PDA

View Full Version : New Seed Lawn Install Questions

JohnsonLawn
03-15-2006, 08:14 PM
I have a client that would like me to put in a new seed lawn. The lawn that is there now is very uneven and has very sandy soil. I had thought of putting a heavy layer of loam down over the lawn and reseed from there. But, now I realize that this might not be the best choice. I am concerned with changing the height of the lawn around patios and walkways. I am thinking of scraping the sod off with the bobcat, then adding my loam to amend and reseed from there. What do you think? Also, he would like to have irrigation put in. Should this be done after the lawn is established or can it be laid down before I seed. I have done a number of new lawn installs before but not a renovation like this. Thanks for any info.

sheshovel
03-15-2006, 08:55 PM
You want your irrigation in before the lawn and if you have never done that kind of work before I suggest you or the customer hire an irrigation instaler to do that part of the job.You have the steps pretty well down as far as the seeding goes jusy make sure you mix your loam into the top several inches of sandy native soil and dont take alot of soil off with the sod you remove.You should do the finAL grade with a landscapers grade rake and grade it so it drains away from the home ,remove any debri ect before seeding and roll it for a firm base for the seed to take root in,then seed and water and I personaly use a topper over the seed but that is up to you

JohnsonLawn
03-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Sheshovel, are you saying I should put down the loam and do a rough grade, then have the irrigation installed (which I am subbing out) and do my final grade and seed after the install is complete. Also, I was planning on taking about 4" to 6" of the exsisting lawn out with the machine. Would you take more? Thanks for the help. Mike

sheshovel
03-15-2006, 09:15 PM
Yes that is what I am saying andf NO that's fine amount to take out..just get as much as you can out then add to fill low spots and add your amendment and do as I said above.rip out the old then get youe irrigation guy out there and you can tell him what the final grade will be.He has to complete his work before you can do yours

JohnsonLawn
03-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Coffeecraver
03-16-2006, 04:49 AM
A Power Rake would be a usefull item

The right time of year would be helpfull

Grading should be complete before the irrigation goes in

Subcontracting this job would be a good idea,since you have the job but not the knowledge to get it done correctly.If you subed this one you would know how to do the next one.

JohnsonLawn
03-16-2006, 10:22 AM
I am comfortable with install, just was not sure about timing on the irrigation part. Thanks for your input.

JohnsonLawn
03-21-2006, 08:21 PM
Would a sod cutter be a good choice for removing the old turf and then use a small bobcat or dingo to move loam around. Area is 7500 sq ft. I want this to be efficient as possible.

DLS1
03-21-2006, 08:41 PM
Would a sod cutter be a good choice for removing the old turf and then use a small bobcat or dingo to move loam around. Area is 7500 sq ft. I want this to be efficient as possible.

For some one who has done a number of lawn installs your asking a lot of basic questions.:laugh: :laugh:

JohnsonLawn
03-21-2006, 09:12 PM
I believe I said that I done a number of NEW lawn installs. These have all been small 2500-5000 sq ft. lawns. I have done 7 different install projects (which I know is not alot), but they have all come out well and the clients were very happy. I started this post because I have never been asked to do a renovation like this before. This will also be the first lawn I install with irrigation (which I am subbing out). I was always taught "the stupid questions are the ones you don't ask", so I'm asking. Just figured I would get some opinions from you folks. Funny,if I didn't ask and I started a thread on "My nightmare lawn renovation", all I would have heard was " you should have asked". All joking aside, I really do appreciate the help. Thanks

get rich
03-21-2006, 09:13 PM
Sod cutter would be perfect, and i would use a dingo or even a walk behind bobcat unit so that you can use a bucket to move around the loam, and even use the bucket for quick removal of the sod once you've used the sod cutter. Then you could switch to a roto-tiller to mix the loam and existing soil. They even make a harley rake attachment for that bobcat unit that would do a beautiful job of grading. But yes i would have the finish grade done before the irrigation guy shows up. That will only leave you a little touch up with a hand rake when they are done trenching the pipe and installing the heads and stuff. Sounds like you got a handle on this already though, but just get the job ready for seed before the irrigation guys get there. And yes with an irrigation system it would be wise to put down a seed aide(sold by lesco) or another product is penn mulch so the system doesn't wash any of the seed around. The irrigation system should be set to run for only couple minutes per zone, just wanna wet the seed not drown it. Wetting it a couple times a day would be perfect, depending o the temps. Talk that over with the irrigation contractor about the times, or he might just float your seed job away. Sorry to be so long winded, lotta coffe today! Good luck

JohnsonLawn
03-21-2006, 09:19 PM
Thanks Get Rich, now that was the type of reply I was looking for. I appreciate your input.

get rich
03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
The company i used to work for before starting my own used to run a " rock hound " on the front of a bobcat after finish grade and man you never saw a more beautiful sight than an 2 acre lawn preped with a piece of equipment. Seeded it with a 8 foot brillion seeder and fert it. Four weeks later it was off and running. Agood fertilizer program as follow up is very important to the sucess of any seed job though, and proper watering. Good luck

JohnsonLawn
03-22-2006, 07:00 PM
Get Rich, seeing as you have been so helpful, what would you have bid for this job( if you don't mind me asking). I bid $6500.00. Too low or high. What do you think. Thanks again

Xterminator
03-22-2006, 07:08 PM
I dont Know what the Irrigation Runs ,but I would charge about 3500 too seed it

JohnsonLawn
03-22-2006, 07:45 PM
I charged $6500.00 to remove old lawn (sod cutter), bring in and spread loam (100 yds.), grade and seed/fert. I am having a friends company do the irrigation work.

Xterminator
03-22-2006, 07:49 PM
100 Yards good Price

JohnsonLawn
03-22-2006, 07:53 PM
the lawn is almost 8000 sq ft.with some low spots so I should use 100 yards easy. You say good price. You think it is to low?

get rich
03-22-2006, 10:29 PM
Since i have no idea what your material cost is on the loam and seed it's hard to say what i would have charged. But in my neck of the woods the losm would run 15 dollars a cubic yard delivered to the job site. Seed would run me about 150-175 dollars for 75 lbs depending on which blend i would use. And since i just started out my business i don't own any of the equipment needed to do the job, but i have no problem renting either dingo or bobcat and sodcutter. I would say rental of the equipment could be done for about 500 dollars on the high side i would say. So i would assume your making about atleast 3000 for your time and labor....for three days tops sounds like a good profit margin to me. Do you own any of the equipment needed on this job? Hell even if you had to rent it, i would say you bid it great. Wish i had something like that lined up for spring. Best i am doing is spreading 15 yds of mulch, cutting bed edges and pruning for 1000 dollars on a couple jobs. I have the knowledge and expirence to do lawn and landscape installs just as good if not better than the big shots in my town.....just not the equipment...yet! This being my second year in business i plan on starting to gather the right equipment like tractors, seeders and such. But right now i am more geared towards lawn and landscape maintenance, gotta start some where right! Good luck and track every dime and hour spent and fill us in on how things turn out...wish ya the best of luck! Remember WET IT, DON'T DROWN IT...TIL IT'S UP AND GROWING.KEEP THE FERTILIZER COMING ALL YEAR! YOUNG GRASS IS VERY HUNGRY.