PDA

View Full Version : laser grade finder

jacob land and
03-14-2006, 07:01 PM
does anyone know some good laser grade finder companys, how hard are they to use?

Dreams To Designs
03-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Are you referring to rotary lasers. Like the ones made by Dewalt, Porter Cable, CST/Berger, Spectra Precision, Apache, PLS, AGAtec or Topcon? Check www.laserlevels.net

Kirk

drsogr
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
I have been looking into using one. Are they difficult to use? Does it take a while to learn how to use it right?

Dreams To Designs
03-15-2006, 10:19 AM
A laser level is basically very simple to use. They come with simple instructions and are a great investment. get one as a kit with the detector, stick and tripod as a kit with a good case. One important thing you need to consider is who will service the laser. They need to be calibrated regularly and any rough treatment or droppage will necessitate recalibration. So price is not the issue, service is. Be wary of lasers that don't use standard batteries, because if you forget to charge the unit or it dies halfway through the day, you are in trouble unless you can just throw a set of batteries in. Integrated slope is a feature many like, but most do not use. You should be able to determine your slope and mark accordingly on the stakes you set out. The self leveling feature is almost a must have as this makes your life much easier and will correct themselves if there is minor movement. Now, if someone kicks the tripod, you had better have set a benchmark stake to readjust and go from there. Buy a good quality that has good service behind it and you will have the laser for a very long time.

Kirk

jacob land and
03-15-2006, 12:45 PM
what sort of things can you do with the laser?

drsogr
03-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Would you recommend any particular brand of laser? What should I expect to spend on a good laser?

CutRight
03-15-2006, 04:49 PM
search rotary laser transit on google and you will get a lot of stuff.

im looking to get one by the brand of LaserMark LM-800
the kit runs around $1100, works great for grading and drainage, does everything. i know a lot of guys that use them, other laser systems can be attached to your equipment such as dozers or excavator buckets and indicated when you are at the correct depth or grade you want to achieve.
there are a lot of applications

PSUturf
03-15-2006, 11:07 PM
I personally have a Porter Cable. It seems to have a somewhat limited range in bright sunlight compared to other brands. I think I paid about $500 for tripod, detector, laser, and stick. We have a Laser Mark at work and I haven't heard anything bad about it.