PDA

View Full Version : Running electric under a road

kootoomootoo
03-18-2006, 07:07 PM
Any of you guys know the requirements for running electric under a road out to an island. I am assuming it is 2in electrical conduit / 24 inches deep.

dcondon
03-18-2006, 07:17 PM
Any of you guys know the requirements for running electric under a road out to an island. I am assuming it is 2in electrical conduit / 24 inches deep.

We just had some put in and it had to be 3 inch conduit and 36 inches deep. Not sure if it's the same in your state. Hope this helps.

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 07:18 PM

It varies from state to state and county to county.

What voltage?

Over here anything after the meter needs to be 18" down if its in conduit, or 24" if its direct buried.

If it is between the Meter and the Transformer, it needs to be 24" in conduit.

Between the line and the transformer needs to be 38" in conduit.

Since your running it out to a island, I'm assuming 110, Usually 18" in a conduit (Because its under a road :D ) will suffice.

There is no code here for conduit size, most 110v and 220v feeds are 10 gauge or so and can be ran in 1" conduit.

kootoomootoo
03-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Totally ignorant here but my understanding is the national electric code is 24in deep / 2in conduit. My beef is I lost a $23,000 install because of the cost of running the conduit. .....go by tonight and check site and other contractor has run 1in poly irrigation pipe and pulled it through ..... no there isnt going to be any irrigation.

2x 20' pulls.
he quoted $400 .........I quoted $1600+ materials using a directional boring guy.

I talked to county ages ago and they were like you had to get it inspected etc etc. Could be fun.

ps. Thanks for the reply guys.... i will take some photos tomorrow.

Dirty Water
03-18-2006, 07:30 PM
Totally ignorant here but my understanding is the national electric code is 24in deep / 2in conduit. My beef is I lost a $23,000 install because of the cost of running the conduit. .....go by tonight and check site and other contractor has run 1 in poly irrigation pipe and pulled it through ..... no there isnt going to be any irrigation.

2x 20' pulls.
he quoted $400 .........I quoted $1600+ materials using a directional boring guy.

I talked to county ages ago and they were like you had to get it inspected etc etc. Could be fun.

Conduit size is not a national code.

How deep is this poly pipe? I've seen poly used for conduit, it has a red stripe on it identifying that it is conduit and not water.

I bet he will backfill the evidence without inspection, many fly-by-nights out here do that.

stumpjumper
03-18-2006, 07:35 PM
kootoomootoo

i'm a electrical contractor in oklahoma. the conduit size will be based off of the wire size, which will be based off of the load. all the information is in the nfpa code book. any high voltage installation(above 60 volts) in oklahoma has to be installed by a licensed electrician. 18 inches is the minimum for any high voltage underground. be careful, any injuries or damage and your legally responsible.

mbella
03-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Totally ignorant here but my understanding is the national electric code is 24in deep / 2in conduit. My beef is I lost a $23,000 install because of the cost of running the conduit. .....go by tonight and check site and other contractor has run 1in poly irrigation pipe and pulled it through ..... no there isnt going to be any irrigation.

2x 20' pulls.

ps. Thanks for the reply guys.... i will take some photos tomorrow.

You lost a $23,000 install over $1200.00?

kootoomootoo
03-18-2006, 10:07 PM
You lost a $23,000 install over $1200.00?

HOA
My bid was $23,000 and his bid was $26,000.......
His bid after I had been awarded the job was $22,000.

You know the young guy with all the fancy trucks, the pretty toys ...........the young guy who fails to mention daddy is a multi millionaire. but because he has pretty toys must know what he is doing.

2 customers called me to tell me I had been awarded the contract because it was announced at the meeting. 2 weeks later he has the contract.

As of friday I am pretty much booked out for the next 3 months now so its past caring but might let rich kid finish before I give pics to county.

mbella
03-18-2006, 10:27 PM
HOA

You know the young guy with all the fancy trucks, the pretty toys ...........the young guy who fails to mention daddy is a multi millionaire. but because he has pretty toys must know what he is doing.

2 customers called me to tell me I had been awarded the contract because it was announced at the meeting. 2 weeks later he has the contract.

As of friday I am pretty much booked out for the next 3 months now so its past caring but might let rich kid finish before I give pics to county.

HOA is all you had to say.

olderthandirt
03-18-2006, 10:48 PM
HOA

Need the name & # of the inspector to have the job inspected, if it's not to code it will be before they reopen the rd. that the inspector WILL close. :drinkup:

kootoomootoo
03-18-2006, 10:49 PM
Need the name & # of the inspector to have the job inspected, if it's not to code it will be before they reopen the rd. that the inspector WILL close. :drinkup:

Mac....wouldnt you like to see you know who fall on his face in front of the HOA ...givem enough rope.

olderthandirt
03-18-2006, 11:24 PM
Mac....wouldnt you like to see you know who fall on his face in front of the HOA ...givem enough rope.

You did'nt hear? daddy going through a divorce and the well went dry. That dam inspector is an azz glad we been friends since we was kids. :laugh: :laugh: I'll stop by and see him next wk. ask him if he aware of whats going on.I'm kinda curious if he knows

bonerigo.1
03-20-2006, 01:04 AM
What part of Buckeye Nation are you from? Ohio right?
I might know this guy you speak of.
Let me know I'm interested.