PDA

View Full Version : LOL Marcus!

sheshovel
03-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Gardner calls these wedges "chinkers," and he dislikes them. "We discourage chinking... For one thing, correct placement alone should seat a stone solidly, without requiring the adjustment provided by a chinker." He repeats this view in his section on single-stack walls:

Builders who try to stabilize dubious placements by counterbalancing them with other stones or propping them up with chinkers only guarantee that inevitable future problems will metastasize to perfectly sound sections above and beside the original error. (p.85)

Kate Butler
03-14-2006, 05:53 PM
There's a HUGE difference between structural chinking and aesthetic chinking.

It's often necessary to place some "fill wedges", even though the stones above and below are totally stable, because there is an unattractive gap at the face of the work. I find this to be perfectly acceptable - even necessary - for visual harmony.

A different solution would be to push in soil and plant the area with sempervivums (hens & chickens) or some other hardy alpine-type plant.

MarcusLndscp
03-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Boy you have alot of free time on your hands!!! :laugh: I can assure you that we do not stabilize these large stones with these small chinks. We are on a tight budget with this wall so hammering and chiseling to get tight joints is not allowed instead we set the blocks and fill in the gaps with small chinkers. I could not agree with you more about stabilizing large stones with chinks. It all depends on interlocking all your stones to create a long lasting wall.
I however do disagree with you on one thing. I feel if you chink a wall it can be done tastefully and dis-tastefully. A bunch of real tiny pieces typically look like hell but if you get bigger pieces involved to fill each gap as one piece it looks okay and you have to be consistent throughout the wall with your style.

MarcusLndscp
03-14-2006, 05:57 PM
Right on Kate....well said coming from a fellow New Englander:clapping:

sheshovel
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
OH I got that from a book written in the 1800's about building stone walls in England.Just seeing what you would say to it.Yes I have had alot of time on my hands snow..snow...snow and I am out of books to read.Read out my local library already,Non Fiction sections anyway

Kate Butler
03-15-2006, 05:45 AM
Vermont's libraries are all in together with something called the inter-library system. If any one library has the book you want, they will send it to you through the mail, you can keep it for two weeks and then send it back to the library of origin...even text and specialty books (like from the medical school, or any university). WAY COOL!!

Check and see if your state has a similar program and you'll never be bored again. Or....learn to love fiction, Historical fiction is one of my favorites; Dorothy Dunnett, Lady Antonia Fraser, Ken Follett, etc..

Squizzy246B
03-15-2006, 06:30 AM
metastasize

I having some problems with that word???...is it borrowed from a ***** enlargement advert?:confused: ;)

MarcusLndscp
03-15-2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah Sheshovel, I saw you guys got hit pretty hard with the white stuff! Better you than me.

Squizzy when I auditioned for that tv ad I had a really hard time pronouncing that word. I think that's why I didn't get the part.....

Squizzy246B
03-15-2006, 08:12 AM
I had a really hard time . So they decided to get a stunt double??

sheshovel
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Will do Kate thanks!