PDA

View Full Version : New Turf Sprayer

P & L Turf
03-16-2006, 09:37 PM
Heres the new sprayer I just bought. Kinda anxious to use it.

robertsturf
03-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Looks great! Are you going to spray the white stuff with it? :laugh:

Runner
03-16-2006, 10:36 PM
What is that, about 50 gallons?

grandview (2006)
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
If your going to run the hose from the back, get yourself a roller kit for the hose reel if not the hose will keep flipping to the back of the reel.

P & L Turf
03-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Yeah it's a 50 gallon with a 5.5 horse briggs. I'll probably mount it to a trailer I've got, that way I don't have to keep putting in and out of the truck. That roller idea sounds like a good idea. Where could I pick up something like that?

lawnservice
03-17-2006, 03:46 PM
. That roller idea sounds like a good idea. Where could I pick up something like that?
www.westheffer.com

or gregsonclark, check the sposor link at top of this page.

ThreeWide
03-17-2006, 07:05 PM
If you can mount it sideways, it would be much easier to use.

Not to rain on your parade....but you will think that 50 gallon unit is too small sooner than you think.

I have 100 gallons and it is barely enough sometimes. My next one will be 300 gallons.

P & L Turf
03-19-2006, 03:02 AM
My spraying jobs aren't that large. Even if that happens I have acess to more water on the job sites.:cool2:

grandview (2006)
03-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Remember if you fill on the job site don't forget your backflow device.

mak2
03-19-2006, 07:07 PM
I finish my pesticide liscense requirements for Indiana this week. How much does it cost for a set up like that? My wife says I cant spend any more money on my buisness till I pay off my $15k of stuff. Fourtunatly I have about 2000 flyers left and the entire summer.

Runner
03-20-2006, 02:23 AM
The problem with having access to more water at the jobsites, is that it is illegal. Running a 50 gallon tank, if you are spraying at 2 gal. per thousand, that will give you about 25 M sq. ft (less with overlap) This will give you just under enough to do two 1/2 acre sized yards. Even if you run a real hot mix, and spray 1 gal per M, this will give you about enough to do 2 yards. Why would you go with such a small tank for spraying turf?

P & L Turf
03-20-2006, 09:32 AM
I finish my pesticide liscense requirements for Indiana this week. How much does it cost for a set up like that? My wife says I cant spend any more money on my buisness till I pay off my $15k of stuff. Fourtunatly I have about 2000 flyers left and the entire summer.

It cost me a little more that $1700. Thats was with shipping and everything.

P & L Turf
03-20-2006, 09:34 AM
The problem with having access to more water at the jobsites, is that it is illegal. Running a 50 gallon tank, if you are spraying at 2 gal. per thousand, that will give you about 25 M sq. ft (less with overlap) This will give you just under enough to do two 1/2 acre sized yards. Even if you run a real hot mix, and spray 1 gal per M, this will give you about enough to do 2 yards. Why would you go with such a small tank for spraying turf?

I went with the small tank, because I have small accounts for it. My largest ones aren't real interested in the liquid for whatever reason. It's mainly for the few small residental jobs.

ThreeWide
03-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I went with the small tank, because I have small accounts for it. My largest ones aren't real interested in the liquid for whatever reason. It's mainly for the few small residental jobs.

Whether a customer wants liquid or not isn't an issue. I find that ALL of my properties require at least one blanket broadleaf spray at some point during the year. Normally in the Spring, because preemergent doesn't control everything.

And almost everytime I get a new customer, the lawn is a real mess and requires multiple herbicides at once.

Ollie3
03-20-2006, 10:37 AM
Nice rig, I hope it makes your business more efficient.

Ollie

Jason Rose
03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
When I bought my Lesco I got a 100 gallon. The guy TRIED and TRIED to convince me to spend the extra 150 or 200 bucks and get the 200 gallon. He said it's lot easier to put 100 gallons in the 200 gallon tank than it is to get 200 in the 100. I still was stubborn. "I didn't need that big of a tank" Well... barely 2 years after buying it and now it's a PITA. MOst all of my lawns are big, and about 1.5 gal/K is about as fast as I can walk and get good coverage with the gun. I have several places where I empty the tank in the one stop! That means I have to drive allllllll the way back home to refill and then BACK to that neghiborhood to do the others.

What I want to find, or at least see someone invent, is a good commercial quality hose end sprayer that has the jar on it for the concentrate and it mixes at the tip. That way all I need to load in the tank is plain water and sticker. If i ever need more water I could just top off where ever I am (If I have water access) and not have to worry about having large jugs of chemical being poured. If I end up with extra left over in the tank and I can't spray for a few days I don't need to worry since it would just be water!

I guess the only problem with the set up would be that I'd have to be filling the sprayers container with concentrate on site... That's not illegal here, and I could have a dish pan or something to fill in just incase of spills...

Anyway, someone PLEASE start making a hose end type sprayer like this!!!

ThreeWide
03-20-2006, 11:04 AM
I think the problem with that involves the legality of using a hose end sprayer.

Seems that was discussed here before.

Runner
03-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Well, I know for SURE that trying to refill out of a customers hose (or ANY other source that isn't pre-approved by the DOA would be a litigation nightmare. I couldn't even IMAGINE what an inspector would say of he happened to pull up and see a truck with a hose sticking out of the tank in someone's driveway. 1.No backflow preventer 2. Spiget not within range of loading distance. 3. No loading pad. And these are just a few among a host of others. It's all in the book. Don't get caught.

Jason Rose
03-20-2006, 03:49 PM
wow, Michigan is pretty strict with their regulations!!! Here, all that's required is the air gap filler on the tank. Iv'e NEVER even been asked about a backflow device or how long the hose is from the connection... I HAVE been inspected several times too. Likely has a lot to do with the larger quantity of Agriculture in the area and they limit their restrictions to make things easier for them?

Runner
03-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh they are BIG on that stuff,here. As a matter of fact, that was one of the influencing factors in the decision to get a Permagreen. They were going to make me get (build) a loading pad. The cost factor was significant compared to the cost of going with the ride-on.