PDA

View Full Version : opions on Dimension

griffy77
03-14-2006, 11:32 PM
This is my first year using Dimension. Of course the guys at lesco tell me its great. I want to hear from the pros in the trenches. I would like to know what your results are. Do you find that its better to follow exactly the recommended amount per sq ft or have you found that it works better if you add a little more than recommender? What should I expect from Dimension? Will it make the grass grow faster or because its a slow release is it more designed to promote a healthy greener lawn. How well does this stuff work against crabgrass and other weeds? I have sold over 30 apps already so I am really putting my ass out on the line with this product. I am not expecting miracles but i do expect not to see crabgrass and a greener looking lawn first of April.

I have been applying all this week in hopes that in a few weeks that the results will begin to show. Would you guys agree that is an appropriate amount of time to expect results?

I use to use quick release generic ferts that i would get from the feed store but decided to try some professional products.

Hope to hear some feedback from the pros on this product. I have put alot of faith in Dimension, I hope i not building myself up for a big let down.
:confused:

ArizPestWeed
03-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Sorry , I could get through all of it with out laughing .
You should be on stage , you are funny

Fertboy
03-15-2006, 02:24 AM
Hey ,

I have been using Dimension for over 4 years. It works well with a split spring application. One thing to mention to customers is they "NEED TO WATER". Also a good idea is to ask if they seeded late in the fall? Spreading dimension on a new customer that seeded late, is a great way to lose them quick if you damage young grass. My favorite thing about dimension is we used pre-m for years, and I dont come home all yellow:) now.

Good Luck!

Ed

griffy77
03-15-2006, 03:45 AM
thanks for the quick response fertboy. The fact that you have to use a split app kinda worries me. It sounds like its not a one shot deal. I know about the seeding. I tell my customers its best to wait till September to seed and not wait longer than September. I just wanted to hear some testimonies. I plan on in May using weed and feed and spot treat with monentum throughout the season. I just really talked this **** up so i hope it works. If it does what it says it suppose to do everything is cool. I am using only .10% dimension so i dont know how good of results i will get. I know iam the transition area and its not really recommended to use much more than 10% unless you live in the deep south where crabgrass is more prevalent.

MStine315
03-15-2006, 07:54 AM
The half life of dimension isn't as long as others. I switched to Barridace this year. If you can doo all your apps. at the optimum time dimension is good, it just doesn't have the longevity in the soil for the earlier apps. if you have a lot of customers to get through. Fertboy has a good point, too, that the staining issue with dimension is non-existant. Hope that helps, but I agree with AZ, it was kind of chuckle worthy. (Don't get me kicked off too!)

NattyLawn
03-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Instead of getting mad at people who find humor in your post, if you did a search for Dimension on here, 601 posts come up. I'm sure you'll find a lot of the answers you need there.

I used Dimension last season for customers that want chemical crab control. Nice green-up and decent control on a single app. I didn't start until the 2nd week of April though, and I have no idea what the temps are in WV....

griffy77
03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Yea i have read about others having better success with barricade thats found in Stonewall. You say that it stays in the soil a little longer than Dimension? If so that sounds great except does that effect when you are able to seed? Could I still overseed in September if I apply in march with Barricade?

As for you ******* that find my thread comical, I thought this was a place where noobies could come and ask questions and try to get some help without being laughed at. I really dont see the humor in my question I thought it was a fair post. I wanted to hear testimonies from actual people using this product and any info or tips about the product. We all had to start somewhere and I am sure the first time you guys used a preemergent you wondered how well it was goin to work, or maybe you didnt give a damn just wanted to get paid. I really dont see how this thread set me up to get slammed. Its sad that you cant come here and ask a simple question without getting jumped on.

Edited, watch the language, or you won't be around much longer. jodi

NattyLawn
03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
<In Artie Lange voice>

WAHHH!!!....People thought my post about Dimension was funny. WAHHHHH!!!! Now I'm going to get banned from the site for swearing...WAHH!! I should have researched the product before I bought it...WAHHHHHH...

The way you responded to some criticism, I can't say you don't deserve it...

