PDA

View Full Version : Question on using a Nissan 4 cyl. to tow with

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2006, 02:55 AM
I have a question for any of you folks who use a 4 cyl. nissan for towing. First, I know this is NOT the vehicle for towing large equipment with, but Im trying to make do here. I found a 00 Frontier KC with a 5 speed in good shape and I can afford to pay cash for it. It is rated at 3500 towing with the 5 speed (the AT was out of the question at a wimpy 2000). My area is all flat roads, no hills at all. My trailor with one ztr weighs about 1800-2000 pounds and with both about 3000. I know that would be pushing it but its the best I can do. Does anyone else on here use one of these and how does it do? Was wondering if it would tow alright without running hot or burning out the clutch. I posted awhile back about an 89 F150 my brother in law had but when I went and checked it out Saturday it was not in great shape. The AC did not work, muffler was broke in half,key broke off in ignition, the gauges did not work and I smelt oil burning when I drove it. The Nissan is 11 years newer, everything works and was only 2 grand more than the F150 and in a heck of a lot better shape. Just did not want to waste my money on it if it wont do the job. Now before anyone suggest I get a Ford or Chevy with the V8 everything around here is ragged out and Im just not real fond of the big 3.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Come on now, I know there has got to be some of you folks with a 4 cyl. nissan. Gotta get me a truck today, my late dads 71 chevy left me stranded twice yesterday (once on a bridge) and once Monday! It aint leaving the yard today!

ZOO YORK
03-15-2006, 11:07 AM
we have a 2001 nissan frontier 2wd 5spd 4cly. it is a great little truck and has been very good to us. it now has 90,000 TROUBLE FREE miles. not sure how many people can say that about one of thier trucks. we do not tow with it but we do haul light loads when we have to and the truck does ok with it. i would not be afriad to pull your trailer and equipment with it.

hope this helps a little

MMLawn
03-15-2006, 11:18 AM
I think you are off on the weights. A 6.5x13 trailer will weight at least 900# and probably closer to a 1000# alone. Then the JD Z is 1200# I know, and I bet the 60" eXmark is at least 1100#. So I think even without any handhelds or blowers you would alreday be at the max towing weight and "really" with a small truck that is not where you want to be. I'd keep looking and get a min a 6 cyl.

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2006, 11:41 AM
I think you are off on the weights. A 6.5x13 trailer will weight at least 900# and probably closer to a 1000# alone. Then the JD Z is 1200# I know, and I bet the 60" eXmark is at least 1100#. So I think even without any handhelds or blowers you would alreday be at the max towing weight and "really" with a small truck that is not where you want to be. I'd keep looking and get a min a 6 cyl.

MMlawn, Ive had no luck finding one. Really wanted a Nissan V6 5sp but have not had any lick finding one close by. Also I usually dont have both my mowers on the trailor at the same time but once in awhile I do.

Jpocket
03-15-2006, 12:44 PM
You need to get whatever is wrong with the old chevy fixed, cause that is "THE PERFECT" grass truck, I know you don't wanna here it but that truck is where it's at when it comes to "CHEAP" trucks, they were built to work. A NISSAN OR TOYOTA IS NOT BUILT FOR WORK. They are for PICKING UP GROCERIES. You live in the south. there has got to be a ton of old Chevys and fords around for $1500 and under in good working order.

Ollie3
03-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I bought a 1979 chevrolet c10 from the original owner the truck is a long bed and she only has 35k original miles on it. I had to put $400 to fix the brakes and I had to put a water-pump in it along with the hoses, because I had to change the originals. I use this truck for school. I live in NC, but right now I'm in SC at Clemson studying Turf-Grass Management. This truck cost me 2k and it's in excellent shape. I know you can find one. It's powered by a 305 with a 2-barrel carb with a turbo 350 tranny. Keep hunting. This is the perfect grass truck.

Ollie.

MTR
03-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I have a question for any of you folks who use a 4 cyl. nissan for towing. First, I know this is NOT the vehicle for towing large equipment with, but Im trying to make do here. I found a 00 Frontier KC with a 5 speed in good shape and I can afford to pay cash for it. It is rated at 3500 towing with the 5 speed (the AT was out of the question at a wimpy 2000). My area is all flat roads, no hills at all. My trailor with one ztr weighs about 1800-2000 pounds and with both about 3000. I know that would be pushing it but its the best I can do. Does anyone else on here use one of these and how does it do? Was wondering if it would tow alright without running hot or burning out the clutch. I posted awhile back about an 89 F150 my brother in law had but when I went and checked it out Saturday it was not in great shape. The AC did not work, muffler was broke in half,key broke off in ignition, the gauges did not work and I smelt oil burning when I drove it. The Nissan is 11 years newer, everything works and was only 2 grand more than the F150 and in a heck of a lot better shape. Just did not want to waste my money on it if it wont do the job. Now before anyone suggest I get a Ford or Chevy with the V8 everything around here is ragged out and Im just not real fond of the big 3.

