PDA

View Full Version : Clean-ups from hell

Ferrante's Lawn Service
03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
Started clean ups this week and everything started great.We did 15 clean-ups on Monday and then Mr wind started. We usually blow all the leaves to the curb and then suck them up with the vac.Now that it is windy its even hard to get them in a pile on a tarp.Just wanted to know how u guys are making out cause in New Jersey the wind sucks.

jt5019
03-15-2006, 10:34 PM
Havnt started yet still too muddy here :hammerhead:

LB1234
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
Started clean ups this week and everything started great.We did 15 clean-ups on Monday and then Mr wind started. We usually blow all the leaves to the curb and then suck them up with the vac.Now that it is windy its even hard to get them in a pile on a tarp.Just wanted to know how u guys are making out cause in New Jersey the wind sucks.

Not to be a jackass but....

why are you doing the leaf cleanups in this 50 mph wind gusts??? It takes twice as long to do the cleanup and we are just going to get crappy weather friday morning. I'm sticking to my landscape jobs (wall installs, drainage work) and leaving the cleanups to a less windy day.

Nevermind the wind...what happened to the 60-70 degree days;)

chriscraft
03-15-2006, 11:35 PM
they cant be that bad if yo udo a cleanup every 30 minutes including drive time

Ferrante's Lawn Service
03-16-2006, 09:54 PM

why are you doing the leaf cleanups in this 50 mph wind gusts??? It takes twice as long to do the cleanup and we are just going to get crappy weather friday morning. I'm sticking to my landscape jobs (wall installs, drainage work) and leaving the cleanups to a less windy day.

Well when u have over a hundred customers and a lot of them need landscaping too you try to bang them out so u don't get behind.Getting behind in the begining of the season is not a good start.You wind up breaking those promises that u made and in my mind thats not professional at all and they will look else where.You know how it is there is a lot of competition out there.

LB1234
03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Well when u have over a hundred customers and a lot of them need landscaping too you try to bang them out so u don't get behind.Getting behind in the begining of the season is not a good start.You wind up breaking those promises that u made and in my mind thats not professional at all and they will look else where.You know how it is there is a lot of competition out there.

I guess, but I still think you are doing double the work. What size lots are you dealing with?

My property sizes average between 3/4-1acre. Blowing leaves on an open acre with 50 mph wind gusts is just about useless...unless of course you happen to be going with the wind:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Turfdude
03-19-2006, 04:37 PM
We started on the 6th of March. In order to start on that very loooooooooong list of mulch installs, you gotta get the clean-ups done first. We wound up mulching on those windy days... mulched places previously cleaned up. We also have done a few sod jobs & mulch installs. I agree w/ Feffante in that it sucks to start the season off behind schedule like we had to last year because of the snow.

topsites
03-20-2006, 01:14 AM

I heard that.

The ones I dislike are those who call expecting a cleanup on leaves that haven't been touched at all. They call and almost every one of them talks about they need grass cutting and they throw other stuff in there, some even forget to mention the leaves!!! So I go out there take one look and see 6 inches of leaves still on the ground.

Usually I don't even stop to estimate that stuff anymore, if I can't figure it out on the phone, I've learned once they hear my price, it's all over anyway since all they wanted was leaves done cheap. Yeah, and the bit with the grass-cutting is them trying to sweeten the deal, because as soon as the leaves are done, your services are no longer needed.

I had a friend who used to quote double, and expect half upfront, half on completion. I thought about doing it that way but now I don't touch that stuff no more, my big blower's been put up for annual maintenance until next fall. Only thing I do now that has to do with leaves is regulars who have some leftover from winter.

Other than that I am done with leaves, and I mean done!