PDA

View Full Version : DW 410 Users

Bobcat s250 NY
03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering how this machine is on established laws. I have had the machine for alil over a year and have not used it on an established lawn. The majority of my work is big residential total rip outs and installs which dont have lawns, or commercial projects which also dont have lawns. The problem i have is that i have a few smaller residential installs to do that have lawns and i am afraid that the machine is going to tear them apart. Usually i use a 230 piper for grass jobs, but i love this 410 so much i dont think i can ever go back to the other. Does it help if i have that sod Wheel? Thanks for your time and input.:usflag:

Dirty Water
03-14-2006, 11:14 PM
With the sod wheel, it is awesome on establish lawns. I've got a picture or two, but I'll need to find them.

PurpHaze
03-14-2006, 11:22 PM
With the sod wheel, it is awesome on establish lawns. I've got a picture or two, but I'll need to find them.

Don't let Jon fool you. He's always promising to post some good pics and never delivers. Here's his trencher and it DOES damage established lawns. :laugh:

BSME
03-15-2006, 12:14 AM
Jon.... you ever use the 255sx?

I'm selling mine and was going to buy a brand new 255 until I talked to the salesman about the 410... The one thing that is still holding me back is that it's wider and would be hard to fit into backyards with gates.

I REALLY want the 410 but it's almost $7k more...

also... what kind of trailer do you use for it? the ditch witch trailer?

Dirty Water
03-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Jon.... you ever use the 255sx?

I'm selling mine and was going to buy a brand new 255 until I talked to the salesman about the 410... The one thing that is still holding me back is that it's wider and would be hard to fit into backyards with gates.

I REALLY want the 410 but it's almost $7k more...

also... what kind of trailer do you use for it? the ditch witch trailer?

I've never used the 255sx, but we have a VP12 which was its precursor. Same Rear steering etc.

The 410 fits through a standard garden gate, it is actually rather narrow, sometimes you have to sit on it and drive it through. Its articulated steering will take it in tighter areas than the 255sx goes, despite its size.

I don't think I could ever go back to a gas powered machine, the extra grunt from the diesel is incredible. I have yet to find a yard that I cannot use the 410 in.

We use a single axle DitchWitch tilt trailer. Its nice as far as trailers go.

Don't let Jon fool you. He's always promising to post some good pics and never delivers. Here's his trencher and it DOES damage established lawns.

My digital camera isn't supposed to get muddy, so I don't bring it out often. Sorry :cry:

As promised, here is a picture of some turf that I just plowed a 1.25" line into:

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41377&stc=1&d=1125187127

Can you see it? :D It goes at a diagonal in the upper corner.

The line of dead grass was already there.

BSME
03-15-2006, 12:34 AM
see if you can find the number off the trailer...

i got a quote on the s2a i think but online that only says the max weight could hold something like the 255...

I'll have to get another quote for the s7b...

not a big deal... I was just wondering what you guys are putting your 410 on

thanks

Dirty Water
03-15-2006, 01:11 AM

i got a quote on the s2a i think but online that only says the max weight could hold something like the 255...

thanks

I believe its either a 14' or a 16'. I'll doublecheck.

We have a 18' dual axle tilt trailer we tow our 3500 on. Its by Freeway trailers.

PurpHaze
03-15-2006, 09:10 AM
My digital camera isn't supposed to get muddy, so I don't bring it out often. Sorry :cry:

If you'd bought the extended warranty like I did you wouldn't fear getting your camera out in the elements. :laugh:

As promised, here is a picture of some turf that I just plowed a 1.25" line into. Can you see it? It goes at a diagonal in the upper corner. The line of dead grass was already there.

This looks like either a closeup of arborvitae or annual bluegrass. :laugh:

Bobcat s250 NY
03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the Reply. I cant wait to use it on a lawn. Hope yall have a great year.

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 07:51 PM

thanks

The Trailer is a 2000 s8b.

Oddly enough, the s6b is the largest of the large single axles, with the s8b being next and the s7b being the smallest, however the s8b is rated for the least amount of weight.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Product/ProductView/144

BSME
03-18-2006, 08:16 PM
cool... thanks

BSME
03-23-2006, 09:42 PM
Jon...

Does that trailer have brakes?

Dirty Water
03-23-2006, 10:22 PM
Jon...

Does that trailer have brakes?

Yes, electric.

BSME
03-25-2006, 06:21 PM
I'm dying Jonny boy...

I want to buy the 410 on Monday... my quote is for the big wheels (but not the dualies)

I gave an estimate today for a house that has a backyard gate 39 inches wide (about average)

the width with the tires I got quoted for makes it like 45inches wide...

with the small tires it'd be a little less than 36inches wide...

as the resident 410 expert can you tell me how big of a deal the big tires make? Am going to die if I get this big machine and then all of the sudden half the jobs I do have a gate 36inches wide....

Dirty Water
03-25-2006, 07:08 PM
I'm dying Jonny boy...

I want to buy the 410 on Monday... my quote is for the big wheels (but not the dualies)

I gave an estimate today for a house that has a backyard gate 39 inches wide (about average)

the width with the tires I got quoted for makes it like 45inches wide...

with the small tires it'd be a little less than 36inches wide...

as the resident 410 expert can you tell me how big of a deal the big tires make? Am going to die if I get this big machine and then all of the sudden half the jobs I do have a gate 36inches wide....

We don't do the dual wheel's, and I'm not even sure if we have the big tire option, I'd estimate the tires are 10" or so deep, but I'd have to measure it on monday to be sure.

It will just barely squeak through 36" gate though...No room for the operator, often I sit on it.

I'm pretty sure we must have the narrow tires, I have had no stability problems even with them, just use common sense.

If you do buy the 410, let me know how you like the Catapillar engine they are using now. How does it start on a cold day etc...Ours is a 2001 and it uses a Pettit-Lister diesel...its a good engine, but it requires a 45 second glow plug warm up first.

Dirty Water
03-25-2006, 07:11 PM
Something to note, DW has a great deal on the XT850 for $24k. I've never used it, but Bryan seems to think it would outpull the 410 with a plow attachment, plus you'd have the backhoe to dig out start and end holes for the pulls.

BSME
03-25-2006, 07:23 PM
Thanks Jon,

If you can get in a 36'' gate then it has to be the smaller tires...

I was nervous because I thought the bigger tires were the norm.

is that pic of the 410 in the "pulling pvc" thread yours? I cant tell about the tires from that pic...

and i did see that deal on that machine.. but I cant imagine that thing getting into a backyard...

thanks again Jon... hopefully real soon I'll have my own to brag about

Dirty Water
03-25-2006, 07:36 PM
That isn't ours in that picture, that was from google, Here is a crummy pic of ours.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=41376&stc=1&d=1125187029

Notice the missing rear wheel weights. We seem to get flats on those two tires often, weights make it a PITA to change.

PurpHaze
03-26-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm glad to see that you've FINALLY posted a pic from your own work. Maybe since spring is approaching we'll see more of the Olympic peninsula in forthcoming pictures? :laugh:

Dirty Water
03-26-2006, 01:04 PM
I'm glad to see that you've FINALLY posted a pic from your own work. Maybe since spring is approaching we'll see more of the Olympic peninsula in forthcoming pictures? :laugh:

That isn't a great example either...That was a 5 acre property that had crummy homeowner landscaping and horrible turf.

But, its getting water now :)