PDA

View Full Version : Deere 7 iron II

Willofalltrades
03-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Has anybody demoed or bought one yet? Im debating getting the 727. I also believe it is easy to switch to mulching? Opinions

POPO4995
03-14-2006, 09:41 AM
I have seen them in person but havent used one yet.....key word YET.....:rolleyes: About the mulching, thats only when you get the 7 IRON II MOD Deck, or MULCH ON DEMAND deck. You have a lever you push down and it closes baffles on the underside of the deck for mulching. And when you wanna side discharge just pull the lever up. They look like really good engineered decks as usual but the MOD option is around $800.:waving:

rodneyskip
03-14-2006, 09:46 AM
I am with Willofalltrades- I am looking at purchasing one in the next two weeks and want to know if anyone has bought one yet and if they like.

Will- I am also looking at the 727. I haven't made up my mind between it and the 737 or even the 757 yet- why are you getting the 727 and what advice could you give to someone looking at all three?

Thanks!

slebeau20
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
I tested the new deck with the mulch on demand too. Talking about an improvement and the mulch on demand saved me about 30 minutes in blowing time. I thinking of trading in my old 717 and getting a new one just because of this new deck design.

Willofalltrades
03-14-2006, 09:22 PM
Rodneyskip the main reason the 727 is because of the price. I also like a trim side. On the larger mowers with the 52" deck the trim side is reduced. I also have a 5x8 trailer and a 60" will not fit through. If I could afford it I would get a 737 for the power. The other brands I am comsidering are Exmark and Scag. Mostly for their dealer support. All three have good dealers around here.

DLCS
03-14-2006, 09:40 PM
I wonder how Deere is getting the higher blade tip speed? They would have to be changing the deck pulleys to achieve thsi right. Why couldn't you make the older 7 Irons run the same speed?

jpmako
03-15-2006, 08:31 AM
I wonder how Deere is getting the higher blade tip speed? They would have to be changing the deck pulleys to achieve thsi right. Why couldn't you make the older 7 Irons run the same speed?

Mike,

I don't know if they are changing the pulleys or just increasing the rpm's.
Just a thought that I had last year, I increased the rpm's a little on my 777 and the cut quality was a little better in the tall stuff. I would think that if the pulleys on the 7 Iron II deck are a bigger diameter that they would swap to an older style deck. I am going to my dealer on Friday, I will measure the diameter of a new pulley and let everyone know if they are the same as what I have.

Jason

TLS
03-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Thats funny.

Deere made theirs spin faster.

And eXmark made theirs spin slower.

jtkplc
03-15-2006, 11:21 AM
Thats funny.

And from what I've read, they're both supposed to be improvements!

DLCS
03-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Thats funny.

I wonder why exmark made theirs spin slower? :confused:

TLS
03-15-2006, 12:03 PM
The size of the lift on their new blades is huge. This may have something to do with it.

They did it for a reason. Exmark usually doesn't just do things without researching first.

rodneyskip
03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Will of trades- have you priced the 727 and the 737 yet? If the dealer is willing to work with you some- the price difference is not that much. I know of one dealer that has a new ('06) 737 for $7300.

John Gamba
03-15-2006, 12:25 PM
I wonder why exmark made theirs spin slower? :confused:

The slower the blades, the less the grass sticked to the top and sides of the deck. It also helped with deck blowout or bending the grass down before iits cut.

rodneyskip
03-15-2006, 12:30 PM
The slower the blades, the less the grass sticked to the top and sides of the deck. It also helped with deck blowout or bending the grass down before iits cut.

John - is this their official reason?

Do they have a press release on this?

As far as bending the grass down before it is cut- my understanding is that this can be helped by the pitch of the blade- not the speed.

TLS
03-15-2006, 12:41 PM
As far as bending the grass down before it is cut- my understanding is that this can be helped by the pitch of the blade- not the speed.

How? :confused:

John Gamba
03-15-2006, 01:19 PM
John - is this their official reason?

Do they have a press release on this?

