lowballers can make $. It requires the proper tools for the job. I would never cut a peanut size lot using a 36" wb. We use the mower that will cut the quickest and least cost for us. Driving from lot to lot also wastes time and $. Most lawns around here are way over priced. We are fully insured have no employees and pay no workmans comp because we are all partners. We have all worked for someone else and got tired of the bosses greed.