PDA

View Full Version : The Best Tree for

JColeman
03-17-2006, 10:34 AM
making a barrier between a yard and a noisy highway. Zone 8. The tree line would be about 35 to 40 yards. Thanks

grasswhacker
03-17-2006, 11:09 AM
making a barrier between a yard and a noisy highway. Zone 8. The tree line would be about 35 to 40 yards. Thanks

My suggestion would be Green Emerald Arboevitae. Here is a post I found which might help your decision.

Q: The front of my lawn is shielded by what I am told are arborvitae. I live along a major road so they hide my view of the traffic and cut down the noise. I got a local tree trimmer to give me an estimate for trimming them into shape. I was surprised when he said that he wouldn't do it! He says he'd kill sections of the tree or he wouldn't be able to shape them enough. He said that arborvitae only likes to be trimmed in the sections that are growing. Is this true? (E-mail reference)

Dreams To Designs
03-17-2006, 05:45 PM
Is this to be a sound or sight barrier? Either way, I would use multiple species of plants if possible as to not create a monoculture. How much room do you have? It takes about 75" of dense plant material to reduce the decibel level by 10 points, but, out of sight out of mind seems to work well. A couple of tightly spaced arbs in a staggered pattern can be a thick screen, but it is not very attractive. The sound disbursement will be minimal, but it will help.

Kirk

allinearth
03-19-2006, 07:00 AM
Green giant arborvitae, leyland cypress, carolina saphire cypress, foster holly, nellie r stevens holly, cryptomeria, cleyera japonica, cherry laurel, savannah holly, little gem mag, pampus grass, burford holly. How's that for choices?

Coffeecraver
03-19-2006, 07:04 AM
A good mix of trees and shrubs would be good

Ilex opaca
Ilex x attenuata
Ilex x Nellie R Stevens
Ligustrum Lucidum
Myrica cerifera
Osmanthus
Pinus strobus

JColeman
03-20-2006, 08:29 AM