My thoughts only

John Gamba
03-15-2006, 07:23 PM

Maybe hes trying to understand something:hammerhead:

Tonyr
03-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I'm wandering if blade speed is all that important really.....but different blades certainly give different results....ok, look at the deere 7 iron, slow tip speed, but very wide blade, very high sail, in the jungles and crap I cut at times it is excellent. the raised front edge is the key to stringy grasses obviously, what I'm saying is....if you slow the blades down but put on blades like the deere ones, it will cut as good as a faster tip speed deck running normal blades.

The 7 iron of mine, while we all know my feelings towards deere, cuts so much better in the thick heavy muck than my '04 toro Z588E 60'' TFD could ever do. extra ponies helps a lot obviously.....but I'm now thinking tip speed isn't always going to give a better cut, it is what blade you use, mix n match etc.....

rambling on again.....did a disc in my back, doped up on painkillers!

John Gamba
03-16-2006, 05:50 AM

How does it take for a come back:confused:

John Gamba
03-16-2006, 06:27 AM
- my understanding .

Maybe this is where you are going wrong in this matter. Your parents should have taught you to listen when people in the know speak.:hammerhead: :laugh:

John Gamba
03-16-2006, 06:32 AM
I'm wandering if blade speed is all that important really.....but different blades certainly give different results....ok, look at the deere 7 iron, slow tip speed, but very wide blade, very high sail, in the jungles and crap I cut at times it is excellent. the raised front edge is the key to stringy grasses obviously, what I'm saying is....if you slow the blades down but put on blades like the deere ones, it will cut as good as a faster tip speed deck running normal blades.

The 7 iron of mine, while we all know my feelings towards deere, cuts so much better in the thick heavy muck than my '04 toro Z588E 60'' TFD could ever do. extra ponies helps a lot obviously.....but I'm now thinking tip speed isn't always going to give a better cut, it is what blade you use, mix n match etc.....

Good evening Mate:waving:

Willofalltrades
03-16-2006, 08:22 AM
rodneyskip, I was quoted a 727 with a stripe kit and a mulch kit for $7900. That was an '06 model. Also I stopped In at my local exmark dealer yesterday and I think I'm sold on the Z HP with the 56" deck. Im willing to pay the extra $600 for 4 inches more of deck. Also I Like the thought of a 27hp Kohler under the hood to. :weightlifter:

Willofalltrades
03-16-2006, 08:25 AM
Will of trades- have you priced the 727 and the 737 yet? If the dealer is willing to work with you some- the price difference is not that much. I know of one dealer that has a new ('06) 737 for $7300.

If I could get a price like that around here on a Deere I would seriously look into it. My dealers are all over priced on D:cry: eeres.

DLCS
03-16-2006, 08:32 AM
If I could get a price like that around here on a Deere I would seriously look into it. My dealers are all over priced on D:cry: eeres.

Shop around to other Deere dealers close by. I find the Deere dealers who deal primarily in turf equipment give better deals, don't know why. I got my latest 757 for around $7500 or so.

rodneyskip
03-16-2006, 04:05 PM
Ok guys- just bit the bullet- I ordered an 06 757 with 54" deck. It will be $7600 plus tax. Should be in next week. Will post pics when it comes in.

I originally was looking at the 657- but didn't know how it would work in the leaves in the fall with a bagger. Also didn't know if it would have a good resale value because it is a stander.

then we started looking at the 727, then for a little more we could get the 737, and for a little more we could get the 757. So that is where we stopped.
I got the 54" deck because I wanted to be able to haul it on my smaller trailer (save gas and keep mulch on larger trailer).

What do you think- did I make the right choice? Anyone with a 757- how happy are you with yours?

Thanks!

TLS
03-16-2006, 04:44 PM
Thats a big mower with a small deck.

Is there any trimside with the 54 on the 757?

John Gamba
03-16-2006, 04:45 PM
Thats a big mower with a small deck.

Is there any trimside with the 54 on the 757?

