PDA

View Full Version : best way to remove weeds from beds

mrbray101
03-17-2006, 03:06 PM
I am in the rpocess of helping my dad with renovating the front yard. We are adding some plants and remulching etc. I need to get something to control the weeds and get rid of them. I dont have a pest app so I dont have much experience with herbicides but when I worked with the county we put down snapshot. That seemed to work well.

There are a lot of beds with laropi/ivy/and close growing flowers which i do not want to kill. If I put down snapshot or something similar will this kill the weeds that are there and work as a pre emergent?

Any other suggestions on what to do to control the weeds. There are a lot of places where round up cant really be sprayed directly onto the weeds without affecting other plants. Thanks for any advice.

Pro Lawn LLC
03-17-2006, 03:24 PM
Snapshot is only a pre-emerge, it is very good at preventing weeds and also very gentle as well. Check the label for tolerant ornamentals and make sure yours are on the list. I would spot treat weeds growing in beds, but a safe distance away from ornamentals, with round up. Keep in mind that many of the toughest weeds you are likely to encounter are very resistant to round up. Being in florida you are very likely to be dealing with florida betony, dollarweed or doveweed. All of which need different chemistry to control. Unfortunately dollarweed and florida betony are usually the ones growing within the ornamental plants themselves. Try Image over the top of ornamentals to control dollarweed. It will probably take 2 or more apps. to get control. Florida betony and doveweed are particularly tough because in my experience the only product that works really well is atrazine and you can't even get it near the root zone of ornamentals without potential damage. Bermudagrass is probably another problem in Florida growing within ornamentals, but you can spray Poast over the top. Although I think Poast has changed names. Good luck!

mrbray101
03-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the advice, Ill give some of those a try. The weeds are not too too bad but he would just like to get rid of most of them before laying down the pine bark. Thanks again.

Landscape25
03-17-2006, 08:12 PM
You could try pulling them if it isn't that many and just use a chemical on the tough ones, then use a pre-em. If they are annual weeds hand pulling is a good method even though it may be more work.

mrbray101
03-17-2006, 09:37 PM
I think I will hand pull some and contact herbicide the ones that I can and throw down some snapshot or something similar. How do the homeowner type pre ems work like at a lowes or somewhere similar. And where would I get snapshot, as i said before I dont really have much experience with these. thanks again.

Landscape25
03-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I have never used a pre-em. Lesco might have snapshot, I don't know what the regulations are on that though. If it is just a small area I would try the stuff at Lowe's.