Fertboy
03-15-2006, 10:31 AM
Griff,

I have folks out near Rock Cave, WV they are 8 miles from Sago of route 20. I dont know how many cutomers you have. If all you need to apply is 30 or so apps ,you can possibly get away with the single app, at a slighty higher rate. ( bump up spreader a setting )Just try to apply it at the prime time a litttle later in spring. The good deal with dimension, is it acts as a post emerg on very young crab. I believe 3 tillers or less. So if you are off a litllte on timing it shouldnt be too bad. I think they find it funny you are placing alot of confidence on a procuct you are new to. With all products it seems to be a case of trail & error when your new to them. The best for a single app would be .21. Just scout the lawn for 05 dead crab. if there is alot give little heavier shot.

Ed

turf hokie
03-15-2006, 11:58 AM
<In Artie Lange voice>

WAHHH!!!....People thought my post about Dimension was funny. WAHHHHH!!!! Now I'm going to get banned from the site for swearing...WAHH!! I should have researched the product before I bought it...WAHHHHHH...

The way you responded to some criticism, I can't say you don't deserve it...

AND Griffy, you are asking about a product you bought and are using already.

You put the cart before the horse and it turned into a post that some find humor in. I did.:hammerhead:

MStine315
03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
I hated to open that can of worms, but you went so crazy on AZ I couldn't help myself-sorry. You'll be able to seed in Sept. with nearly any pr-emerge you choose. When I talk about it lasting longer I mean weeks or a month, not months. I think there are some previous posts on half-life of pre-emergents that I know I found useful. Good luck this year.

griffy77
03-15-2006, 03:11 PM
hey thanks for feedback fertboy, It says for this area it is best to apply in March before the beginning of spring. I consulted the salesmen at lesco and he told me for this area there is no need to add more than .10% dimension. I agree i think it would take more than one app and a higher % of dimension, but i am going to follow the recommenced amounts.

I did do my research on the product the whole reason i went with the product was because what i had read here about it. I just had a few questions i wanted to hear from people actually using it for some amount of time. I did ask lesco first but wanted to hear some feedback from pros that have been using it for sometime.

Sorry you guys found this funny which you never really explained as to what was so funny about it. If you didnt have any positive feedback you could have just kept your mouth shut. This is a site this suppose to be a place for support and a place to come to ask questions without ridicule.

OrganicFert
03-15-2006, 05:35 PM
Funny... You want funny... You should have seen the TGCL truck out heading to do apps during snow squalls in Maine today. The soil temps are just like July in their minds...do they have minds?

Jason Rose
03-15-2006, 05:56 PM
OrganicFert, NO they don't have brains, nor do they care about the lawns. They are a marketing company, they collect money, THAT is their business.

As for the Demension I have had good luck with it in the past in a single app rate. I primarely used Barricade for the last 4 seasons or so but Barricade has to be applied EARLY to be effective. On new properties and procrastinators I would switch over to Demension for those later apps.

This season I decided to switch it up totally. I went with a split app Demension for all of my lawns. I know a couple guys that use it here, but also know others that use Barricade in single or split apps. Everyone says one is better than the other... I'm hoping for the best. Like you, my ass is on the line here. Barricade has been working pretty well but I still want better! lol

I hope this post dosn't get pulled because of all the name calling and childish crap.

osc
03-15-2006, 06:46 PM
Honestly,....do you have a license? That would be the first order of business.
You have not mentioned any important criteria such as percentage of active ingredient or rate of application or what the carrier is.
Do you really expect an intelligent answer? And the rest of the responses are typical LAWNSITE BULLSHIT. Meaningless rhetoric.

MStine315
03-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Organic-TGCL was in my sub today putting urea on frozen lawns. (and very lightly at that) You have to start early to get those 8 valuable apps. in!!

lawnguy26
03-15-2006, 07:53 PM
Do you find that its better to follow exactly the recommended amount per sq ft or have you found that it works better if you add a little more than recommender?

You know why don't you just double the recommended rate, that way you get twice the control. You should get some excellent root pruning as well.

What should I expect from Dimension? Will it make the grass grow faster or because its a slow release is it more designed to promote a healthy greener lawn.

I get much better growth and green up with other herbicides.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

kppurn
03-15-2006, 09:11 PM
[QUOTE=griffy77]
Sorry you guys found this funny which you never really explained as to what was so funny about it. QUOTE]

lawnguy26 just provided the answer for you.

ArizPestWeed
03-15-2006, 09:24 PM
You know why don't you just double the recommended rate, that way you get twice the control. You should get some excellent root pruning as well.

