PDA

View Full Version : Beifits of Cedar Mulch

Branchland
03-17-2006, 05:44 AM
Talked to a potential new customer the other day and she asked about cedar mulch. If there was any pros to using it over hardwood. I've never been asked that and never put out any cedar mulch. What is the difference besides color? She also thought that she'd heard that cedar was better around swing-sets. Any truth?

grass_cuttin_fool
03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
Insects (mosquito, fleas, ticks) dont like it as well because of the smell. Be careful around plants though, cedar has alot of oil in it and can kill plants and trees.

wayne

Green-Pro
03-17-2006, 07:57 AM
The Cedar I get has a very fragrant aroma to it, however this tends to dissipate rather quickly unless the mulch is turned/raked every so often to stir it up. The color tends to fade faster than our double ground hardwood. It's a good product but around here over double the price to me and the customer, most prefer the hardwood for the color longevity and cost.

Az Gardener
03-17-2006, 08:40 AM
As mentioned above Cedar oil is a good insect repellent. The fertilizer injector company I work with is looking into putting it into their fertilizer in light quantity's to keep mosquitoes away. Also used in misting systems for the same thing.