Maybe he (Understands) that the deck is big enough:laugh:

oldturf
03-16-2006, 05:13 PM

Hey Tonyr;
I have always been a big Toro fan and have a couple Of 27hp-62" cut Toros that I think are great machines, but! I demoed a 997 and was amazed at its performance. Thought about it a while and tried it again , just to confirm that my first impressions were true. I was a little concerned with Deere because of your problems but I have a great dealer and that machine impressed me so much that I now own one. It is truly a machine in a class by itself. I think it will probably be Deeres best seller ever. Mine is a 72" side discharge and so far all is well. Hope I have no trouble with Deere.

Tonyr
03-16-2006, 05:45 PM
congrats mate!

I have had zero problems with my new side discharge 997, awesome, no clogging, no overheating, runs all day in all conditions, hasn't faulted in any way, not even once.

the 997 side discharge is awesome, I love mine, it is a pleasure to own and opperate, and it does a fantastic job, the deck is perfect for the stuff I cut with the raised front....

I very much doubt you will have problems, the side discharge is great.

why the rear discharge wasn't as good I don't know, obviously I had the one in a million buggy one, anyway, that's all over now and now I'm back to making serious money with a good mower.

would I buy another SD 997.....with 60'' deck? Yes, in a split second, they are that good. Even after my saga, the new unit is that good I can see past that crap from last year.

Keep an eye on ya side decals, mine tend to peel off. will be replaced under warrantee.

do not wet the rubber seal around the radiator....it rots fast.

clean under the deck side covers daily, they really choke up....

make sure clippings don't build up on the inside of the drive tyre rims, sometimes it somehow does and jams the breaks. SD units don't have this prob much, only once in 80 hours.

keep that radiator clean as, you will find it stays clean for a long time anyway if the seals are working.

do not hose the radiator out to clean it....turns dust to mud, the bits left dry and cause partial blockages, even though the manual says so, don't.

think twice about the electric/hydro footlift, my other deere had it, didn't like it, but got used to it, I am not getting it put on the new mower, the decks are light, and I like to control how high to lift the deck. it robs some hp too.

make sure your dealer predelivers it properly, if the deck isn't set exact, it will be a PITA, but once set right, amazing!

on the right front corner of the deck is a right angled bracket that the chute sits in, imo, the deere chute is directed to downwards for heavy cutting, put a 6mm wide hose clamp on this bracket to act as a spacer, then the chute sits against it.....perfect discharge angle!

Keep us informed on ya new toy.....that stiff steering you have...it goes away....or ya arms get stronger, not sure lol, but it is a good hydro system.

Are you going to modify the tall ROPS?

oldturf
03-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the tips Tonyr, and no I don't think that I will modify the ROPS since they have caused me no problems. Are you modifying your? If so, Why?
I could not believe how much more I could mow with this thing and had to take a second look to prove it to myself. This 72" deck in heavy, thick grass mowed a little over 9 acres in 2 hrs. This was 10 inch grass down to 2 and one half inch. I was going to buy a brush hog rig but now I wonder if it is going to be necessary. I hope it last as long as I think it will.

Tonyr
03-16-2006, 06:27 PM
you bought a bush hog and a mower all in one unit!

mine bush hogs and does nice lawns, versatile.

the RD unit was flat out just mowing a large lawn, never did much heavy work with it, maybe 2 or 3 jobs.....but the new mower, bring em on! LOL.

I find the tall ROPS too tall, too hard to work around trees, that top bit is the prob.....was going to modify it but decided not too now that my biz is for sale.

for a 72'' deck, wow! gotta be happy about that! obviously you think I'm power crazy now, 997, 60'' SD.....I don't have power problems lol.

DLCS
03-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Ok guys- just bit the bullet- I ordered an 06 757 with 54" deck. It will be $7600 plus tax. Should be in next week. Will post pics when it comes in.

I originally was looking at the 657- but didn't know how it would work in the leaves in the fall with a bagger. Also didn't know if it would have a good resale value because it is a stander.

then we started looking at the 727, then for a little more we could get the 737, and for a little more we could get the 757. So that is where we stopped.
I got the 54" deck because I wanted to be able to haul it on my smaller trailer (save gas and keep mulch on larger trailer).

What do you think- did I make the right choice? Anyone with a 757- how happy are you with yours?

Thanks!

