PDA

View Full Version : Yucca Plants

scarr133
03-18-2006, 09:46 AM
anyone know how to kill Yucca Plants? I have read that the seedlings are easily spread if not removed correctly, but nothing on how to remove them. I have a customer wanting me to remove an area of Yucca's and then have that area restored, and do mulch and other projects, so I need to know how to remove those. Any hellp would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ArizPestWeed
03-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Well , the roots are deep and the smallest of a root peice may regenerate .
He's asking too much .
Try a backhoe , dip deep . sift through all the dirt to remove the roots .
Tell him there is no guaranntee , it's unfair of him to ask for one .
Without a tractor , still you can dig with a mattock , shovels , if he's cheap .
For get about the seeds , they are easy to control.
We have catcalw out here in the west , I tell my people , forget it , it's coming back , alittle at a time , all you can do is maintain it , not eradicate .
But over time you will deplete it's underground food sourse , ( the roots) and it will stop
Hope this helps

bigandy
03-18-2006, 02:33 PM
I agree, yuccas are are next to impossible to erradicate. I was told that tordon would kill yuccas if applied to the root by my local coop manager, but dont waste your money. I cut the tops off of all of them, applied the tordon and waited a week. Then we dug up all of the root we could find and hauled it off. This was last spring and by fall we had LOTS of tiny yuccas back in the beds. I hate yuccas

ArizPestWeed
03-18-2006, 03:20 PM
Maybe , if you go down into the ground and drill a hole and pour 24d or glyfosate into it , that may do it.
I would try it

qball98
03-19-2006, 01:33 AM
If the customer wants them gone tell them to sell the house and move. I tried to remove about 15 of them a couple of years by taking a small track hoe and digging about a three foot around and two feet deep hole. Hauled all the dirt away and refilled the holes with clean dirt and still got little sprouts coming up all over the place.

ArizPestWeed
03-19-2006, 01:39 AM
If the customer wants them gone tell them to sell the house and move. I tried to remove about 15 of them a couple of years by taking a small track hoe and digging about a three foot around and two feet deep hole. Hauled all the dirt away and refilled the holes with clean dirt and still got little sprouts coming up all over the place.
Well , according to your dimensions , you did it wrong , unless you were being kinda general with the numbers .
It's like a long tap root that goes at an angle .
Look like a professional and be honest , tell them this ......

I doubt you will get rid of them in your life time (unless they are young people)
It will require constant maintenence to treat them as they come up.

You gotta sound like you know what you are talking about

qball98
03-19-2006, 01:53 AM
Well , according to your dimensions , you did it wrong , unless you were being kinda general with the numbers .
It's like a long tap root that goes at an angle .
Look like a professional and be honest , tell them this ......

I doubt you will get rid of them in your life time (unless they are young people)
It will require constant maintenance to treat them as they come up.

You gotta sound like you know what you are talking about

I was just being general with the numbers as an example of how hard they are to remove.

Yes they were told in advance that it would not completely remove them and that they would require continued maintenance to control new growth that would continue to come up from even the smallest piece that was missed.

scarr133
03-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Why the hell would anyone ever plant these things to begin with. They are kinda like a wife, they are good at first, and then they just become a pain in the a$$.

razzo
03-19-2006, 12:06 PM
Do They Have Gel On The Inside? Like An Aloe Vera?

razzo
03-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Why the hell would anyone ever plant these things to begin with. They are kinda like a wife, they are good at first, and then they just become a pain in the a$$.
DO THEY HAVE GEL INSIDE LIKE AN ALOE VERA PLANT?:rolleyes:

ArizPestWeed
03-19-2006, 12:58 PM
They were there first , the Yucca