PDA

View Full Version : Adding Sides to trailer

SprinklerGuy
03-14-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey guys....I have an old 8x16 trailer...flatbed w/ 12 inch steel sides.....typical tandem axle cheapie trailer. I need to use it for the next few weeks to haul sh&t....the sides are too short.

I want to add sides quickly...today.....and I want them to last awhile and maybe even be removable. What is the best way to do this? I know someone on Lawnsite has more than likely done this and I would be much obliged if you would post some pics of how you did it. I am relatively handy w/ wood....but I am stumped and in a hurry...(sounds like our clients eh?)

Part of the problem is this trailer has no stake pockets....

Thanks in advance...

PaulJ
03-14-2006, 10:06 AM
GEt about 6 sheets of 1/2" or 3/4" OSB and some self drilling self tapping screws. If you use the 1/2" you will probably want to reinforce it with 2"x4" at least at the seams and corners. the 3/4 should be fine on its own

Two pieces on each side and cut the front and back pieces to fit. Attach to the side rails with the self drilling screws and your good to go. The OSB holds up better than you would think and is usually cheaper than plywood.
The self drilling and tapping screws work great and you can use them again when you want to put it back on. later.