PDA

View Full Version : What a great machine!!

Green-Pro
03-18-2006, 10:00 PM
I know it sounds as though some of us are on the LT Rich payroll (still waiting for my check Tom :) LOL). I gotta tell you the boost in efficiency my Z Spray provided is simply put a sheer joy! I finished up about 500000 sq ft of Turf today, started at 8:15 a.m. finished at 1:00 p.m. This was with chit chatting a customer, and returning some phone calls.
One other kind of neat thing to note, the novelty of a machine like this attracts the attention of "Harry Homeowner" I was asked for my card several times today.
I used the machine on some props with some pretty severe hills and had no problems provided I stepped off and walked the machine. Put out a super nice pattern, excellent coverage and very agile.

Yep I'm another happy satisfied LT Rich customer :waving:

Jason Rose
03-18-2006, 10:40 PM
half a million sq. ft. in half a day??? that seem high... but maybe you ment it that you finished up the last of the 500,000 today... Not trying to nit-pick, just curious...

I'm wondering just how much area a guy has to cover to be able to pay for a ride on spreader? The first round this season Iv'e used 2 tons. It's not too bad getting it all spread this first round, it's the next 3 or 4 and spraying too that kills me off when I'm trying to mow 6 days a week and then spread too... I looked seriously at the Lesco hps spreader and drove it around a bit too. I didn't care much for the upper body work out it was giving me and it was EMPTY and on flat ground. I'd also like the spray capabilities of a permagreen but i'm not too keen on the ULV spraying and Iv'e been warned that it does NOT replace the good old tank and hose method for areas that have bad weed problems. Most of my lawns I do are 10,000 sq. ft. + but there's still only about 40 I do. Spending 5,000 bucks on a spreader eats into the profits for a few years...

I have a spreader I mount on the front of my mower but since it's a ZTR I have no good way to get the ground speed exact other than just feel and guessing. So on a large property I can be way off in the end.

I'd love to find a good used permagreen, I see a member that still has a couple for sale but he's too freaking far from me!

I don't know of anyone around here that has a z-spray. I know one that has a truf tracker junior and several permagreens though...

Green-Pro
03-18-2006, 11:22 PM
half a million sq. ft. in half a day??? that seem high... but maybe you ment it that you finished up the last of the 500,000 today... Not trying to nit-pick, just curious...

I'm wondering just how much area a guy has to cover to be able to pay for a ride on spreader? The first round this season Iv'e used 2 tons. It's not too bad getting it all spread this first round, it's the next 3 or 4 and spraying too that kills me off when I'm trying to mow 6 days a week and then spread too... I looked seriously at the Lesco hps spreader and drove it around a bit too. I didn't care much for the upper body work out it was giving me and it was EMPTY and on flat ground. I'd also like the spray capabilities of a permagreen but i'm not too keen on the ULV spraying and Iv'e been warned that it does NOT replace the good old tank and hose method for areas that have bad weed problems. Most of my lawns I do are 10,000 sq. ft. + but there's still only about 40 I do. Spending 5,000 bucks on a spreader eats into the profits for a few years...

I have a spreader I mount on the front of my mower but since it's a ZTR I have no good way to get the ground speed exact other than just feel and guessing. So on a large property I can be way off in the end.

I'd love to find a good used permagreen, I see a member that still has a couple for sale but he's too freaking far from me!

I don't know of anyone around here that has a z-spray. I know one that has a truf tracker junior and several permagreens though...

Nope it was that much 500k well o.k. I totaled it up 484.6k for a more exact amount, honest to goodness. Two were 65k alone, two more were 45k and 46k respectively, one at 30.2k, nine at 20-25k, two at 11k, one at 9.5k, and one at 7.1k
very few small properties around here and virtually every new home sits on at the minimum a half acre. Big lawns with new houses are very popular here. Of the two 65k props one is a new home one is an older home.
I will have this machine paid for by the end of my second round. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out spraying yet and am looking forward to that. The unit comes with a 50' hose reel mounted on the side, I believe this should address any problem areas. I don't have a high volume of clients either but the majority I have are large properties. I am looking for the return of cost on this machine at the end of my second round, but would not be surprised if it will take until the end of the third.

