PDA

View Full Version : Lesco 80 spreader problem

dkeisala
03-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Posted this to the Lesco forum a week ago and never got a reply.

I ordered and received their 80 broadcast spreader. I assembled and calibrated it. When the control lever is placed in the full open position, the threaded end of the control rod hits the impeller. The control rod itself has a downward bend about a third of the way down from the control lever. Seems to me that if the control rod was straight it wouldn't hit the impeller? Contacted Lesco and they said it was the incorrect part and sent me a new control rod which is exactly like the one I already have. So, my question to those of you who use this spreader is, should the control rod be straight or bent?

MudslinginFX4
03-18-2006, 12:18 PM
Try flipping the handle the other way, then it should work.

C.T. Lawn Care
03-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I think you have the rod backwords. The one i have bends up word over the middle support bar for the handles. Maybe try flipping it over and see if that helps. i just bought mine about a month ago! Works great! EXPENSIVE but works great.

dkeisala
03-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Try flipping the handle the other way, then it should work.
OK - that was so brilliantly simple that I'm embarrassed. Thank you!

dkeisala
03-18-2006, 12:29 PM
I think you have the rod backwords. The one i have bends up word over the middle support bar for the handles. Maybe try flipping it over and see if that helps. i just bought mine about a month ago! Works great! EXPENSIVE but works great.
They are expensive but not much more than Earthway I had that finally died and a far more solidly constructed spreader.

Pecker
03-18-2006, 03:39 PM
Just bought a new Lesco 80 also. Expensive but am really happy with it. Question, btw, do those of you with the same spreader find yourself having to occassionally shake or jolt the unit to get the fertilizer to start falling? I thought that problem would go away when I replaced my older junker.

C.T. Lawn Care
03-18-2006, 03:45 PM
i have had to a coulpe of times. This only happened because some fert. was left in it over night and it got a little moisture in it and hardend up a little. Other than that dont really have a problem with it.

DUSTYCEDAR
03-18-2006, 04:27 PM
i have worn out a few lesco spreaders over the years but ill say this the r the best spreader out there

lampeslawnservice
03-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Just bought a new Lesco 80 also. Expensive but am really happy with it. Question, btw, do those of you with the same spreader find yourself having to occassionally shake or jolt the unit to get the fertilizer to start falling? I thought that problem would go away when I replaced my older junker.

Yeah, I have this problem too. I wondered if anyone else did but thought it was a fluke that I had now I know better. It's really annoying when the hopper is full and you have shake the darn thing. Wish we had a Lesco rep on here to help us out.

Pecker
03-18-2006, 04:51 PM
It's really annoying when the hopper is full and you have shake the darn thing. Wish we had a Lesco rep on here to help us out.

Yes! Thats what I'm talking about. . .ok, its not just me then. . .thank you

MMLawn
03-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I have this problem too. I wondered if anyone else did but thought it was a fluke that I had now I know better. It's really annoying when the hopper is full and you have shake the darn thing. Wish we had a Lesco rep on here to help us out.

We do. Just go to the Lesco Forum on here.

turf hokie
03-19-2006, 08:11 AM
No, it happens to all of us. I find it usually happens when you walk the spreader to long with the hopper closed. The agitator clip continues to agitate in the hopper. This will bind up the fert a little. I don't no of anyway to stop it. I just never really put more than one bag of fert in the hopper at a time. If I know I need more I will put a bag in the hopper and put an unopened bag on top and use it when I need more.

And I thought there was a Lesco rep on here in the sponsors forum. But I have posted twice over there without any response. I don't even know if he looked at the post. I asked him to call, email or pm me if he did not want to respond in public.

Maybe Sean can look into why Lesco does not respond to the posts they receive on the forum

vegomatic40
03-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Using the spreader-cover (you did get one right?) at all times can help keep mositure absorption to a minimum. Urea tends to attract moisture and humid conditions amplify the problem. Cheaper fertilizers or ferts. that have a higher Nitrogen analysis (25% or greater) without SCU can lead to binding. Shaking or "bouncing" the spreader can start the flow again but can also damage the impeller gear assembly,especially with a full spreader. I have custom-made spreader screens made from wire mesh that is finer than the standard screen that Lesco supplies that works very well. It is basically a rectangular "bowl" that fits into the hopper. This made by using a galvanized screen with 1/8" opening available at the hardware store (often used for rain gutters etc.) I cut the screen approx. 50% larger than the hopper opening, cut the corners so that the screen forms a bowl with sides about 7"-8" tall that keeps clumps from spilling over. Nylon zip-ties secure the corners and voila! No more clumps! When the spreader is empty, just pull out the screen and dump the clumps into a empty bag. Can't figure out why Lesco hasn't at least made something like this a option yet.

dkeisala
03-19-2006, 09:49 AM
We do. Just go to the Lesco Forum on here.
Yeah but try getting a response.

lampeslawnservice
03-19-2006, 09:26 PM
started a new thread with this question we will see if we get a response

upidstay
03-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Fertilizer binds together, especially on humid days. It is designed to draw moisture out of the air to help it break down. Undortunately this means it will stick a bit. Just bouce the spreader a little, no biggy. As far as spreaders go, the lesco 80 is the best anywhere. I used to wear tire treads out on them, they last so long. In five years, I went through three handle grips, one set of tires, one set of gears, a few hundred cotter pins, and a few truck loads of fertilizer. Then one of the new idiots they hired didn't secure my spreader well enough and lost it going down the road. They are durable, but don'y sirvive hitting concrete at 55mph. I got a shiny new spreader out of the deal though...