I get much better growth and green up with other herbicides.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Thank You !!
:cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:

ArizPestWeed
03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Sorry , I could get through all of it with out laughing .
You should be on stage , you are funny
I meant
"I could NOT get through all of it without "

ArizPestWeed
03-15-2006, 09:32 PM
thanks for the quick response fertboy. The fact that you have to use a split app kinda worries me. It sounds like its not a one shot deal. I know about the seeding. I tell my customers its best to wait till September to seed and not wait longer than September. I just wanted to hear some testimonies. I plan on in May using weed and feed and spot treat with monentum throughout the season. I just really talked this **** up so i hope it works. If it does what it says it suppose to do everything is cool. I am using only .10% dimension so i dont know how good of results i will get. I know iam the transition area and its not really recommended to use much more than 10% unless you live in the deep south where crabgrass is more prevalent.

That was uncalled for , I was simplely having a little fun with you .
I did not attack you or put you down.
You are being too sensitive .
If you are gonna hang with us mature folks , ya gotta act a little mature your self and ahve fun , not sooooo serious

Jason Rose
03-15-2006, 10:03 PM
I have to admit, after I really read the origional post I see now what was so humorous...

cgland
03-15-2006, 10:52 PM
Funny, as soon as you mentioned "license" he was gone like the wind.:dizzy:

Chris

griffy77
03-16-2006, 02:07 AM
yes i am licesced and have a BS in Biology from WVSU. I used to only adjust pH use quick release fertilizers three times in a season with good results. I also used homeowner products to control broadleaf but since lesco just now moved to my area i wanted to start using their products since i have read alot of good things about them here. I am primarily a mowing business but have had many requests for fertilization programs, similiar to what TG and DT have to offer but at more affordable price. I did my studying and took my exam and became licensed in February of this year so i will not catch any **** this year, however I was told unless you are applying some insecticides you dont need to be licensed in my state to apply granular herbicides and fertilizers. I keep excellent records in case of an audit. I do take this business very serious, because if you get out there and do not what your doing you can get in big trouble. I did provide all the required info needed to answer this post fairly. I asked about the amount of Dimension used even though I believe in following recommended labels but if you have been using it for some time and have found perhaps tweaking it little to get better results i would like to know what you are doing to get the best possible results. When I asked about the greenup I was not referring to the preemergant I was refering to the slow release fertilizer that is used in conjuction with pre-emergent. I know when there is an immediate dump of nutrients in the soil it is like steroids and the grass explodes with rapid growth but it is short lived since the nutrients are washed out much sooner than with a slow release fertilizer. I would like to know if you apply in march how soon have you guys begin to see visible results. I didnt think I asked anything off the wall I just have never used lesco fertilizers and wanted to hear some testimonies from other users. I have thought about switching to barricade and do a comparison between the two. The one important thing that i do before I apply any fertilizer is conduct a soil analysis to determine the nutrient levels and most important the pH. These fertilizers will not work unless you have the proper pH. I have seen lawns where ChemLawn fertilizes year after year with mediocer results. I came in and in one app i did more for the lawn than chemlawn did in 4 years and all i did was adjust the pH. Its the first thing that should be done before starting any program or your efforts are going to be in vain.

The bottom line is its going to take me actually getting out there and trying these products and seeing which one works the best before i stand behind one particular brand and start my sells pitch. I guess opinions are like assholes everyone has one.

lawnguy26
03-16-2006, 08:03 AM
I did provide all the required info needed to answer this post fairly.

What percent NPK, Fe, Mn, ammoniacal N, Urea N? Is it an SCU, PCF, PSCF, IBDU, RLC? Is it chelated Fe, Fe sulfate? What rate is it going down at? You have provided us nothing to answer your post fairly.

