PDA

View Full Version : Rear tires

one man gang
03-14-2006, 01:21 PM
What's the easiest way to change the rear tires(aside from sending it to the shop) on my Gravely 36" belt drive?

work_it
03-14-2006, 01:24 PM
I've done this one before and will never do it again. I take mine to a service station or tire store now. They only charge me $10, and it's well worth the money.

dfor
03-14-2006, 01:59 PM
It has been a few years since I had to change them on mine (16x6.50x8) What I did was heat them up a little with a torpedo heater and they went on pretty easy. The smaller ones will probably be a little harder to get on.

Roger
03-14-2006, 02:37 PM
I bought new tires for my w/b over 2004-5 Winter season. I knew from previous experience that getting them changed was difficult. I took the wheels (with old tires mounted) and new tires to a tire shop who has done work for me before numerous times. At that time, I was in no hurry.

I stopped in after about a week and was shown one of the new tires -- the side wall had a huge gash, "... we had some trouble." I ordered a new tire and took it to him and he was successful. We agreed on "no charge" for getting them mounted, as the process cost me an extra tire.

My point is you may wish to take it to a dealer, or service center who has equipment and experience in handling these sized tires. Apparently their equipment for tire changing is so strongly adapted for auto and truck tires, they cannot handle the 16X6.5-8, or similar sizes. The tire shop down the street may not be the best place to have them changed out.

A few years ago, I offered help to a friend with a JD 170. Her front tires were badly worn (too low pressure, lots of hard turns on pavement). I took the wheels to the JD dealer, got the tires and accepted their offer to change out the old, to the new tires. I was watching two men work for a long time, and with much difficulty getting these little tires mounted. They are a bit smaller than mentioned above. So ... even the JD dealer had problems!

TLS
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Small or big. Take it to a tire shop (that has small tire capabilities) or to your mower dealer. They do more in a day then all of us have done in our lives!

Some things done youself just aren't worth the hassle.....this would be one of them!

Signature Landscaping1
03-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Just take em to your dealer, or any other shop, $10 is what they ussaly charge.

Jpocket
03-14-2006, 03:53 PM
Soup, water, ratchet strap, and a flat screw driver. Takes a little fumbling around but you'll get it.

mulcahy mowing
03-14-2006, 03:57 PM
take em to my school auto shop dose them free for me:usflag:

JKOOPERS
03-14-2006, 06:30 PM
i used to work for firestone so i change my tires in about 10 min each tire. once you get a system they arent bad at all.

John Gamba
03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
I've done this one before and will never do it again. I take mine to a service station or tire store now. They only charge me $10, and it's well worth the money.

YUP:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

one man gang
03-15-2006, 12:48 AM
YUP:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well ,I'm thinkin taking them in is the way to go.
Thanks for the all the good help