PDA

View Full Version : what type of truck to buy

swing blade
04-27-2001, 10:35 PM
Hi.

I work as a general landscaper in cincinnati. I wrecked my s-10 into a telephone pole. I was looking at a dodge dakota. Is this a good choice? it will be mostly used for hauling plants, tools, mulch, and topsoil. I also have a small trailer that holds about 4500#

Barkleymut
04-30-2001, 05:48 AM
Dakota's are ok because you can get up to a 360ci V8 in them. But why not go for at least a Ram 1500? Check out the prices on Edmunds.com which is a great website for the car buyer. As for me, my next truck will be a 3500 series. Probably a Chevy which seem to be the cheapest. They can be had for under $24K. Or if the whole Duramax/Allison thing works out and are all still running well in a couple of years I may get that combo. The benefits of the much bigger truck are numerous. Suspension that is made for towing, Brakes that can stop any load fast (something a Dakota cannot do), Tranny that can handle towing. I guess it all depends where you are in your business and whether you plan to ever haul anything of size. I just looked at your post and you said hauling topsoil and mulch? No way I'd go with anything under a 2500 and I'd try for a 3500. Not much price difference. Plus get a 4WD and you can plow snow. You can probably make all the payments just from the plowing profit. Good Luck

[Edited by Barkleymut on 04-30-2001 at 04:50 AM]

racerdave
05-06-2001, 04:34 PM
Barkleymut is right on about the Dakota.
I just traded up to the 2500 Ram Diesel. The Dakota has plenty of power but it doesn't have the weight or brakes that your going to need in the future. Diesels are expensive to buy, but cheaper to operate. Especially with the gas prices going thru the roof.

LakeCountry
05-23-2001, 05:32 PM
Would the RAM 1500 4x4 be solid and strong enough for my use? I will be hauling a 12' landscaping trailer in the summer with approx 1000# of equipment and then planning on putting a poly plow up front and plowing in the winter...

I know the 2500 has the nice diesel, but in a used truck, it seems like they are good $5k more than the 1500 with a big gas V8... Trying to control costs for a start-up...

Barkleymut
05-24-2001, 09:03 PM
I am considering plowing next season as well. I may be able to get away with using a 1500 since we get under a foot total most seasons. But if you even think about plowing in MN with a 1500 you are crazy. By the way, check out used Chevy 3500's. They seem to be numerous and not very expensive. You can get a bulletproof 350 in one and it should run a long time. Saw one the other day with 275K miles on it.