PDA

View Full Version : How do you get a good bid price for spring cleanup

billsfanvt
03-17-2006, 01:38 PM
I recently got to met with a business owner and will mow and have the landscaping account if I come up with a good spring cleanup bid.
I went out a measured all the beds a tree rings and so on, and came up with
4185 square feet of muching needed. I know how much mulch is needed but wonder how to price out the rest of the labor. I will be doing it solo and will edge and prep and lay mulch my self. SO my question is what would be a good price to quote. Please send help, thank you

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
I recently got to met with a business owner and will mow and have the landscaping account if I come up with a good spring cleanup bid.
I went out a measured all the beds a tree rings and so on, and came up with
4185 square feet of mulching needed. I know how much mulch is needed but wonder how to price out the rest of the labor. I will be doing it solo and will edge and prep and lay mulch my self. SO my question is what would be a good price to quote. Please send help, thank you

:confused: Charge enough so, you know, you make money??
Sorry, but for me at least, this is not nearly enough information. What makes this job unique to anything else you've done in the last 7 years?

CAG
03-18-2006, 01:10 AM
Not to come off as in anyway rude but you should really read through the sites posts.. There was just a post where a kid just got burned buy giving a good price for a clean up expecting to get the mowing..(i think it was named i been had ) well read through the threads and you will find it.. Their is a lot of good info on this site for someone new, I'm assuming that you are new to the biz because if you weren't you would realize what you are setting yourself up for..

AGLA
03-18-2006, 07:59 AM
One answer is that you have to do enough of it to work on your efficiency and track all of your time for your own records. You'll find quicker and easier methods to do things than when you first start out. You'll add specialized tools and equipment along the way. Right now, you are having to compete with those efficient people while you are less efficient. That means it will take longer for you to do and you won't make as much money as they do for right now.
You are going to have to make your best guess and understand that next time you'll be faster and more efficient at it. In not too long a time you'll be working efficiently and making better money at it. You have to get the work to get the experience in being more efficient and to know how much you should have charged. Just remember, because you are not well equiped or experienced with routines that get you in and out of a clean up, you are not of more value to the customer. You have to eat your inefficiency rather than expect the client to pay more for the same job.

yrdandgardenhandyman
03-18-2006, 09:40 AM
One answer is that you have to do enough of it to work on your efficiency and track all of your time for your own records. You'll find quicker and easier methods to do things than when you first start out. You'll add specialized tools and equipment along the way. Right now, you are having to compete with those efficient people while you are less efficient. That means it will take longer for you to do and you won't make as much money as they do for right now.
You are going to have to make your best guess and understand that next time you'll be faster and more efficient at it. In not too long a time you'll be working efficiently and making better money at it. You have to get the work to get the experience in being more efficient and to know how much you should have charged. Just remember, because you are not well equiped or experienced with routines that get you in and out of a clean up, you are not of more value to the customer. You have to eat your inefficiency rather than expect the client to pay more for the same job.

Good post.

mexiking
03-18-2006, 10:15 AM
if you're not sure just charge per man per hour to play it safe...

Randy Scott
03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
SO my question is what would be a good price to quote.

Are you simply asking how to charge for mulching the beds, or for all of the spring cleanup?

bumper
03-18-2006, 04:26 PM
Like Randy asks....are you doing just the mulch in the flower beds..are you adding plant material? is there existing material needing to be cleaned up before the mulch goes in...how much if any will you be hauling away..dump fees etc...need quite a bit more info

billsfanvt
03-20-2006, 09:33 AM
To answer yardandgardenhandyman yes I have been doing this seven years but for a different company. I am an excellent mower(that is my fortee) and can do all the work when it comes to landscaping. I can even bid mowing jobs, but when it comes to cleanups and such I have no experience in the actuall coming up with a quote. But as time goes by and like most people said, it will come with experience, I agree. I have read through a lot of posts anc gotten a little better understanding from all the info. I do not want to come accross as pest just looking for someone to hand me all this information. So I thankyou all for your time and your advice and I will take everything into consideration. We'll chat again I'm sure, so please bear with me, slap me when I'm being stupid and thankyou for your info.

Randy Scott
03-20-2006, 11:13 PM
just looking for someone to hand me all this information.

please bear with me, slap me when I'm being stupid and thankyou for your info.

Consider yourself slapped!:) I don't think anyone should just "hand you over" the info. You need to earn or learn it like most of us.

As far as pricing the spring cleanup? We have no idea. Reasons? How many shrubs? What kind? How many trees? What kind? That would lead to the leaf cleanup labor. Do they need pruning? Are there perennials to cut back? What kind? How many? Any areas with annuals? Business location? Is there a lot of trash on the property? Do you get snow there? Is there cleanup associated to the plowing trash on the snow bank areas. Rock and debris on the turf from plowing? Access to the site? Dump fees?

Get my drift? Doing cleanups are labor intensive. Estimating them is tough until you bid a few and track your time. A good estimate comes from walking the site and taking down detailed info. No way in heck can we help you with a bid. I hope I shed some light on what to take into account. You just gotta put your bid out, hope you get the job, then track your time and learn from it. Unfortunately, you'll probably take it in the onions a few times until you can estimate accurately.

billsfanvt
03-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Randyscott please do not miss quote me! I said "I do not want to come across as a pest just looking for someone to hand me all this information". I get what everyone is saying, but don't take half my sentence and try to make me look like a (Donkey). I appreciate your info and imput, but I did not appreciate that.:nono: