PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Just starting!

foggyjr5
03-14-2006, 10:16 PM
Ok guys(and gals), here is where I am at: I currently have a lawn and landscape company, but am looking into getting into landscape lighting. I was wondering if anyone had any good websites, or books that I could read for information about lighting. Thanks

NightScenes
03-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Hello Froggy, welcome aboard. I always recommend "The landscape Lighting Book" by Janet Moyer. I also suggest the book "Garden Lighting" by John Raine. Those two books are very good and will teach a lot about how to go about designing a quality lighting system.

I suggest joining the Low Voltage Lighting Institute of the Americas. When you are a member, you can get onto the forum there and talk to some of the very best lighting contractors in the country.

Good luck.

klkanders
03-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Hey Foggy
You can find alot of good information right here also. If you havn't already, go grab a cold one, sit back relax and read all the lighting threads here. Lots of good stuff. I am in the same boat as you and I am learning everything I can. Welcome!

Mike & Lucia
03-15-2006, 07:37 AM
Welcome Foggy,
In addition to this site, check out lowvolt.org. It gets very few new posts, but the exchanges there are an incredible source of info.

Mike

SamIV
03-15-2006, 11:28 PM
Try to find yourself a manufacturer sponsored seminar. Most of the big names offer them. Hadco, Cast, Nightscaping to name a few. Just look at their websites. Check with local distributors to see if they offer any. Most of the manufacturers will push their product as all of us would if we were a manufacturer, but as you are just getting started, you still will get something out of every seminar.

Sam IV
Accent Outdoor Lighting

Mark B
03-16-2006, 12:26 AM
Hey Sam are you doing any irrigation now? I know this is off the topic..

SamIV
03-17-2006, 12:49 AM
Not much. Occasionally I will install a simple mister system but that's about it. I find lighting much more intriguing, more profitable, and much less labor intensive. Not doing anywhere near what I would like to be doing though. I'm talking with a marketing guy so hope that will change soon.

Sam IV

Mark B
03-17-2006, 08:37 AM
I hear ya please let me know how that works out for you. I"m still a 1 man show with about 4 different customers breatheing down my neck as of right now. I install condiut for 1 guy then he pulls the fiber after I'm done. The latest ditch was 750 long. I was half way and now they goina pay me to MOVE the ditch 6' go figure that one out. Talk bout throwing you behind???