PDA

View Full Version : Plant installation I did

mexiking
03-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Hi, Just posting a Plant installation I did last August.
These are the before pics.

mexiking
03-18-2006, 11:40 AM
this is the after pics...

Splicer
03-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Wow! Great job and nice wall!

barefootlawns
03-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Nice work it looks great

olderthandirt
03-18-2006, 01:31 PM
Nice, hope the customers appreciated it

sheshovel
03-18-2006, 01:38 PM
Looks good...any pics of what you did by the garage?

mexiking
03-18-2006, 01:43 PM
yeah... This is the right side, the customer put in the annuals so you can't see the plants too good since impatients were put in. The salvias I did put in.

sheshovel
03-18-2006, 01:44 PM
What did you do with the downspout drainage?

mexiking
03-18-2006, 01:46 PM
I dug a pipe with filter clothe dug and it leads out on the bottom corner of the wall...

mexiking
03-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Nice, hope the customers appreciated it

yeah the customer said a lot of people from the street have stopped by to look at the plants and such...

sheshovel
03-18-2006, 01:52 PM
Good now I am happy..like your work.Only one suggestion..when you put rocks in a landscape try to group them together and do formations rather than single rock placements.

mexiking
03-18-2006, 02:00 PM
Good now I am happy..like your work.Only one suggestion..when you put rocks in a landscape try to group them together and do formations rather than single rock placements.

okay will keep in mind your suggestion... thanks

olderthandirt
03-18-2006, 02:05 PM
Another suggeston is always bring the soil or mulch up level with the sidewalks. If some one slips off, they will break an ankle and homeowner and possably you are reponsable

NNJLandman
03-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Looks very good buddy, glad to see you posting, havnt heard from ya in a while.

Jeff

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 03:15 PM
I think it looks pretty good.

I think the japanese maple is too close to the house.

I also don't like the style of lights you chose.

The wall looks great except that one cap looks out of place, what type of stone did you use, what did you do for drainage?

echovalley
03-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Looks nice and clean :drinkup:

mexiking
03-18-2006, 04:03 PM
I think it looks pretty good.

I think the japanese maple is too close to the house.

I also don't like the style of lights you chose.

The wall looks great except that one cap looks out of place, what type of stone did you use, what did you do for drainage?

THe Maple, if it gets too close to the house in a few years, with simple manual shearing it should be good. I didn't install the lighting, they did. That one cap was just on top a left over. Also, thanks for comment.

sheshovel
03-18-2006, 05:10 PM
I was not even going to ask about the lighting because it is so obviously a homeowner lighting job.
I knew you did not do it.

NNJLandman
03-18-2006, 07:31 PM
you are so smart sheshovel so smart

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
Arent I?Whatsa matter with you now?Got a problem with Sheshovel we need to get straigtened out?
If so lets get this overwith now I don't like being blindsided.Too smart sounding for you?I wrote the truth..I was going to say something about the lighting tell I looked at it all and decided it was obviously a homeowner doityourself thing..Is there something wrong with saying so?

Dirty Water
03-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Arent I?Whatsa matter with you now?Got a problem with Sheshovel we need to get straigtened out?
If so lets get this overwith now I don't like being blindsided.Too smart sounding for you?I wrote the truth..I was going to say something about the lighting tell I looked at it all and decided it was obviously a homeowner doityourself thing..Is there something wrong with saying so?

You are so thinskinned.

Coffeecraver
03-19-2006, 07:28 AM
The Pieris Japonica
It is not very drought tolerant and does well in the shade

The Dissectum Maple grows to 6 feet tall and has a 10 ft spread
It should be at least 10 feet off the house

The Varigated Privet is the real source of concern
It is invasive and a really fast grower,requiring alot of pruning to keep it under control.

YardPro
03-19-2006, 08:33 AM
mexi,
i do think the job looks really nice.
the shrubs are way too close to the house.
in 5-6 years the homeowner will be having issues with the plants against the house, and could potentially sue you.

the last pic of the retaining wall, the small plants along the wall look like they are only a foot or so from the foundation.

a landscaper i know here has just been served with a lawsuit. the homeowner is claiming that his bed grading and his planting shrubbery too close to the house is why she has $120K worth of termite dammage to her house.

His general liability policy will cover it if she wins, BUT it will still cost him a lot of out his pocket, for higher rates, deductable, and then the bad word of mouth here is a real killer.

mexiking
03-19-2006, 11:25 AM
The Pieris Japonica
It is not very drought tolerant and does well in the shade

The Dissectum Maple grows to 6 feet tall and has a 10 ft spread
It should be at least 10 feet off the house

The Varigated Privet is the real source of concern
It is invasive and a really fast grower,requiring alot of pruning to keep it under control.

1. they have sprinklers and it does get shade too...
2. I do Bonsai and every tree/shrub is "pruneable" while still maintaining a natural look, so I see no problem.
3. are you referring to the goldmound spirea?

mexiking
03-19-2006, 11:29 AM
mexi,
i do think the job looks really nice.
the shrubs are way too close to the house.
in 5-6 years the homeowner will be having issues with the plants against the house, and could potentially sue you.

the last pic of the retaining wall, the small plants along the wall look like they are only a foot or so from the foundation.

a landscaper i know here has just been served with a lawsuit. the homeowner is claiming that his bed grading and his planting shrubbery too close to the house is why she has $120K worth of termite dammage to her house.

