PDA

View Full Version : Retaining walls

Lawnbiz
03-14-2006, 09:44 PM
I am going to build my first wall. Here are the walls I am considering.

Keystone - Standard Striaghtface
8"x18"

Versa Lok - Standard
6"x 16"

Allan Block
8" x 12"

What are your thoughts on these products and what is everyone paying for there blocks.

Grn Mtn
03-14-2006, 09:48 PM
A better question might be what are your plans for the wall: Decorative or functional, short or tall, straight or curved and what is available to you.
Pricing is fairly constant $8-12 a block. Good luck to ya, and I hope your back is in good shape:laugh:

Lawnbiz
03-14-2006, 11:45 PM
I have a slope in the front of the home I would like to level off with a 3-5 foot wall. It would be a straight shot with no curves. It doesnt have to be anything fancy. I am just looking for some opinions on what others are doing and paying.

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I just got home from a Versa Lok seminar..I would go with them...easy to understand..simple to work with and you can get short, tall, curved, decorative & functional, or whatever you can dream up !...they have a excellent web site that offers technical and training info...good luck

Grn Mtn
03-16-2006, 11:40 AM
...I just got home from a Versa Lok seminar...

So did I :drinkup:

Do a Versa-Lok Standard wall 4' high, bury 1 block and use 2 layers of geogrid going 4' back. Top off with a 18" standard freestanding so if you put a patio in between the wall and the house no one will fall over the edge.:cool2:

neversatisfiedj
03-16-2006, 01:12 PM
I use nothing but versa-lok . The easiest one to work with for versitility. Their weathered block looks really good.

CAG
03-17-2006, 02:13 AM
I think I used that allen block before thats the one u have to fill with stone right?? I wasn't to impressed with that system!!!

Mike33
03-17-2006, 07:29 PM
I use allen block, the size is 17 3-4 long 7 3-4 wide . I have over 100 in my area there is nothing i have seen any better. Retaining walls are made to drain and the hollow core helps with it. Versa - lock the one i look at i did not care for build a wall with a heavy block then put a plastic clip in it :nono: . We have an allen block wall in our area 40' in height with a swimming pool in the back yard that is a big surcharge and it can hold it. I will opionate very hard on this product because i have been building them for years and have built 137 to be exact.
mike

KeystoneLawn&Landscaping
03-17-2006, 08:30 PM
Versa Lok has a wall as high as 66 feet! I believe that one has a Lowes receiving area above it, not the same surcharge as a swimming pool, but alot of forces there!

Mike33
03-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I still think the hollow core is the ticket. Do a over kill on gravel might cost a few bucks extra but when it rains you can sleep well. You also should consider on buiding any wall the option of at a later date of making it higher. Engineer it for reason: Bury a full block then it can go 7-8' high. Grid it 70% gravel 2-3' behind. Then 1 day your customer calls you back to extend the 4' wall to 6' you will not be embarrrased. We have done this a few times.
Check our website it is new, my son did it for me and we will add some better pics soon.
mike

www.bobcatservice33.com

kootoomootoo
03-18-2006, 01:50 PM
Versalok mosaic tumbled and the tumbled cobbles work great, Hate the standards because they are too heavy.

Dont see how a hollow block filled with gravel with a cap drains any better.

New Hanover distributor around the corner.
Have very nice faux stone walls.

http://www.hanoverpavers.com/pdfs/CSGW06.pdf

About $17 a face foot though.

Mike33
03-18-2006, 04:25 PM
The block it self can drain also. It is a 77 lb. block with 4 shovels of gravel in it makes a heavier system. Also laying the geo-grid the gravel can bite down thru the grid like it is intended to do under the block. I also like the lip system especially in the front. I have seen other block cant think of the names off hand that has the front lip. They are easy to work with and makes a strong system. I can't get in to the idea of installing a plastic clip. My block run me around $ 5.50 for the regular Allen block. I am not sure about many others we do have ep henry dealer i think they are a little more?

mike

cedarcroft
03-20-2006, 12:40 AM
I just got a quote of $7.75 for AB here in LI, NY. Our prices are usually more expensive than the rest of the country (except California) but that is still a good price for a decent quality block. FOr Anchor jumbos we pay about $10.

Paradise Landscapes
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I just got home from a Versa Lok seminar..I would go with them...easy to understand..simple to work with and you can get short, tall, curved, decorative & functional, or whatever you can dream up !...they have a excellent web site that offers technical and training info...good luck

Did you go to the one in Pittsburg?

Mike33
03-21-2006, 07:06 PM
I just got a quote of $7.75 for AB here in LI, NY. Our prices are usually more expensive than the rest of the country (except California) but that is still a good price for a decent quality block. FOr Anchor jumbos we pay about $10.
Thats a bull **** price i pay only $ 5.70 for ab stone here in md.
mike

cedarcroft
03-21-2006, 10:46 PM
I wish I could pay $5.70 a block. everything is more in LI. They claim its due to shipping costs. Bulls**t is right.
Nice wall pics on the website BTW.

Mike33
03-21-2006, 11:25 PM
I wish I could pay $5.70 a block. everything is more in LI. They claim its due to shipping costs. Bulls**t is right.
Nice wall pics on the website BTW.
Just for kicks and giggles try my local manuf. of allen block they might be able to steer you to a different dist with better prices. They are Nitterhouse in Waynesboro , Pa. or www.nitterhouse.com Karla Tosten is my sales rep.
mike

kris
03-22-2006, 07:51 AM
Check our website it is new, my son did it for me and we will add some better pics soon.
mike

www.bobcatservice33.com

Hey Mike..nice to see you have a website... just wanted to give you a heads up..a couple of the link buttons didnt work for me. The return to website button after viewing the guestbook and on home page where it says New... about a picture of your house and digitally animate it so you can view what your finished product will look like. To view examples Click Here...The click here didnt work for me either.

neversatisfiedj
03-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Mike I pay 6.25 for AB here in Baltimore

Mike33
03-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Hey Mike..nice to see you have a website... just wanted to give you a heads up..a couple of the link buttons didnt work for me. The return to website button after viewing the guestbook and on home page where it says New... about a picture of your house and digitally animate it so you can view what your finished product will look like. To view examples Click Here...The click here didnt work for me either.
Thanks, step son is going to do more work on it
Thanks,
mike