With one 52" Ztr, on a 5x8 trailer with 2 cycle stuff, and tools, any 4 cyl will do fine. A Z weighs 1000#, an open 5x8 trailer weighs about 500#...together with everything is under 2000#. A four banger can do decently....
The trailer is what matters, nothing bigger than that 5x8 if you want 4 banger. It is very commone to see Ranger or Tacoma reg cab pulling the above said setup around in my town...everybody goes small and easy on gas but very profitable!!! including me this season. Those guys with 2 Z and big WB on a tandem 14' trailer and V 10 are crying babies, V8 or bigger is killing me on gas, and when hurricane season comes it is insane to be so scared of oil price and supply. With 4 banger, we expecting 23 mpg stop and go!! already achieve it.
hope this help.

Jpocket
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
With one 52" Ztr, on a 5x8 trailer with 2 cycle stuff, and tools, any 4 cyl will do fine. A Z weighs 1000#, an open 5x8 trailer weighs about 500#...together with everything is under 2000#. A four banger can do decently....
The trailer is what matters, nothing bigger than that 5x8 if you want 4 banger. It is very commone to see Ranger or Tacoma reg cab pulling the above said setup around in my town...everybody goes small and easy on gas but very profitable!!! including me this season. Those guys with 2 Z and big WB on a tandem 14' trailer and V 10 are crying babies, V8 or bigger is killing me on gas, and when hurricane season comes it is insane to be so scared of oil price and supply. With 4 banger, we expecting 23 mpg stop and go!! already achieve it.
hope this help.

The guys with 2 big Z's, tandum trailers, v8/v10's ACTUALLY HAVE THE WORK TO JUSTIFY THEM. When you do something for a living you need REAL trucks and equipment.

lowballer17
03-15-2006, 05:17 PM
We use a 2003 Jeep Wrangler with the 2.4 liter, 5 speed stick, 4.10 gears. Not going to win any races but gets good MPG.

MTR
03-15-2006, 07:03 PM
The guys with 2 big Z's, tandum trailers, v8/v10's ACTUALLY HAVE THE WORK TO JUSTIFY THEM. When you do something for a living you need REAL trucks and equipment.

Please don't mistake those guys with big rigs as poorly equipped for REAL work. If you can afford that big and make good profit, no question...go for it.
The poster asked question suggesting he is downgrading in size, and obviously, it is the same reason, money and profit. How much it costs to run a 4 banger compared to V8...very simple. Also the convenient of storage in your garage is another factor. With traffic hell like this in big city, it is real "fun" to pull tnadem 14' with V9-10 to cut dog bite dog $25-$35 lawns and compete with thousands of lowballers....:weightlifter: Different area, different strategies. You have to adjust and compute for your own good.
Thanks

QualityLawnCare4u
03-15-2006, 09:19 PM
Please don't mistake those guys with big rigs as poorly equipped for REAL work. If you can afford that big and make good profit, no question...go for it.
The poster asked question suggesting he is downgrading in size, and obviously, it is the same reason, money and profit. How much it costs to run a 4 banger compared to V8...very simple. Also the convenient of storage in your garage is another factor. With traffic hell like this in big city, it is real "fun" to pull tnadem 14' with V9-10 to cut dog bite dog $25-$35 lawns and compete with thousands of lowballers....:weightlifter: Different area, different strategies. You have to adjust and compute for your own good.
Thanks

Thanks MTR, and you are correct, I am trying to downsize. I see quite a few small 4 cyl. nissans, rangers and toyotas pulling large dual axle trailors but I have never talked to any of them to see how well they do. My dads old 71 chevy is totally shot! The gas tank is rusted real bad and it stops up the fuel filter ever 8-10 miles and that last time on a bridge I cussed it real bad. The 71 has no heat, ac, radio. power breaks and has large holes in the floor board that the gas fumes come threw and makes me nausiated. My dad left me this truck in his will because he knew how bad I disliked driving it, leaves me stranded every time:laugh: He thought it was funny:laugh: