PDA

View Full Version : Free Applications

FINN
03-17-2006, 08:28 PM
How many of you guys give away a free app/apps with a service program.

What kind of freebies are you seeing in your market and how are you selling around it?

I'm getting my arse handed to me with this free crap. I have a large independent give away 2 free apps and quote a 100k for less than $150.00/app? I lost another due to 2 free apps.

I had 4 others sign up today but this giveaway crap is starting to hurt.

Any ideas from you veterans?

stumper1620
03-17-2006, 08:35 PM
How many of you guys give away a free app/apps with a service program.

What kind of freebies are you seeing in your market and how are you selling around it?

I'm getting my arse handed to me with this free crap. I have a large independent give away 2 free apps and quote a 100k for less than $150.00/app? I lost another due to 2 free apps.

I had 4 others sign up today but this giveaway crap is starting to hurt.

Any ideas from you veterans?
don't try to compete with that "free" crap, sell your service and your programs as the best out there, if you lose them for the year leave your card and let them know if they are unhappy with the results they are seeing from the freebee that they can contact you when they are ready to have it done right. also, let them know the price will not go down Quality cost money, freebees are cheating them somewhere along the way, because nothing is free.

FINN
03-17-2006, 10:12 PM
Steve,

I appreciate the reply. I'm on the same page with what you are saying. I thank them for the opportunity and ask them to call "if it doesn't turn out like you exected"

I guess when I stop and think about it. Most of my customers had another service doing it before me and they were not satisfied.

vegomatic40
03-17-2006, 10:27 PM
I have done a few free apps. on corner lots in new subdivisions including model homes for exsposure and they always continue with the service and tend to generate a lot biz since they are high-visibility. Gotta think like a real estate agent..it's all about location, location, location. As far as the low-ballers go I ask the prospective customer what part of the treatment they want me to omit. Just fert? Sure no problem. Not interested in color or turf vigor? Easy. Stumper hit that one right between the eyes. Don't buy a Yugo then yell when it doesn't run like a Lexus. I'm sure everyones Dad said the same thing at one time or another. "You get what pay for" and "If it sounds to good to be true..."

lawn king
03-18-2006, 08:36 AM
I have had potential new clients ask how many free apps we do, they have been doing business with tgcl, my reply is always zero! We did send a mailing to 50 former clients this winter offering a free spring lime application if they reinstated the 5 step program, 7 of the 50 are back with us. In general, we are not in business to perform free anything. If you are a L K client on the full program & you are having a problem, we will come out and do a check back at no charge.

mikesturf
03-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Once you give someone free service, they might expect more in the future. If they don't receive it, they will ***** around for any company where they can get a freebie.

garydale
03-18-2006, 10:40 AM
We offer free application as a marketing tool all the time.
Examples:free application for
New sales-with coupon we mailed, full service program only.
Referral-refer a full service customer and get a free appl.
Customer appreciation-Thank you for support etc.
Customer complaint-To smooth feathers when we screwup.

Keep in mind its only for full service accounts and its the last treatment of the year.(winter fert.- urea)

walker-talker
03-19-2006, 02:31 PM
I have ran ads for a free app (winterizer, the least expensive) with yearly mowing service, but never had any sucess with it. I will offer $30 credit to existing chem app subscribers for any referrals.

Fertboy
03-19-2006, 03:16 PM
I rarely do I give a free app. In the few times I do, it would be for a customer who has generated me customers by referals. The only thing I advertise for free, is a soil test with sign up. I do this for the benefit to the turf,and most lawns will need soil corrections, that will generate me revenue in that way. As we know soil is a big factor in turf health. I stress this to customers, and they almost always go for the soil test recs. This is my WIFM "whats in it for me" solution. The customer and me win both ways. And if they they dont go with the soil corrections( I'm out $7), at least I know a idea of where their soil stands, and can apply the proper ferts. Thought this could help, NEVER SELL YOURSELF SHORT TO COMPETE WITH THE BIG GREEN MONSTERS!

Good Luck

ant
03-19-2006, 05:03 PM
i don't give applications away..my budget is based on my number of applications per season..
i do discount to a full service client blanket weed control,aeration ect...

Xterminator
03-19-2006, 05:13 PM
I offer the First app Free with a 1 year Program just as an insentive to get in the door. Yards under 10,000 Sq Ft . $50.00 off larger yards. It seems to work for me keeping them is easy.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-19-2006, 05:43 PM
last year it was 1 free app now its 2 free apps so i guess next year they will give away 3 free apps?
i am not giveing away any free apps
i cant wait till next year when all the free app people r now ticked off because they got the shaft and then i love the look on there face when they find out what it cost to do it right
noting is free and this giveing away stuff for free is only going to make the customers think they should only pay for 4 instead of 6 apps and keep hopping from company to company till they have a dust bowl of a yard from poor treatments from all the turnover
next they will offer free reseeding of the yard after they make it better lol