PDA

View Full Version : Weather Concern


Oasis1
03-18-2006, 12:02 AM
I'm about to do my first lawn renovation and I'm going to use roundup pro to kill off the existing yard. My concern is that I was going to spray this weekend but the temps around here just dropped into the forties and on Monday they say we could have rain or snow. If I spray this weekend do any of you think I will have a problem with the rain or snow or the forty degree temps. A majority of the grass and weeds are already up and I know its probably going to take two apps to kill it all so any advise would be great.

indyturf
03-18-2006, 12:16 AM
it too early for the round up to be effective! I would wait another month, then the ground temps will be high enough for the seed to germinate when you seed it. you don't want it to lay on the ground too long or it will rot or get washed away by heavy rain. I know everybody gets anxious in the spring, but you will get better results if you wait a few more weeks!

dcondon
03-18-2006, 12:18 AM
it too early for the round up to be effective! I would wait another month, then the ground temps will be high enough for the seed to germinate when you seed it. you don't want it to lay on the ground too long or it will rot or get washed away by heavy rain. I know everybody gets anxious in the spring, but you will get better results if you wait a few more weeks!


I agree with you!!!!!!!!!

Oasis1
03-18-2006, 12:29 AM
But if I wait then I wont be able to put down any crabgrass control. I'll be using Tupersan and it only provides about a six week coverage. So if i wait another month it will be to late. Any other recommendations.

mikesturf
03-18-2006, 09:51 AM
Then wait till fall.

ThreeWide
03-18-2006, 10:00 AM
You can hold off on Tupersan until your soil temps have stabilized near 50 degrees. Remember that crabgrass requires 55 degree soil temps to germinate.

My guess is that you have quite some time before that occurs.

Perhaps then you should mix Roundup with Tupersan at that time, and then you can seed shortly afterward.

philk17088
03-18-2006, 12:31 PM
But if I wait then I wont be able to put down any crabgrass control. I'll be using Tupersan and it only provides about a six week coverage. So if i wait another month it will be to late. Any other recommendations.
Treat the crab post-emergently with acclaim or another post material.