PDA

View Full Version : SHURflo pumps

TSM
03-14-2006, 07:09 PM
how is it that every shurflo pump on our PG's worked fine last fall but now they dont work at all?????

machines are stored in a heated warehouse (we keep the warehouse at 45*)
pumps were flushed with fresh water at the end of the season last year

this happens every spring with at least one pump...but this year its every one of them

we have several extras so its just a matter of a few minutes each unit to change them over....just dont get it?

southernlandscapespecial
03-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I have the same problem with my shurflo pumps also. I even have one on my boat for a washdown system and you can count on replacing it once a year

BSDeality
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM
did you try rapping on it with a hammer? it might just be bound up with some surface rust inside and need a little vibration to get going again.

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
03-15-2006, 08:14 AM
If it is turning ok but won't prime the problem is most likely in the valves which can become stuck shut when the pump is not used for a while, especially with chemicals in it. However you did mention you flushed it with water. I am not sure how the pump is plumbed into your system but, if possible, you might try force priming it by putting garden hose pressure to the inlet and having an open outlet. This will often unstick the valves. If you take the pump head apart you can easily see the valve assembly. Keep in mind that whenever you are trying to prime a pump it is best to have no restriction on the outlet so that the pump can evacuate the air. Good luck.

TSM
03-15-2006, 10:50 AM
thanks for the responses.

did tap with hammer (actually a wrench)...nothing
we try force priming with a garden hose...nothing

so while the guys were replacing the pumps i took one apart...seems to have been stuffed up with what looks like cotton?....so i took another apart, same cotton material, i mean a ton of it stuffed in the intake

so, as i was pondering how this could have happened one of the guys reminded me of the employee i repermanded for constantly being late, he eventually quit and turns out he was the one who flushed the pumps...guess he wanted to get back at me?
all pumps now working properly (except one that is frozen and was trhe newest pump, rusted up pretty good)

mystery solved

Rhett@Gregson-Clark
03-15-2006, 11:24 AM
One last suggestion. Find your ex-employee and try force priming or tapping him with a hammer. :hammerhead:

TSM
03-15-2006, 04:01 PM
One last suggestion. Find your ex-employee and try force priming or tapping him with a hammer. :hammerhead:
yeah, believe me i have thought about that too. but this is the new me, kinder, gentler. besides i understand he is now with chemlawn AND serving our general market area. so we expect a huge growth this season:)

Fertboy
03-18-2006, 03:49 PM
The shurflos are sketchy. I purchased a 23' CC fishing boat in 04. When I got into the guts of her , I found a shurflo as the bilge pump. That was the fist thing I pulled off her. No way have a shurflo on my boat, and take on water?