PDA

View Full Version : Disease Tranfer From Lawn To Lawn

Fertboy
03-19-2006, 02:46 PM
Hey guys,

I would like any insight, you have on disease transfer. Last season in July I was spot spraying Manicure, with a 6gal Chapin cart sprayer. The lawn I was applying it to was just starting to get some dollar spots. When I came back in about 10 days for a follow up, I noticed the area that was not diseased had small tracks from the cart tires. Also have a customer who gets her lawn cut same day as her neighbor, the mowers cut across both lawns,and have seen tranfer this way. Is there any methods to help stop this, sterilize the tires, etc? It amazed me the prayer cart tires did this as, they should have coat of fungi from spraying.

Thanks!

NattyLawn
03-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Check out this thread...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=112396

Agri-AFC
03-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Hey guys,

I would like any insight, you have on disease transfer. Last season in July I was spot spraying Manicure.....
You can't spray chlorothalonil on residential lawns anymore. It's against the law.

mak2
03-19-2006, 07:36 PM
Finally I think I know something. My other career is in healthcare and I completely understand sterile technique and transmisson of all sorts of infection, even if I cant spell it. While I was at my pesticide turf class I asked the experts at Purdue about that, they stated there is no transfer of any know lawn disease by mower. It does not make sense to me, but he said it was becasue of most infections are in the root or if in the leaf of a plant it dies too quick etc. He is definately the expert, but again I am not sure I buy it.:drinkup: Of coures chemicals can collect on the tires but it seems like it would have to be pretty gross contamination not to dry up and if granular fall off so slowly as to be unnoticeable.

Fertboy
03-19-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey ,

My mistake, it was Armada. I cant believe I forgot that, when I went into lesco my rep was rambling about Armada since it was new.

Ed

ThreeWide
03-20-2006, 12:07 AM
I do believe you can transfer Dollar Spot from one property to another.

Couple of years ago I mowed two lawns the same day with the same reel mower. This was a weekly routine.

Lawn A developed DS and within a week or two Lawn B also had it. Lawn A was always mowed first and then wet clippings were transported on the mower to Lawn B. At the time I had no idea that was possible.

bntt68
03-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Yes you can transfer RUST between cuttings. The question was brought up at our State licensing last week. They said other diseases could to.

Grassmechanic
03-20-2006, 09:56 AM
While I was at my pesticide turf class I asked the experts at Purdue about that, they stated there is no transfer of any know lawn disease by mower. It does not make sense to me, but he said it was becasue of most infections are in the root or if in the leaf of a plant it dies too quick etc. He is definately the expert, but again I am not sure I buy it.:drinkup:
Whaaaaaaattttt???? You mean to tell us that the Pudue "experts" have never seen Pythium transferred all across a golf course by mowing equipment before??? I've seen it several times. What was the name of the guy that told you that?

upidstay
03-20-2006, 11:16 AM
Absolutely you can transfer diseases with your equipment. I believe it is mostly via the mower decks, as someone with a phd at the end of their name said that rubber isn't a good spot for fungal spores to hang out.

kappa915
05-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Actually, current supplies of products containing chlorothalonil(manicure) may be sold and used on residential lawns, it is only new products containing these restrictions on the label may not be applied on residential turf.

olive123
05-08-2006, 05:18 PM
you can spread tree disease from one to another by pruning equiptment why not
lawns? Tollar spot is usually associated with lack of N.

SWD
05-08-2006, 09:09 PM
Whaaaaaaattttt???? You mean to tell us that the Pudue "experts" have never seen Pythium transferred all across a golf course by mowing equipment before??? I've seen it several times. What was the name of the guy that told you that?

I had a putting green utterly devastated from 9 pm at night when the trespassing occured to 5:30 am when I arrived. I noticed the problem by the smell the green was emitting as I was driving in to the maintenance facility. From 5:30 am from once I first observed the disease tracks from the foot prints, by 6:45 am once the sprayer was loaded and out the door, the green was completely covered.
Not only can a machine transfer diseases from one site to another, people can too!

philk17088
05-08-2006, 09:15 PM
Worst case I ever saw was from a mower cutting grass early am in high humidty and lots of dew on grass. He had straight lines of leaf spot days later.
All those spores and mycellium getting sprayed over the whole lawn by the blades.

Russ
05-09-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey guys,

Last season in July I was spot spraying Manicure, with a 6gal Chapin cart sprayer. The lawn I was applying it to was just starting to get some dollar spots. When I came back in about 10 days for a follow up, I noticed the area that was not diseased had small tracks from the cart tires. Also have a customer who gets her lawn cut same day as her neighbor, the mowers cut across both lawns,and have seen tranfer this way. .

Thanks!
I'd bet you sprayed that lawn between the hours of 10 and 4, that it was hot that day and there had been no rain or water for 3 days.