PDA

View Full Version : Does the wind stop YOU from doing apps?

Jason Rose
03-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I will not apply anything, granular if it's blowing over 10 to 12 mph, and liquid is it's blowing much over 8 to 10. I don't like seeing the wind blow the granular stuff and mess up my pattern and the liquid herbicides I just don't seem to like having them all over me or the bushes and trees...

Reason I bring it up, it's BLOWING here, much like it is many places right now. I just saw a guy out SPRAYING a lawn! I checked and the recorded current wind speeds are 20 mph from the NNE with 30 mph gusts. I was mowing a lawn just 2 doors down and at times i almost lost my hat and then I see this guy down there just spraying away with a hose. NUTS, not to mention I don't know ANY chemicals that are labeled to be sprayed in that kind of wind.

What does everyone else do in the wind? Sit on your thumb all day waiting for it to calm down or just push on?

GREENITUP
03-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Yep...... sitting on your thumb is about all you can do when your apps are liquid and the wind is blowing the way it has been here since Friday. Granular will even loose pattern around 15mph + . That guy you are talking about doing all of the spraying is doing a disservice to his customers and the industry. Was it a "Big-Green" guy? If so, at least he isn't ghosting them like a lot of their other employees do!:)

New Green
03-16-2006, 06:06 PM
I am not aware of the conditions at the location. Sometimes there is Micro-climates. I have sprayed before with Flags just a blowin... Upper level winds. Down where I was sprayin 0 mph. My employees (paid by the hour) always look up and somehow it is always too windy???

Jason Rose
03-16-2006, 08:16 PM
I am not aware of the conditions at the location. Sometimes there is Micro-climates. I have sprayed before with Flags just a blowin... Upper level winds. Down where I was sprayin 0 mph. My employees (paid by the hour) always look up and somehow it is always too windy???

Pretty positive the wind was blowing where he was too... These are all LARGE open lawns. In the open lawn the product pretty much has to hit the grass eventually but the application couldn't be very even! It's when getting close to shrubs there is problems. But as far as I know he was most likely only spraying pre-emergent.

P & L Turf
03-16-2006, 08:33 PM
We just got done with 20-30 mile an hour winds with the occasional 40-42 mph gusts. Theres no way I'd be out there in that, but if it were around 10 miles or so I still do it unless the gusts are high, then I'll just wait a day or so.

ArizPestWeed
03-16-2006, 08:49 PM
I spray in between gust

ant
03-16-2006, 09:00 PM
wind shuts me down.

New Green
03-16-2006, 09:04 PM
If it is fert only, it does not matter as long as the product goes down even and on target. If someone wants to look foolish peeing in the wind, that is up to them. As for Pre-em only, it is illegal here to spray over 15 mph,and you must be able to prove to an inspector otherwise. I would not take that chance if the winds are even close. But if it is "Big Green" it is only about the numbers.

robertsturf
03-16-2006, 09:58 PM
In the Midwest it's always windy in the Spring. I try to route myself to do the most open lawns earlier in the morning. Today I was able to spread 600 # of Barricade with Mesa before I got winded out. Wind was 15+ while doing so. Also if you can I try going with the wind with my Perma Green and adjust my pattern to allow for the windy conditions. I make my pattern narrower while doing this. Or try doing crosswind applications. I have about 25 yrs experience doing this, but I would never spray herbicide in this wind. Afternoon wind gusts of 30 mph.

PGA
03-16-2006, 10:06 PM
I could barely clean up leaves today! I sure as heck wouldnt spray anything in this wind.

southernsprayguy
03-16-2006, 11:32 PM
You could try a product called Windcheck if you just have to spray while the wind is blowing. A lot of LCO's in S. Alabama and the Panhandle of Florida use it to control drift. We get a lot of wind from the gulf down here.
I've used Windcheck. Great product.

coyoteman
03-18-2006, 12:07 AM
by law we cannot apply any pesticides if the wind is over 10km/hr. Not miles but kilometers. doesn't take much to shut a guy down.

slscoldbrok
03-19-2006, 08:39 AM
my apps are granular with the weed control being liquid we push on but do not spray because time is money in the lawn care bussiness

walker-talker
03-19-2006, 02:27 PM
I would never advise spreading or spraying in windy conditions. You just have to use your best judgement. I use to use the internet as a guide for wind speeds, but after buying a windmeter, I don't anymore. When I go out I wear one of these around my neck. It's a great tool and much more accurate than using the internet.