PDA

View Full Version : Tunnel under

BensLand
04-27-2001, 12:18 AM
Whats the best way to tunnel under a concrete walkwayn to run irrigation through? The soil is a hard clay type. I have used water before but it sure makes a mess.

EarthWorks
04-27-2001, 07:41 AM
For Concrete walks, water is hard to beat in my opinion. Anything larger than 4-5' we use an air mole. It looks like a missile and powered by air like a jack hammer. You may be able to rent one at the rental yard. Bought one last winter for about 2500.

greens1
04-27-2001, 09:54 AM
The air mole sounds like the same piece of equiptment I call a pirce arrow. Thats a lot of work and expense just to go under a walkway, or even a driveway.

I would get a pipepuller with boring rods, boring rods usually work to 30', if water doesn't work.

You may want to call your local irrigation guy and ask how much he wants to bore under a walkway. He may charge you less than it would cost to rent the equiptment and do it yourself.

Good Luck,
Jim L

Stonehenge
04-27-2001, 05:47 PM
Here's a cheap way to go that we've used - just get a piece of PVC larger than the diam of the pipe you'll be using, put a block of wood at one end, and persuade it through with a sledgehammer. You have to have dead aim or you'll crack the PVC. We did this last fall and it worked great. Necessity was the mother of invention on that one. Heavy, heavy clay there, too.