PDA

View Full Version : Which would you choose

Electra_Glide
03-16-2006, 03:43 PM
I'm getting ready to buy a 5-ton dump for my light excavating business, and I've found two trucks that are within my budget.

#1 1979 International S1700, 404 gas, 5+2 manual, low miles, good condition, 10' dump

#2 1986 Ford F-700, Detroit diesel, 5+2 manual, unknown miles, fair condition, 12' low-sided dump

The asking price for both trucks is with $5 of each other. Going to test-drive both of them this weekend.

Which one would you prefer and why.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

LB1234
03-16-2006, 05:04 PM
International just cause it isn't a ford...

hey, he asked.

Ollie3
03-16-2006, 05:17 PM
I'd choose the International, they are beefy.

Ollie.

J&R Landscaping
03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
I would choose the International hands down but why are you looking at trucks that are so old?

olderthandirt
03-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Two wheels are more fun

Electra_Glide
03-16-2006, 05:56 PM
I would choose the International hands down but why are you looking at trucks that are so old?
For what I have to spend, these are the types of trucks I can afford. The rest of the cash on-hand, and budget for payments is going to go to a skidsteer and/or excavator. Just need the truck to pull that stuff around, and occasionally haul a little bit of material. Probably won't put more than a few thousand miles/year on the truck.

Joe

Lawn Masters
03-16-2006, 09:18 PM
For milage, I'd go with the Ford, since a diesel will have more pullin power, and when hauling a heavy machine, you'll want all of that power you can get.

mrusk
03-16-2006, 09:56 PM
How much are the trucks?

If your not planning on hauling materials with the truck, your going to waste alot of money on trucking.

Metro Lawn
03-16-2006, 10:03 PM
I would take the Int. over the Ford, but stay away from a gas motor. I would shop a bit more.

tnmtn
03-16-2006, 10:16 PM
i would go with the ford. you won't hear me say that too often. i have read many times when people start the brand wars here it would be nice to have a ford body with a gm engine. with that truck everyone should be happy.
good luck

Jpocket
03-16-2006, 10:34 PM
I wouldn't want either, the only real perk of the Ford is that it's got a Detroit, The Int. is a great truck but its gas. If you are only gonna put a few thousand a year i'd say go with the Int.

Personally I want an International with a DT466 or 3208 CAT, or a GM C-60 with a Detroit or Cat

jd270
03-16-2006, 11:16 PM
id go with the int i have a loadstar 1800 with a gas 392 it pulls verry well considering it is a dump with a double frame and it is a twin screw with a gvwr of 53,000

Gravel Rat
03-16-2006, 11:24 PM
If you are going to buy a 5 ton dump truck buy a diesel dump truck oh ya don't buy the Ford its got the 8.2 Detroit fuel pincher is one of the worst diesels built. Its POS you will end up repairing it more than it will be on the road.

I would also stay away from trucks with 5+2 gearing a 6spd is more friendly to most people. If the truck is on air brakes a 9spd is a good choice.

I would also stay away from gas pots unless you want to go broke and not make anymoney with the truck it will burn gallons of fuel. Every hill you climb with a load the truck will be turning the fuel tanks inside out.

If you want a International get a truck with the 466 Engine.

Personally I would say go get your CDL and buy a light tandem axle like a L-8000 Ford with 240hp Ford power I see them pretty cheap way better than a single axle.

G.M.Landscaping
03-16-2006, 11:36 PM
[QUOTE=Gravel Rat] don't buy the Ford its got the 8.2 Detroit fuel pincher is one of the worst diesels built. Its POS you will end up repairing it more than it will be on the road.QUOTE]

Agreed. Had one in a GMC 5ton. Bad engine and pain to work on. My diesel mechanic said I should of never bought that truck because of the engine.

Electra_Glide
03-17-2006, 12:14 AM
How much are the trucks?
If your not planning on hauling materials with the truck, your going to waste alot of money on trucking.
Both trucks are $6000.

I want something that will haul some material, particularly when excavated material has to be removed from a site. I priarily do small-scale stuff: trenching for footers, excavation for house additions, french drains, garage pads, etc.

I want something with more payload than a 1-ton. An F450 would be ideal; small enough to get into tight spaces, but at least with a few tons of payload. Unfortunately around here, those trucks seem to hold their value, and it's tough to find one at a good price. I don't think I've ever seen one of any age in the price range I'm in.

I got through last season with out a truck of my own, but it was a real PITA. I borrowed a truck from a friend a few times when I was in a real pinch, but I don't want to do that any more.

I'm still kicking myself over a restored '79 Ford L-7000 with a 3208 Cat that I passed over last year...:hammerhead:

Take care...

Joe

Smalltimer1
03-17-2006, 12:24 AM
Between those 2 I'd go with the Ford because the 404 IH engine is pretty hard to locate parts for. You pretty much have to know the build date of it to get the correct specs for the parts. If the Ford had a Cat, you should be all over it like white on rice. The C-70 I use with the 3208 does decent but does lack guts on the hills b/c it is a non-turbo. The 5x2 does fine but sometimes the hi/lo shifter sticks between ranges effectively letting the truck freewheel until it is able to reengage.