PDA

View Full Version : Renovating a sand yard to grow grass?

syzer
04-28-2001, 09:01 PM
We got a call today from a gentleman who has just recently had allot of construction done at his house. He told us he has about 9" of sand in his front yard and he wants us to make it so that grass will grow.

I have no idea what to do in this scenario, but it seems like it would be allot of work? What is the best way to go about doing this? Till in top soil? Or try to remove sand then add topsoil?

Anyone who has any type of experience with this I would really appreciate the comments.

Starling Lawn
04-29-2001, 11:13 AM
Chis,I would bring in `clean` top soil,till in real good,level then sod.I`m assuming your going to sod.We have nothing but sand down here in fla and have never had a problem with sand.
Dave

Guido
04-29-2001, 11:30 AM
I would take 4-6" of sand out just to be safe and then haul in some good top soil.

You'll just be safer in the long run in my opinion.

If you were to just till in topsoil, the ammount of top soil that would be needed to get good planting ground would bring the yard up a couple of inches and this could also cause a drainage problem, or other things.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing on this job.

lawnboy82
04-30-2001, 02:59 AM
this sand, what is it like? because almost what you could do is work with that sand base and just put in some irrigation lines. sand is good for rooting for things like bentgrass and some other varieties of turf. it drains really well because of the large pore spaces. so while you are going to have a very dry soil maybe you can work with that.

lawnboykb
05-01-2001, 09:13 PM
If you start hauling in topsoil you might make a layering effect for the guy. And the grass will never grow good.

lawnboykb
05-01-2001, 09:16 PM
This is one of the main problem with sod and a sand base. The roots want to stay at the top in the thatch.

greens1
05-02-2001, 08:03 PM
Use sand based sod, turf does't like to root through dissimilar soil. Sand is great for growing grass, as long as you irrigate. Fewer problems with disease and sand doesn't compact easily. Use slow release fertilizer, due to high perk rates. I wish all my lawns were sand based, life would be much easier.

Jim L

lawnboykb
05-03-2001, 08:46 PM
Greens1 good point you hit it right on the head......