ArizPestWeed
03-16-2006, 09:56 AM
yes i am licesced and have a BS in Biology from WVSU. I used to only adjust pH use quick release fertilizers three times in a season with good results. I also used homeowner products to control broadleaf but since lesco just now moved to my area i wanted to start using their products since i have read alot of good things about them here. I am primarily a mowing business but have had many requests for fertilization programs, similiar to what TG and DT have to offer but at more affordable price. I did my studying and took my exam and became licensed in February of this year so i will not catch any **** this year, however I was told unless you are applying some insecticides you dont need to be licensed in my state to apply granular herbicides and fertilizers. I keep excellent records in case of an audit. I do take this business very serious, because if you get out there and do not what your doing you can get in big trouble. I did provide all the required info needed to answer this post fairly. I asked about the amount of Dimension used even though I believe in following recommended labels but if you have been using it for some time and have found perhaps tweaking it little to get better results i would like to know what you are doing to get the best possible results. When I asked about the greenup I was not referring to the preemergant I was refering to the slow release fertilizer that is used in conjuction with pre-emergent. I know when there is an immediate dump of nutrients in the soil it is like steroids and the grass explodes with rapid growth but it is short lived since the nutrients are washed out much sooner than with a slow release fertilizer. I would like to know if you apply in march how soon have you guys begin to see visible results. I didnt think I asked anything off the wall I just have never used lesco fertilizers and wanted to hear some testimonies from other users. I have thought about switching to barricade and do a comparison between the two. The one important thing that i do before I apply any fertilizer is conduct a soil analysis to determine the nutrient levels and most important the pH. These fertilizers will not work unless you have the proper pH. I have seen lawns where ChemLawn fertilizes year after year with mediocer results. I came in and in one app i did more for the lawn than chemlawn did in 4 years and all i did was adjust the pH. Its the first thing that should be done before starting any program or your efforts are going to be in vain.

The bottom line is its going to take me actually getting out there and trying these products and seeing which one works the best before i stand behind one particular brand and start my sells pitch. I guess opinions are like assholes everyone has one.
Sorry , if it's over 7 lines , I don't read it

griffy77
03-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Hey lawnguy here is all the info you need. I live in the transitional area and follow exactly what the label says.

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=080381

Really i dont see how that has anything to do with what i was asking. I just wanted a general opinion on pre-emergant+fertilizer Dimension product. I could understand if it were a specific question but if you read the title i just wanted a general opinion on Dimension such as how good of results you guys have with it and how soon do you begin to see visible results. Any little tips that has worked with you to get maximum benefit's from this product, but nothing that needed a breakdown of everything that is in the product.
I went ahead and pasted the link to the exact 50lbs bag that Iam using.

I hope this will help you with your answer.

Tscape
03-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Alright, I'm calling BS on your biology degree, griffy. If you have one, you'll have to scan it and post it, but with spelling and grammar like yours, I'm skeptical. You also asked if it makes the grass grow faster and stated that its slow release. That is what has folks laughing just so you know. Dimension is a chemical pre-emergent, not a fertilizer or nutrient.

lawnguy26
03-16-2006, 05:58 PM
griffy,

First off let me be very clear. I am not a cool season turf guy. I'm in Florida a deal primarily with St. Augustine and Zoysia in sandy soils which have a very low CEC.

With that said I would never use that fert on my lawns. 5.15% SRN is not enough. My fert right now has at least 35% SRN. I see no minors in this fert. At the very least I want fert that hase some Iron, Manganese and Magnesium. I also prefer my ferts to have a 1:1 or 2:1 Nitrogen to Potassium ratio.

As far as the Dimension goes, IMO it's best pre-em on the market right now for crabgrass but I've seen poor results for broadleaf weeds.

Eclipse
03-16-2006, 06:23 PM
What should I expect from Dimension? Will it make the grass grow faster or because its a slow release is it more designed to promote a healthy greener lawn.

This certainly sounds to me like you were expecting Dimension to act as a fertilizer?

Maybe the reason you did not get the response you were after was because you are asking the wrong questions.

Lesco sells more than one product with Dimension. It seems to me that if we knew about the fert included with the Dimension that you would get better answers about how well it is going to green up and how long it may take.

Lesco also sells Dimension in a liquid form too. You did not mention how you were applying it so it could be that you were just applying stright Dimension.

No reason to start the name calling because your failure to properly ask the question you wanted answered lead to a little banter.

griffy77
03-16-2006, 10:32 PM
Hey lawnguy do you have to use alot of potassium to relieve heat stress?
I imagine your fert programs are quit different from cool season turf applications. Thanks for the feed back.

As for doubting my education just because you say i have poor grammar and spelling. Well I use spell check so covered there and for my grammar i didnt go to school to be an english teacher. Besides Iam not going to take any crap from a Michigan fan especially if your a wolverine fan. GO BUCKS!!!!!

ArizPestWeed
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
C'mon everybody knows that in order to get an undergraduate degree you need not know anything about grammer unless you plan to be an english teacher. :)

Seriously, although I think griffy is way off base with his reactions and most of his post on this thread, I will say that is it easy to make a few small gramatical errors while typing away. We all make these mistakes so I don't think it is fair to single them out because the member the comments are directed at is being an ass :)

Just my opinion.
"member of comments" ????