His general liability policy will cover it if she wins, BUT it will still cost him a lot of out his pocket, for higher rates, deductable, and then the bad word of mouth here is a real killer.

Everything will be pruned as needed, this was talked about with the customer, I do know the growth of the plants. The ones you said that the house are no more than 2 feet from the house, the customer wanted it them that close to block that ugly meter thing in the corner.

YardPro
03-19-2006, 06:24 PM
mexiking,
i am not bashing your work, so please do not take it that way.

I am an advocate that we are the professionals and should NEVER let a customer push us into doing something that is not right.

Shrubbery planted that close to a house is absolutely wrong. The meter could have been hidden just as easially with other material that would not cause problems down the road.
shrubbery should never grow against the siding, etc of a house. it creates an environment that promotes mildew, rot, etc.

planting this close to the house with the mindset that " we will maintain it" is a bad idea. You are creating a situation where the plant will have to be overpruned to contain it in the required space.
also what will happen if you no longer service the property, or if they sell?
in 10 years the new owners may feel that it was your bushes that caused them to have to replace all the rotted siding, or sheathing under vinyl.

they would have adequate cuase to file a lawsuit against you, as you are the professional and should have known better.

Coffeecraver
03-19-2006, 10:26 PM
mexiking,

I am an advocate that we are the professionals and should NEVER let a customer push us into doing something that is not right.

Shrubbery planted that close to a house is absolutely wrong. The meter could have been hidden just as easially with other material that would not cause problems down the road.
shrubbery should never grow against the siding, etc of a house. it creates an environment that promotes mildew, rot, etc.

planting this close to the house with the mindset that " we will maintain it" is a bad idea. You are creating a situation where the plant will have to be overpruned to contain it in the required space.
in 10 years the new owners may feel that it was your bushes that caused them to have to replace all the rotted siding, or sheathing under vinyl.

they would have adequate cuase to file a lawsuit against you, as you are the professional and should have known better.

I agree and that is my point.

gorknoids
05-02-2006, 12:55 AM
mexiking,

I'll bash your "work". While I recognize that there is a market for customers who have some extra money and no taste, how do you expect to establish yourself as a "landscape architect" by selling plants? What did you goon these dopes for? $10,000? Take some classes or something.

mexiking
05-02-2006, 08:24 AM
I'll bash your "work". While I recognize that there is a market for customers who have some extra money and no taste, how do you expect to establish yourself as a "landscape architect" by selling plants? What did you goon these dopes for? $10,000? Take some classes or something.

let me see your fine designs gorknoids

bobbygedd
05-02-2006, 07:51 PM
mex, i noticed in the last pictures, and in this one, you choose spruce spirals, as opposed to juniper or other varieties. personally, i use juniper only spirals. any reason you prefer spruce?

Eakern & Dog
05-04-2006, 11:08 AM
What design software did you use ?

Rayray
05-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I dont care what everyone else thinks......I think it looks great....and your cutomers seem to be very happy. How much did u charge for this job?

mexiking
05-04-2006, 09:17 PM
What design software did you use ?

Pro Landscape

mexiking
05-04-2006, 09:18 PM
I dont care what everyone else thinks......I think it looks great....and your cutomers seem to be very happy. How much did u charge for this job?

Hey thanks for comment, it was around 8.5k for whole thing

phototropic1
05-04-2006, 10:15 PM
It is a known fact that caffeine makes uptight people even more tense!!!

dtelawncare
05-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Well, I think it looks good. I am not a landscaping expert by any means. I don't know all the standards and what not. On the issue of being sued, can't you just have all the disclaimers in the contract? Wouldn't that keep you from being sued later on?

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 12:35 AM
Hey thanks for comment, it was around 8.5k for whole thing

Huh? Thats an 8.5 K landscape? I think it looks nice. The front by the garage is a little busy for me and i would have matched that evergreen with another one in the corner by that drain. And added soil. Actually that front in front of the walk could have been graded so it met the walk and the grassline and given more curb view/appeal.

Good job....8.5K?

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 12:38 AM
Why do you ask that?..what would you have charged for it?I say it looks like a good job and much better than some I have seen on here.$8000.00 Yea easy.

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 12:48 AM
double.......

Killswitch
05-05-2006, 12:49 AM
Well its not my business but I see 1500 dollars in materials, and 2 days work.

For one man.

Maybe I'm in the wrong business.

And dont get smart with me or I'll put you over my knee shee.

:walking:

sheshovel
05-05-2006, 01:07 AM
Oh PLEEASE DO!!!:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

mexiking
05-05-2006, 08:02 AM
Huh? Thats an 8.5 K landscape? I think it looks nice. The front by the garage is a little busy for me and i would have matched that evergreen with another one in the corner by that drain. And added soil. Actually that front in front of the walk could have been graded so it met the walk and the grassline and given more curb view/appeal.

Good job....8.5K?

you would charge 16k for that? Hrmm I would've spent a lot more on materials to charge that much... It wasn't that big of a project 8.5k was good profit, for me at least.