Honestly you are going to hate the 54" deck cause there is no trimability, too small of deck for the width of the machine.

rodneyskip
03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
Honestly you are going to hate the 54" deck cause there is no trimability, too small of deck for the width of the machine.

Well- I guess it is too late now- I ordered the machine today. Does anyone else have a 757? Does it have only 6" overhang with the 60" deck?

Maybe I will try to call in the morning and see if it is too late-but from what I understand it is.

AAAAHHHHHH! And I thought I had done so much research!!!!!!!!

DLCS
03-16-2006, 11:58 PM
I have 2 757's and i wouldn't want anyless over hang with the 60" deck. I don't see why the dealer wouldn't let you change the deck size.

rodneyskip
03-17-2006, 12:17 AM
Thanks for the heads up DCLS.

How do you like the 757? Do you think the new 7 iron deck is a Big improvement?

Thanks for any info.
Rodney

rodneyskip
03-17-2006, 12:23 AM
Dcls- The reason I ordered the 54" is trailer width. Do you think that a 54 will fit on a 60" wide trailer? Looking at some more pictures up close - it seems that the lenght of the wheelbase is almost 60" Can you measure and let me know?

Thanks!

Outdoor Services
03-17-2006, 12:35 AM
Well- I guess it is too late now- I ordered the machine today. Does anyone else have a 757? Does it have only 6" overhang with the 60" deck?

Maybe I will try to call in the morning and see if it is too late-but from what I understand it is.

AAAAHHHHHH! And I thought I had done so much research!!!!!!!!

You only loss 3 inches on each side of the deck. Thats the length of most people's pointer finger. If your mowing small yards under an acre or a little above an acre not too shure id go with a 5' deck. Bigger the deck more scalping you get.. If your cuts are over an acre, wide open flats, very little hills, then I'd go with a 60"
I grew up running a JD 140 with 48" deck with less trim than 3" never had a problem.

rodneyskip
03-17-2006, 01:19 AM
You only loss 3 inches on each side of the deck. Thats the length of most people's pointer finger. If your mowing small yards under an acre or a little above an acre not too shure id go with a 5' deck. Bigger the deck more scalping you get.. If your cuts are over an acre, wide open flats, very little hills, then I'd go with a 60"
I grew up running a JD 140 with 48" deck with less trim than 3" never had a problem.

The issue is not a loss of 6" (though a 60" deck is more than 10" bigger than a 54"). The real issue is the potential loss of overhang on the trim side. 3" of trim is better than 0" of trim.

I hope someone else will log in here tonight and tell me that they have a 757 or a 737 with a 54" deck and that it has plenty of trim.

John Gamba
03-17-2006, 05:47 AM
The issue is not a loss of 6" (though a 60" deck is more than 10" bigger than a 54"). The real issue is the potential loss of overhang on the trim side. 3" of trim is better than 0" of trim.

I hope someone else will log in here tonight and tell me that they have a 757 or a 737 with a 54" deck and that it has plenty of trim.

Maybe deere should of had a press release Fool:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

rodneyskip
03-17-2006, 07:13 AM
Maybe deere should of had a press release Fool:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Fool?

HA HA???

Help a brother out- where is the love?

John Gamba
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
Fool?

HA HA???

Help a brother out- where is the love?

I'll have a press release soon:)

Outdoor Services
03-17-2006, 09:37 AM

popo4995 has a 2004 737 54" Deck in his avatar list. Maybe pm him get his thaughts....
My understanding from my dealer is the 757 is same as 737 just 2 more horses on the 757.

Outdoor Services
03-17-2006, 10:38 AM
sorry for dubble post. Just got of the phone with dealer in my area, the 737 and 757 are same machinces same tire ect. Just the 737 has 23hp and 757 has 25 hp. Now the decks: the 54" deck clears the track of the machine. Its 1-1.5" out past the outside of the back tire. Deere dealer said: Deere offered last year the option of smaller back tires with the 54" deck but discontiued that this year as no one went to smaller tires ever.

