PDA

View Full Version : Block Splitters

jreiff
03-14-2006, 08:56 PM
For those if you who have block splitters, was wondering which one you prefer. The one where you break the block by pulling the lever over or the one that has the hydraulic pump? We have used one with the hydraulic pump and seem to work really well. Nice splits and all. Is there a big difference in splits between the lever action and hydraulic splitter?

YardPro
03-15-2006, 06:44 AM
we have the probst block splitter and it works fine.
i can't see any reason for the hydro one. the manual is not hard to use.

jreiff
03-15-2006, 09:02 PM
How are the splits with you Block Splitter YardPro?

We went an looked at one today, a used one that a fellow landscaper has for sale that he wants to get rid of, because he is going out of business. We tested it out and seemed that all the split split alittle off. ONe side would be conave, the other would be convex. This ever happen to you???

MarcusLndscp
03-15-2006, 10:21 PM
The manual one works fine for block. We have a hydraulic one as well that worked great on some types of natural stone. I'm not sure if I would invest the extra money in a hydraulic one if I were just going to use it for block but since it splits some of the natural stone we use very well the hydraulic one is worth it's weight in gold. Your worries about corner stones for columns and end of walls are over...you can make them damn near perfect every time depending on the stone

cgland
03-15-2006, 10:42 PM
We have the block splitter from Pavetech as well. We don't have any problems with concave splits, so I would walk away and buy a new one.

Chris

mbella
03-15-2006, 11:25 PM
Does anybody else still do their splits old school? We use a saw and a chisel. It's fast and easy.

chevytrucks84
03-15-2006, 11:34 PM
how much does a block splitter cost...do you guys use this for all of you pavers or do you use a saw for cleaner cuts on pavers that aren't tumbled

Thanks
Patrick

kris
03-16-2006, 05:45 AM
Does anybody else still do their splits old school? We use a saw and a chisel. It's fast and easy.

We have a manual wall splitter but yes Mike lots of times I have split with hammer and chisel without even using the saw....especially smaller block like a split stack.

YardPro
03-16-2006, 06:41 AM
How are the splits with you Block Splitter YardPro?

We went an looked at one today, a used one that a fellow landscaper has for sale that he wants to get rid of, because he is going out of business. We tested it out and seemed that all the split split alittle off. ONe side would be conave, the other would be convex. This ever happen to you???

never had an issue with a crooked split. the probst has replacable breaker blades. the one you looked at may have a bent blade.

the splitters are about $100.00

and mbella, i only use a chizel for small stuff where the splitter is too bulky.
the splitter is so much faster than the chisel, why would you want to not use it?

kris
03-16-2006, 07:08 AM
the splitters are about $100.00

$100 ! We cant be talking about the same splitter... I can't remember the exact price but it was a helluva lot more than $100

cgland
03-16-2006, 07:22 AM
I think he meant $1000. We use ours only for block and caps. We use the table saw for border cuts and we overlay and cut in place with a chop saw.

chris

GreenMonster
03-16-2006, 07:50 AM

Yeah, I still do. However, I find it to be a PITA and time consuming.

jreiff
03-16-2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the posts and info. Mich appreciated. We did not get the block splitter that the guy had for sale. Looked pretty tough. I am going to check out the Pavetech splitter. Seems like for your post and others that it is a good, dependable splitter. One draw back about the hydraulic one is the size and weight. Thanks again.

neversatisfiedj
03-16-2006, 12:55 PM
It doesn't mess your sand bed up when you cut in place /?

Doug Z.
03-16-2006, 02:30 PM
As we speak, I've got my local welding shop building me one. I was able to borrow my suppliers splitter for them to copy. I also did a job next to another landscaper last year. He had a homeade one. He told me to come over and take some picks of it. I'm going for a mixed breed of the two. And it'll be about a 5th of the cost.

jreiff
03-16-2006, 02:49 PM
We thought about that. But jsut decided that we will let the block splitter company do that. Post some pics when you get it done.