PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia area question....

aemo711
03-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I was wondering if there is a need for a mobile landscaping equipment repair type business. I wasn't sure if you guys generally fixed your own equipment or had others fix it. I just wanted to know if it is a waste of time to get into something like that.....Thanks....Amy

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2006, 11:50 AM
well being from the area and knowing someone that tried that and it failed i would say no
there r to many shops in the area already to fix stuff i like the idea but dont think it will work in the economy we r in

TLS
03-17-2006, 12:23 PM
For homeowner type stuff it would work.

There are a few around.

aemo711
03-17-2006, 03:01 PM
My only problem with trying to fix equipment for homeowners is...if they bought a cheap crappy mower for say $200.00 then they won't want to spend any money to fix it....that makes me nervous. But landscapers have good equipment and spending $100.00 to fix it is worth it.

Dusty Cedar......you say you're from this area? It didn't work out for your friend? Why and what did he fix? If you like the idea....we'll fix your stuff!!! I'll barter with you...I need a landscaper!

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2006, 04:18 PM
he had a box truck with a bunch of stuff in it to sharpen blades and chain saws but he could only carry so much stuff so he had to make 2 trips and that cost money and with fuel at 2.60 a gal today i dont think trips r good for the bottom line parts were also an issue hell must of the mower shops in the area charge 75 bucks an hour to work on stuff what r u going to charge?
i like the idea but i dont know that it will make u enough money

aemo711
03-17-2006, 10:10 PM
What type of normal maintenance normally has to be done? Sharpening we can do....easily. Tune ups, oil changes...stuff like that. We have all of the tools. We could even fix things out of our garage. I don't know if that would be worth it. There seems to be a lot of guys around this area...do you think they would bring things to us? I know a few, so I might ask them. We wouldn't need to charge as much as the shops, because we wouldn't have all the overhead...This would be a side job for us. My husband is a auto mechanic full time and he actually likes to fix lawn equipment. He has fixed skid steers, tampers, mowers and things like that. I would think the price would depend on the parts needed. Hydraulics could be more expensive, but $75 an hour seems a little much to me. I would say...if you wanted the equipment fixed here it would be $30 an hour plus parts. Does that sound reasonable or stupid?

P.S. You really know how to piss in a girls corn flakes....Thanks

TLS
03-17-2006, 10:24 PM
Most of the "problem" items involve broken parts.

Idler pulley bearings
Bent spindles
Broken idler springs
Broken belts
Bent blades
Worn Gauge wheels
Leaking ORFS hydro line
Hydro pumps
Hydro motors
Electric clutches
Engine Starters
Battery cables
Air filters

All of these things would NEVER fit in a truck.

I have a VERY good dealer who carries several brands, and stocks parts for all of them. Even HE has to order things sometimes.

Running around tracking down parts would take up most of your time.

Most of the "easy" stuff us LCO's can and usually do ourselves. It's the tough stuff we'd want YOU to do. But if you've never done it before, it can get hairy.

Good luck though.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-17-2006, 10:59 PM
P.S. You really know how to piss in a girls corn flakes....Thanks
its what i do best :weightlifter:
u ask for an opinion and u got some

aemo711
03-17-2006, 11:11 PM
Sorry if I insulted you.....And really thanks for all your help guys! :drinkup:

AintNoFun
03-18-2006, 02:05 AM
dont listen to all these guys. i think if you could do actual repairs and come to my shop and fix them that would be great. i wouldn't have to pay a foreman $17 an hour to drive to my mechanic and waste 2 hours after stopping at 7-11 3 times.. i have 2 mobile mechanics that work on all my trucks and my welder/fabricator is mobile. these guys killing your hopes are guys who can waste a half day sitting at the mower shop waiting for there a new clutch on their 36. i think if you can find the right clients guys who run 3+ crews and offer them afterhours service as well you'd do great.

CAG
03-18-2006, 03:08 AM
a local dealer that does very well in our area try it last year and the guys said it didn't work out to well at all.. it was the response i expected after seeing the mobile repair truck at the dealer every time i drove by.. imo its something everyone wished they could call when they a mower $hit out on a big commercial account,but i don't think it would pan out for most people to go into it as a good money making biz..