DLCS
03-17-2006, 10:51 AM

No, you actually lose about 5 inches on the trim side. Since the 7 Iron decks on the ztraks are offset for more trim on the trim side. using a 60" deck will be no different than using a 54" deck on lawns smaller than a acre and a 60 will not scalp any more than a 54" deck which is not a problem on the 757's. Running a garden tractor is different than a z turn since one of the biggest advantages of a z turn is its trimablility.

DLCS
03-17-2006, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the heads up DCLS.

How do you like the 757? Do you think the new 7 iron deck is a Big improvement?

Thanks for any info.
Rodney

I love my 757's. Don't really know about the 7 iron II, haven't tried it yet.

DLCS
03-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Dcls- The reason I ordered the 54" is trailer width. Do you think that a 54 will fit on a 60" wide trailer? Looking at some more pictures up close - it seems that the lenght of the wheelbase is almost 60" Can you measure and let me know?

Thanks!

May fit but its going to be tight. Buy a trailer to fit the mower, not the other way around.

DLCS
03-17-2006, 11:01 AM
sorry for dubble post. Just got of the phone with dealer in my area, the 737 and 757 are same machinces same tire ect. Just the 737 has 23hp and 757 has 25 hp. Now the decks: the 54" deck clears the track of the machine. Its 1-1.5" out past the outside of the back tire. Deere dealer said: Deere offered last year the option of smaller back tires with the 54" deck but discontiued that this year as no one went to smaller tires ever.

The tires were not neccesarily narrower but were shorter and had rounded shoulders. Deere offered them cause they didn't damage the turf as easily in soft conditions.

Outdoor Services
03-17-2006, 11:26 AM
So in a Nut shell do u think a 757 with a 54" deck is ok for under acre properties, or would u still go 60"

TLS
03-17-2006, 11:28 AM
60" is the perfect residential lawn size.

Only reason to go smaller would be to fit inside a certain size gate.

DLCS
03-17-2006, 11:56 AM
So in a Nut shell do u think a 757 with a 54" deck is ok for under acre properties, or would u still go 60"

I would still go with a 60" deck on the 757, no doubt in my mind. The only way I would go with a 54" deck if it was on the smaller frame ztrs.

Outdoor Services
03-17-2006, 12:05 PM
I would still go with a 60" deck on the 757, no doubt in my mind. The only way I would go with a 54" deck if it was on the smaller frame ztrs.

I'm having hard time with this one cause for 1250 bucks more I can go 777 2 more horse and liquid cooled 60" cut.
Think thats a better choice than a 757 with 60" deck or are we back to the same think bigger mower to small of deck?

rodneyskip
03-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Hey guys- thanks for everyone's input. I called the Local JD this morning and changed my order to a 60" deck... Now the waiting game starts.

Also the looking game- looking for a 6x10 or 6x12 trailer.

POPO4995
03-18-2006, 01:50 AM
popo4995 has a 2004 737 54" Deck in his avatar list. Maybe pm him get his thaughts....
My understanding from my dealer is the 757 is same as 737 just 2 more horses on the 757.
Rodneyskip you did the right thing by going with the 60". Dont get me wrong I love my 737 but the extra 6" would be nice. It is a little pain in the arse sometimes but no biggie. Next time I will get a 60", when my 737 gets replaced. Wherever one of my machines slacks, one of the others picks up the ball!:waving: :waving:

7 IRON
03-18-2006, 11:42 PM
I Love The 60 On My 737!Cuts Great And Like The Little Extra Size For Trimming.

Outdoor Services
03-27-2006, 03:47 PM
Hey guys- thanks for everyone's input. I called the Local JD this morning and changed my order to a 60" deck... Now the waiting game starts.

Also the looking game- looking for a 6x10 or 6x12 trailer.

How do you like the new mower? Get out there and use it yet?

rodneyskip
03-28-2006, 12:52 AM
How do you like the new mower? Get out there and use it yet?

Thanks for asking. I am pretty happy with it. For those of you who don't know_ I now live in Arkansas and we are moving to Ky (I am going tomorrow- the family follows at the end of the week- most of our belongings follow first of next week). Anyway- I picked up my new 757 last Saturday morning in KY. A friend and I left here at 3:00 a.m. for the 5+ hour drive. We picked up the new 757 at a dealership in Ky and mowed 3 accounts. I put about 4 hours on it. Then I came back here to Arkansas that night (home about 9:00 pm).

