PDA

View Full Version : Your Ultimate Landscape Maintenance / Install truck

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Ok, New truck for 2006 in the late summer/fall

I needs to be capable of carrying 3 people, alot of weight/volume and towing a 10000 lb trailer for installs.

Im opting for a f550, f450 or international 4700.

Here is a list of ALL tools to go with the crew and to "STAY" on the truck at all times, Not to unload all equipment to load mulch, i want to have a place for everything and not have to remove it. I dont want to take a trailer everywhere with this truck, only when we have the tractor.

3 rakes
2 flat spades
2 back pack blowers
ez ebed edger
10 ft gorrilla a frame folding ladder
2 tarps
stihl 250 chain saw
echo hc 150 hedge clippers
3 wheelbarrows
5 gallon gas
2.5 gallon mix

The bed will have a rugby landscape dump with the dump through design for the rear.Now i thought about having a man cab like this installed but it really doesnt give me much rooms.

MMLawn
03-15-2006, 12:21 AM
DUDE, Brickman has been using trucks just like this for YEARS

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2006, 12:23 AM
A local truck runs like this, a crew cab.... and everything over the cab....

It might work, I would love some pictures of everytones ideas

BSDeality
03-15-2006, 12:29 AM
International crew cab 4700 w/ switch n go system! check out ETWman's setup.

Travel'n Trees
03-15-2006, 03:35 AM
I would do anything but the FORD!! I have a F 550 xlt, crew cab.4x4, powerstroke, auto (new) dump for sale.

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2006, 08:01 PM
I would do anything but the FORD!! I have a F 550 xlt, crew cab.4x4, powerstroke, auto (new) dump for sale.

Yea, buy what, a chevy.... I bet your truck is a 2004 0 06 with the 6. liter powerstroke......

jreiff
03-15-2006, 10:34 PM
I would also say to take a look at etwmans thread. Awesome thread. That truck is the ultimate setup.

For us, we have all of our tools in a cube van. Everything that we need is in that van for any type of install. Works out really well. Never have to worry about switching tools or taking them out. Also run a F450 dually dump box and a international dump truck for hauling material.

The landscaper
03-15-2006, 10:43 PM
That wouldn't be a bad idea to put some storage above the cab to save from having the truck too long.

janb
03-15-2006, 10:51 PM
I would also say to take a look at etwmans thread. Awesome thread. That truck is the ultimate setup....
what page? ... 25 pages :dizzy: and a very slow modem + paying by the minute for time...payup

definately get the most HD truck you can afford (and is practical) There is significant difference between 'industrial quality' and a 'homeowners version'

I do my evaluations by counting plastic parts... they would last, no one is gonna be 'restoring' the current 'disposable' commodity
jb

CrewCutEnterprises
03-15-2006, 11:40 PM
I would also say to take a look at etwmans thread. Awesome thread. That truck is the ultimate setup.

For us, we have all of our tools in a cube van. Everything that we need is in that van for any type of install. Works out really well. Never have to worry about switching tools or taking them out. Also run a F450 dually dump box and a international dump truck for hauling material.

Ive seen his truck very nice, but.... tooo big.. its like driving a 20 ft box truck.

I have several of my own thread about buying a international 4700 with a switch n go, there are several for sale in the 30,000 range.

Problem is, Im unsure i want to make the step to go that large, or to stay 550 range with the option to tow a 10,000 lb trailer or a 7000 lb trailer.

The international would work, i would have to derate it so my guys could tow a trailer without a cdl... or we could never tow a trailer.

Right now we take our f350 with a dump insert and our 16 ft trailer for spring clean ups etc. But its overkill hauling a trailer everywhere when I really bought it for mowing grass.

Im very particular about storage... Help me out, give me some ideas.. The man cab idea is a good, but i would fill it with tools.

mrusk
03-16-2006, 09:52 AM
CCE- You got to step it up to a 25,999 truck. It is the same price as a 550, yet it will work twice as hard, and last 3 times as long.

As soon as it gets time for me to start another crew, i am getting them a 25,999 truck. I will not buy a 550.

jreiff
03-16-2006, 02:22 PM
I don't think that i would go with the extended seating. Could get three guys in the cab. Could get an extended cab????? Then i think i would put a back pack tool box on it with a dump box. Could get all the tools in the toolbox. I would go with the F 550. We have a F 450, works well for us. Can have a good load of raod, class 2, mulch, whatever and still have a trailer and bobcat on and put fine. I think the F550 might just have alittle more pulling power with the big load on.

Here is a picture of ETWMan's truck. Something like this would work out good for ya?????

jreiff
03-16-2006, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=janb]what page? ... 25 pages :dizzy: and a very slow modem + paying by the minute for time...payup

Pages 12, 13, & 18 have the most pictures of his set up. If you get time, the whole thread is really good and has alot of good info...

Shadetree Ltd
03-16-2006, 06:43 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=93630

Here is our multi purpose truck

Scott

CrewCutEnterprises
03-16-2006, 07:57 PM
I don't think that i would go with the extended seating. Could get three guys in the cab. Could get an extended cab????? Then i think i would put a back pack tool box on it with a dump box. Could get all the tools in the toolbox. I would go with the F 550. We have a F 450, works well for us. Can have a good load of raod, class 2, mulch, whatever and still have a trailer and bobcat on and put fine. I think the F550 might just have alittle more pulling power with the big load on.

Here is a picture of ETWMan's truck. Something like this would work out good for ya?????

here is a truck I almost bought. 4700 series. its a 25,999 truck, but you cant tow a trailer. It would hold 25 yards of mulch. and with a leaf system, like 30 yards. The truck was $30,000.00 cheap. I will buy one soon, but not yet, that truck would have underbody boxes to store shovels tools etc, and blowers on the other side. 70 inches long and 24x24.

Now "jreiff"
Why did you buy a 450?? I WOULD buy a 550, but If I towed our 10,000 lb trailer around I would need a CDL. So I can either build the truck to hold everything needed, or I can buy a 450 and then ANY driver can tow the trailer and not need a cdl. Im MD your combo weight cant be over 26,000, and the trailer cant be over 10,000 without needing a cdl and the DOT police are out in force everywhere.

Gravel Rat
03-16-2006, 08:45 PM
I would prolly stay away from medium duty trucks unless you are hauling heavy loads. You have quite a few extra expenses like having the truck inspected every 6 months to a year. You have bigger more expensive tires to buy you will be looking at mimimum 250 dollars each. You insurance will be more money in this area you need a national safety code number to state that you are a commercial vehical.