PDA

View Full Version : What to plant on a steep slope?

tomoaktree
04-28-2001, 06:18 PM
Hello,
Customer has house at the bottom of a very steep slope that faces the North and has some pine and maples adding to the shade. Soil is slightly acidic.
Customer wants to use Rodys and or Azailias to add color and help corrosion on the slope.
What would be some reccomendations? We are zone 4-5 and soil does seem rather dry but they say they will water.
I haven't done any plantings on slopes or w/Rodys. Any help would be appreciated.

Ocutter
04-29-2001, 06:49 AM
Depends on how steep the slope is. I usually see and use english ivy on slopes 20 degrees or more. Especially if those are hard to mow, or just plain eroded with root exposed. Pachysandra and periwinkle do well in shade too. Whats the angle you have to deal with?

tomoaktree
04-29-2001, 08:30 AM
Ocutter,
The slope is so steep that you can hardly walk up it without grabbing on to something to pull you up. They have some Pacasandra and perriwinkle that is doing ok. They want something bigger (shrubs) .

Guido
04-29-2001, 10:36 AM
I think groundcover is a great idea, and that would be simple, but they want shrubs as you say.

I would suggest using some large rocks or something of that sort to build little "planter areas" for these shrubs until they grow further into the soil. It would help keep soil around the roots while its starting off and until its strong enough to keep the contour of the hill.

It would also help keep the plants upright and not pointing out with the slope.

Just my opinion, hope it helps!

VRL
04-30-2001, 01:45 AM
Would your customer like the idea of tiered retaining walls?

Shrubs for shaded areas? Hydrangeas, Rodys, Azaleas and Clivias would do great under those pine and maple trees.

Just my 2 cents.

diginahole
05-01-2001, 08:18 PM
My favorite would be sumac.

tomoaktree
05-01-2001, 09:06 PM
Here's a little more to go on. The house sits at the bottom of the slope , maybe 50 feet away. The slope goes up about 200 feet. They only want to plant shrubs at athe bottom 30 feet. There are already 2 tiers ,maybe 4 feet each w/pacasandra and ivy. they want to go higher and plant without retaining walls .
Thanks for the replys...keep them coming.

3 Oaks Farms Landscapes
05-02-2001, 07:06 PM
Asiatic Jasmine or Junipers do well in Mississippi for steep slopes. The Jasmine will cover the hill and help keep erosion down, not to mention it spreads very fast.We also use English Ivy, but it takes alot longer to spread and get thick.

jeffyr
05-06-2001, 04:20 PM
Blue rug junipers maybe some winter creeper euonymous since they are low to the ground on a steepe slope.

Ground Rules
05-18-2001, 11:00 PM
What did you end up going with for this customer?

Originally posted by tomoaktree
Hello,
Customer has house at the bottom of a very steep slope that faces the North and has some pine and maples adding to the shade. Soil is slightly acidic.
Customer wants to use Rodys and or Azailias to add color and help corrosion on the slope.
What would be some reccomendations? We are zone 4-5 and soil does seem rather dry but they say they will water.
I haven't done any plantings on slopes or w/Rodys. Any help would be appreciated.

tomoaktree
05-19-2001, 10:37 AM
Customer has stated that their son may need a job and might do it themselves. They want something flowering and I recomended they only buy 2 or 3 plants and see how they do . Also told them to keep going with the ivy and pacasandra as rodys wont help much with soil retension.

4_wheeler
06-02-2001, 10:12 PM
If you have a slope that is that steep you are better going with a retaining wall for maybe half of the slope. This will add the look of sifistication and will still give you the slope look. On the slope I would recomend any strong rooted bush. I would stay away from plants. This may be more expensive but you will not have to do it again.