I'm here just to have fun , the guy that started the threat is tooooo serious .
Can't laff at him self ,and so what , I'm a **** **** sometimes .:drinkup:

Eclipse
03-17-2006, 04:57 PM
I was reffering to griffy, that is who Turfscape was directing his comments about poor grammer to.

griffy77
03-17-2006, 10:07 PM
thats messed up

griffy77
03-17-2006, 10:16 PM
WOW!!

I dont know how this thread got so far off base. All I wanted to know was what you think of Dimension. I got jumped just because I asked how well Dimension greens up the lawn when I was referring to the slow release ferts that is used in conjunction with Dimension. I was not aware that Dimension was sold by itself without ferts. Since then I have had to constantly defend myself on this thread.

Eclipse.. You say I am way off base. I have never said one bad thing about anybody here and if you attack me your damn right I am going to defend myself. Its GRAMMAR not grammer. If you were referring to ME as an ASS then you are now on my sh*t list.

As for OSU, my wife graduated from there and so did most of my inlaws. There is a lot of buckeye pride in this house.

PS: Lloyd is slippin

ArizPestWeed
03-17-2006, 10:46 PM
It's only an attack if you say it is .
The rest of saw is as harmless fun .
You maybe too sensitive for lawnsite.com
I don't know , just maybe

lawnguy26
03-18-2006, 12:24 AM
The rest of saw is as harmless fun

:confused: :confused: :confused: ;) ;) ;)

ArizPestWeed
03-18-2006, 12:45 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: ;) ;) ;)
OK OK I don't pay enough attention when I write stuff.
The rest of us saw it as harmless fun !
OK ?
, ok

lawnguy26
03-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Hey lawnguy do you have to use alot of potassium to relieve heat stress?

St. Augustine is not drought tolerant, cold tolerant, traffic tolerant, easily reestablished from seed.....I could go on (limited herbicides available, susceptible to many insects....on and on and on.
It is a very high maintenance turf that unfortunately we have to live with due to our very hot summers. A DEEP, healthy root system is one key to success. I apply high potassium throughout the year.

Eclipse
03-18-2006, 12:52 AM
I got jumped just because I asked how well Dimension greens up the lawn when I was referring to the slow release ferts that is used in conjunction with Dimension.

We still don't know exactly what fert you are talking about. So your original question still can not be answered.

Eclipse.. You say I am way off base. I have never said one bad thing about anybody here and if you attack me your damn right I am going to defend myself.

I really didn't see anybody "attack" you at first and you started the name calling. However I don't know that I would have called it "harmless fun" but certainly a little ribbin' never hurt anybody.

Its GRAMMAR not grammer.

My point exactly from my previous post. So I misspelled grammar. Big deal it has no impact on the message I was trying to get across in my post. I guess it may have even helped :)

If you were referring to ME as an ASS then you are now on my sh*t list.

Yes I was referring to you and yes I figured that I wouldn't win any brownie points with you.

griffy77
03-18-2006, 01:17 AM
posted by lawnguy26:A DEEP, healthy root system is one key to success. I apply high potassium throughout the year.

Why do you choose potassium? I would think that you would want more phosphorus to promote healthy root system. The only thing with phosphorus is that you can get a build up that can cause nute lock. Thats why its important to have a balanced pH. Potassium is really used for vigor and is taken up by plant cells during stress, even though it is used in other parts of the cell cycle.

I am not going to respond anymore to the childish behavior. But typical Michigan fans for ya

AZDICKhead quit posting on my thread. I am kicking you off now. Dont come back. :nono:

lawnguy26
03-18-2006, 01:50 AM
posted by lawnguy26:A DEEP, healthy root system is one key to success. I apply high potassium throughout the year.

Why do you choose potassium? I would think that you would want more phosphorus to promote healthy root system. The only thing with phosphorus is that you can get a build up that can cause nute lock. Thats why its important to have a balanced pH. Potassium is really used for vigor and is taken up by plant cells during stress, even though it is used in other parts of the cell cycle.

Phosphorus is plentiful in our soils. From what I understand most phosphorus is unavailabe to the plant and is used primarily for germination. It is on the verge of being banned in many states due to algea growth. Potassium is primarily used for root development, thus increasing stress tolerance. Ofcourse pH is key to uptake!

ArizPestWeed
03-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Are we done here ?
Jodi , would you please quit deletely my post , this is your last warning , you got that ,I swear