PDA

View Full Version : What seed would you use??

upidstay
03-17-2006, 11:40 AM
We are installing a new "general purpose" field. It will be used to practice on by lacrosse and soccer (3 teams total), as well as intramurals and pick up games. This is a college in CT. It will be native soil, crown drainage only, irrigated by a water cannon. The architect specs call for a 40/35/25 kbg/red fescue/perennial rye mix. I cannot figure out the red fescue part. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't see using this type of grass in an athletic field application. I was thinking of a 80/20 kbg/rye mix or a 80/10/10 dwarf turf type tall fescue/rye/kbg mix.
I was also hoping to have it slice seeded, then hydro-mulched with some Drive 75 added to the mulch mix for weed control.
Anybody have any thoughts??:confused:

John B Laidlaw
03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
Red Chewing Fescue???? I agree with you! Fine fescue for turf areas is lod school b4 they knew any better. Good for residential bad for high use areas.

I would not use any tall fescue varieties as it has a tendency to clump down the road. Use perennial rye mixes since you will need the quick germination of this type of turf for quick rebounds when the field takes a beating. In the summer, overseed with more of a blue mix as it will tolerate heat a bit better then rye and it needs the soil to be warmer for germination anyway.
We also use a water cannon and it is difficult to keep turf watered when the heat index rises quickly. Rest of what you have planned looks fine.

Planet Landscaping
03-17-2006, 12:39 PM
The red fescue is Creeping red fescue most of the time, I have and do use my own seed mix through Lesco for ball fields we do around the state it is 50%kb/25%CRF/25%pr. Call Lesco and ask For "PLANET PROFESSIONAL MIX". Tried and proven winner for ball fields. Any help we can be please call 203-881-9419 ask for Bill:usflag: (Several Architects with the state get the recomendations from me)

Grassmechanic
03-17-2006, 04:03 PM
For an athletic field that gets heavy use, hands down, Poa Supina. There is nothing better for wear. Pick a blend of 45% KBG, 45% Per. Rye and 10% Poa Supina. The P. Supina will take over the field and crowd out the KBG and Rye over time. If you can afford it, you can use a higher % blend of P. Supina.

John B Laidlaw
03-21-2006, 04:22 PM
Check this article out for the definitive say on Poa supina. Looks to be very promising...

http://grounds-mag.com/mag/grounds_maintenance_supina_bluegrass_new/index.html