Jason Rose
03-19-2006, 12:05 AM
So how much area do you cover total for each app? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much area is really needed to make a dedicated ride on spreader worth it. I don't know that my 850,000 sq. ft really justifies it! Sure would be nice though...

Green-Pro
03-19-2006, 12:35 AM
So how much area do you cover total for each app? I'm just trying to get an idea of how much area is really needed to make a dedicated ride on spreader worth it. I don't know that my 850,000 sq. ft really justifies it! Sure would be nice though...

It depends on the app. This first round is probably our lowest volume in regards to square footage, we treat right around 1.2 mil. The second third and fourth rounds vary, for broadleaf & fert (spring(2.7) and fall(2.7)), and Grub(1.95). The last round (winterize) dips back down again. We picked up customers at a ridiculous rate all through last year and even some over the winter months, I dunno its like we stepped into some kind of application vacuum in this town or something.
I don't know about you but I'm running into this more & more where instead of going with a full compliment of treatments, customers are attempting to be frugal by selecting the ones they feel benefit them the most.
Unfortunately pre-emergence is one they seem to neglect, i.e. if they can't see the weed, its not there. Go figure? The rising cost of fuel impacts so much of daily living I have no trouble understanding where they are coming from, I don't like it but it is what it is.

hmartin
03-19-2006, 02:13 AM

Jason, You can get speed control on your ZRT with a dollars worth of nuts and bolts. Just weld a 1/2" nut to a small plate (about 1"x2") and mount it in front of you handles. Then get a 1/2" bolt about 4" long and screw it in to the 1/2" nut. Align it so that the bolt, when screwed in, limits how far your handles can move forward. I use two jam nuts so I know exactly how far to turn the screw in. With a little trial and error, you can set up a bolt for any MPH and use colored tape to distinguish them. I use my ZTR to spray and have different bolts set up so that I can go at a speeds that give me 20, 25, or 30 GPA. The bolts can be removed in 10 second to go back to full speed.

ant
03-19-2006, 08:31 AM
[QUOTE=Green-Pro]I know it sounds as though some of us are on the LT Rich payroll (still waiting for my check Tom :) LOL). I gotta tell you the boost in efficiency my Z Spray provided is simply put a sheer joy!

thats great...
what mechine did you get?

turf hokie
03-19-2006, 09:04 AM
"I'd also like the spray capabilities of a permagreen but i'm not too keen on the ULV spraying and Iv'e been warned that it does NOT replace the good old tank and hose method for areas that have bad weed problems."

They are lying to you. Or are stuck in their ways.

The control out of the low volume is as good if not better. All of the product you are spraying gets on the leave surface. When you spray at 1.5 - 2 gallons per minute out of a tank you lose material to the ground surface b/c of the volume of water being applied.

Green-Pro
03-19-2006, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Green-Pro]I know it sounds as though some of us are on the LT Rich payroll (still waiting for my check Tom :) LOL). I gotta tell you the boost in efficiency my Z Spray provided is simply put a sheer joy!

thats great...
what mechine did you get?

I got the JR, I have large area properties but there are still some obstacles to get around. There will be some smaller props the 2nd and third round.

Russ
03-19-2006, 09:25 AM
I will have this machine paid for by the end of my second round. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out spraying yet and am looking forward to that. The unit comes with a 50' hose reel mounted on the side, I believe this should address any problem areas. I don't have a high volume of clients either but the majority I have are large properties. I am looking for the return of cost on this machine at the end of my second round, but would not be surprised if it will take until the end of the third.
You think you like it now, wait until you spray with it. Man your going to grow to just HATE a skid sprayer.

Green-Pro
03-19-2006, 10:20 AM
You think you like it now, wait until you spray with it. Man your going to grow to just HATE a skid sprayer.

LOL! Thats what I'm counting on!!