PDA

View Full Version : need some ideas

bobcatnj
03-17-2006, 06:51 PM
i need some ideas for this house. they want all the shrubs taken out and replaced. the windows by the driveway are for the garage to they dont care if they get covered with a tree or shrub.i was thinkin maybe doin a retaining wall at the end of the walk near the driveway where it slopes down.

sheshovel
03-17-2006, 07:17 PM
I would build a bed like this..and plant it as well as replant the front foundation beds..and maybe a large planting mound in the middle of the lawn with a big evergreen and some other stuff too..I would also have some moss boulders brought in and set in arrangements in the mound and the bed..I can't help you with plantings cuz I have no idea where you are so I don't know what grows there.

LB1234
03-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Why do they want everything removed? Does this include that weeping cherry? If so, I can take that off your hands if you want.

The landscaper
03-18-2006, 12:24 AM
I like the idea of having stuff on both sides of the walk. It will make the walk stand out nice with some lights running down each side of it.

bobcatnj
03-18-2006, 09:19 AM
they want it all removed she doesnt like it being all green. so whatever, she wants the shrubs out, there coming out.like u said i was going to put some shrubs on the one side of the walk, maybe a row of boxwoods and make a hedge. i need ideas for the other side of the walk along the house. if u want that wheeping willow its all yours

The landscaper
03-18-2006, 10:32 AM
They definately need some height in there. It is pretty basic right now. I don't have specific plants or trees, but something with some height by the garage would give it some variety.

The retaining wall at the end would help to keep from sloping all down hill but it may not look right if there is going to be plantings on both side of the walk.

AGLA
03-18-2006, 08:16 PM
That's one fugly house to have to work with. It is a pretty imposing house with so much big empty wall and the columns that accentuate the height. It is visually top heavy and they have done everything they can to make it so.

I like your idea of a retaining wall near the driveway. That will allow you to pull the planting past the end of the house without it falling away. That will settle it down slightly. I would also offer the suggestion that spreading the planting out past the other end of the house will tone it down as well. Try to upsell toward bigger nursery stock because the house really demands it.

I might suggest that you beef up planting along the outside of the walk only up to the point where it levels out. By doing that, you add visual weight toward the end of the building which is strengthened by keeping the planting in the middle light.

That overhanging roof does nothing functional because it is so far up. Those columns totally disregard the windows and doors. What were they thinking? Who puts a column in front of a window?

Window boxes going all the way to the outside of the shutters and painted the same color of the shutters will also help on the two garage windows only.

Coffeecraver
03-19-2006, 07:44 AM
Looks like a really bad landscape--
Im for removal of all but the Cherry

My Plant List Ideas;

2------ Prunus yedoensis --2 1/2" Cal.Yoshino Cherry
8------ Prunus Laurocerasus 3-4'-Schipkaensis
5-------Prunus Laurocerasus-18-24" Otto Luyken
10-12 --Encore Azalea's-15-18"-A.Twist

freddyc
03-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Put in the retaining wall near the driveway as everyone has said...think about another one in front of the house with a few large trees to break up the front...it looks like the adams family would live there.

If you can, dig a big hole and sink the house 6 or 8 ft..lol...its just TOO BIG!

Twist some ivy vines around those columns..at least at Christmas they can use them for a big wreath.

Good luck!

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 01:55 PM
. It is a pretty imposing house with so much big empty wall and the columns that accentuate the height. It is visually top heavy and they have done everything they can to make it so.

This is why I suggested a planting mound in the middle of the front lawn..with a few big evergreen trees..to visualy balance out the house.

PlantSolutions
03-23-2006, 05:31 PM
I would suggest a mixed border. Your client is complaining of too much green. If you go the opposite way, she will complain of not enough green in the winter. I can't tell which direction the house faces to recommend any particular type of plant, but you need horizontal elements, not vertical. The columns have done that for you. I would plant something like a Pagoda Dogwood for a horizontal branching tree. I would also incorporate some of those shrubs into a succesion mixed border. You also need to find out how much time they want to spend on it.

chriscraft
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Is that a house or an office building? the shrubs with that house appear to be like my son wearing last years long pants. The home just dwarfs the plants and lanscaping. perhaps installing a small mountain out front with a ski slope migh thelp also. It desperartely looks like it needs a rennovation or overseeding but if she doesnt like all the green you could overseed with roundup . that would give the lawn nice brown hues. JUST JOKING you realize

LawnVet
03-24-2006, 10:38 PM
Personally, I would use the strange architecture to your advantage. The bay window in the front looks incredibly out of place. I would use a retaining wall, the front of which extends from the lowest of the stairs, curves around to the side of the house and disappears and the center a block or two higher to fit just under the window. The key is making it all level. Plant a shade loving ivy or other ground cover beneath the window, maybe a baby's breath out beyond that and put some dwarf deciduous trees, similar to japanese maple (like the dogwood suggestion too), one each in front of window and lower beds. This covers the awkward bricks beneath the pillars and the boring foundation. As far as the walkway area, I love the second bed idea and the wall idea. Try to raise the beds next to the house up to cover the ugly foundation. As far as the rest of the plants, I would try to break up the monotony of the flat front by using a variety of sizes and color (definately a bright mulch to finish it off). This job should be a good one. Looks like they have the funds to go all in and unless you've gotten a different vibe I'd push for this complete landscape facelift.
happy diggin
:usflag: