PDA

View Full Version : Swamp Maple Roots

kemmer
03-19-2006, 02:19 PM
One of my customers has a Swamp maple in his yard and he is concerned with his kids running around. The roots are supposed to come to the surface but i was wondering if there was anything i could do. Could i cut the roots? or should i put like a flower bed over it? or just add some topsoil and seed?

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 02:34 PM
WEll that would be a good way to kill the tree if you wanted too.

kemmer
03-19-2006, 02:50 PM
lol i know, do you know any solutions?

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 02:56 PM
Yea let the kids fall down..kids fall down all the time..whats the deal with not wanting kids to fall down anymore?It teaches them to watch where tha heck they are going!
Fence it off?Put up warning signs..
"Hey if you run here kid you may fall down"
electrical fencing,,,,hahhaaa just kidding

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 03:00 PM
I hope you know I am just kidding..all I can suggest is you tell the client not to allow the kids to play by there or remove the tree,or let the kids fall down ..heck I don't know really I do not.If your afraid your kid is gonna fall down in their own backyard you got a problem.I mean your customer does..sorry leaf..there will be people that will tell you to go ahead and make a flowerbed out of the base of that tree but it is a bad bad thing to temporarily help a client by hurting them in the future

Xterminator
03-19-2006, 03:02 PM
If you cover the roots you kill the tree. If you cut the roots you kill the tree. So just cut the Tree down and save the man some money and Kids Skined Knees

Paradise Landscapes
03-19-2006, 03:04 PM
paint a circle arround the tree,edge and remove the grass from arround the tree then mulch it.

newz7151
03-19-2006, 03:05 PM
Depending on how far these roots extend above ground, maybe you could talk them into building an elevated decking over the roots. Leave like a foot of space between the ground and decking for air space and maybe 6"-12" around the base of the tree. Then maybe they could put some potted flower pots and a sitting bench on the decking.

Dirty Water
03-19-2006, 03:59 PM
Bury dog fence wire, and equip the kids with shock collars.

I'd just tell them to take the tree out if they are concerned, if you grind those down the tree is going to be pissed.

kemmer
03-19-2006, 04:15 PM
ok i figured that would be the answer, (cut the roots was his idea, stupid idea on his part)

sheshovel
03-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Depending on how far these roots extend above ground, maybe you could talk them into building an elevated decking over the roots. Leave like a foot of space between the ground and decking for air space and maybe 6"-12" around the base of the tree. Then maybe they could put some potted flower pots and a sitting bench on the decking.

This is a good idea!

AGLA
03-19-2006, 05:39 PM
I think I hear Ray Parker Jr. singing
"So, you got some roots in your neighborhood
your taking bids to save your kids
Who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!":blob2:

The mulch is a good solution as Paradise said. The mower will stop hacking the roots, the kids get a warning track like at a baseball field, the tree is happy and life is good. You could plant some ground cover in between if you want.

Paradise Landscapes
03-20-2006, 07:07 AM
I think I hear Ray Parker Jr. singing
"So, you got some roots in your neighborhood
your taking bids to save your kids
Who ya gonna call?
Ghostbusters!":blob2:

The mulch is a good solution as Paradise said. The mower will stop hacking the roots, the kids get a warning track like at a baseball field, the tree is happy and life is good. You could plant some ground cover in between if you want.

Hahhaha I like that one!! I'll post my perody of that song next week. You'll like it.!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
When I worked for another landcaper, (Hawley Landscape inc.) Thats' what we did. I still do it because its' the cheapest method with good outcomes.

Dreams To Designs
03-20-2006, 09:14 AM
Snowy, if it is a swamp maple, it is an Acer rubrum, or Red maple. As with all maples they are shallow rooted and need to be near the surface for gas exchange, but by no means are they anywhere near as bad as Acer platanoides, Norway maple, or Ace saccharinum, Silver maple. Do you know which tree you are dealing with or taking the clients observations?

The best suggestion for all involved, including the tree is a large mulched area to keep children and the roots protected. I have to agree with She Shovel, if the kids play there and they fall, they will learn to not play there and fall. After all, it is the great outdoors, enjoy it. If you try to plant flowers or ground cover, they will just have to compete with the tree for water and nutrients, and if the tree is of any size, trees usually win. If the tree is in the way or will be abused, suggest removal and planting of more appropriate plants or waiting till the children don't need to play in that area and future plantings.

Kirk

Jason Rose
03-20-2006, 10:01 AM
JUst looking at the bark on the tree, and the fact that the silver maple was one of the most popular trees to plant here 20 years ago... I'd say it's a silver maple. However the old varities of red maple (no I don't know the latin names, lol) were just as bad as the silvers with the surface roots.

I have to MOW many lawns that have silver maples, what a nightmare.... Iv'e seen some places where the majority of the lawn is knobby roots sticking up, can't even use the lawn anymore! The only places silver maples are planted now is in the large lawns where they can be away from people.