My answer is I think I like it because Saturday was such a hazy blur. We were in such a hurry to get all the accounts finished and to visit my other customers there so as to secure our accounts. I left the JD in ky at my inlaw's house and have not had much time to really get familiar with it. I will let you know my full review in a few weeks. But here are some initial impressions:

1) The deck was great! No sign of any clumping at all. Even though it was semi wet grass and spitting snow all day. the clippings dispersed evenly and were invisible.

2) The mower handled well. Felt much more secure on a slope than my old Dixon ztr ever did. ( And this is with less than 4 hours of experience). Reverse was a little less sensitive than I would have liked, but it just takes some getting used to.

3) I hate that you have to put the machine in neutral before you can engage the parking brake. It was not an issue on Saturday, but I kept wondering what do you do on a hill, or on your trailer? (The machine will die if you put it gear with the parking brake on.) It just didn't "feel" safe.

4) The footplate has traction (raised cut-out holes) on the bottom, but not on the edges (Where your toes are). I wanted a little more traction in the seat at times.

5) The machine was SOLID. Real nice- Bet it lasts a LONG time.

6) The machine almost has too many grease points.

7) I loved the deck height selection. You push a lever with your right foot to raise the deck, and then dial in a knob on your right for the desired cutting heighth. The foot lever was also very useful to clear obstacles as I was mowing.

8) Seat was pretty comfortable, but the armrests were almost useless. The only thing they were good for was to hold you in the seat a little tighter.

9) I was mowing high wet grass on a pretty good slope at times. A few times the mower seemed to bog down a little if I was running wide open, but this might get better as the engine is broken in. But I have to say- the cut quality never suffered during these times.

10) Everytime I engaged the PTO it seemed like it would kill the motor. I am not real happy with that. But it is probably nothing- or it might get better as the belts are stretched a little and as the motor gets stronger past the break-in stage.

11) Looking at the mower (757 with 60" deck) it seems that it has little trim, but in practice, the amount of trim seemed fine, but I am VERY happy I got the 60".

12) Again I have to say the deck cut great!

13 ) Many of you know I debated getting a 657 instead (a JD surfer) of the 757. I went with the 757 for two reasons : better resale, better baggin options (for leaves). I did notice however that it would have made one property eaiser to mow if I had the quiktrak that I could have jumped off of along the way and moved things. I think the z does tend to make the operator lazy at times.

14) I sorta wish I had bit the bullet and bought the MOD deck. It would be great along roadways, driveways, sidewalks, mulched beds, and when mowing around your help that is trimming nearby.

Good night

slebeau20
03-28-2006, 08:34 AM
When engaging the pto the engine does that because of the style clutch they've put in the machine. It will make the spindle by the motor last longer and it helps prevent the belt from stretching. I had the same question during the demo, and this was the reasoning given to me.

TLS
03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
All electric PTO's will bog the engine during low RPM engagement.

This is nothing new.

Here is a tip though to prevent this.

Give 1/4 throttle.

Pull out the choke until the engine just starts to stumble.

Then engage the PTO.

Push in choke and FULL THROTTLE MOWING!

rodneyskip
03-28-2006, 09:51 AM
TLS-This is not the first electric pto mower that I have used. When I say the mower bogs down I meant to imply that it bogs down FAR FAR FAR greater than any mower I have ever seen.
I will try what you said- but I am doubtful at this point. I tried engaging the pto at every throttle position and it did the same. The manual says to engage the throttle between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle. I tried it everywhere from 1/4 to full throttle. Maybe this is the way it was designed, hopefully it is. Again I was just giving my early observations after mowing 3-4 hours.

I am heading to KY in a few hours and will be mowing for the next few days. I will also be without internet for a while during the move, but will let you guys know any further observations when I get set back up.

Until then- Happy Mowing!

Tonyr
03-28-2006, 04:57 PM
from my experience, often mowers are demoed before a thorough pre delivery process has been done, sounds to me like the revs were too low, I'd be asking dealer to check revs, choke etc.....