PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf Alberta Spruce Problems

mmacsek
03-19-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm having some problems with Dwarf Alberta Spruce turning brown. Sorry i don't have pictures but the plant looks healthy on one side and the other half is brown and needles fall off. The last plant I bought was for Christmas at our house. I put the plant in the garage after the holidays,Cool temp., and sarting to set it outside and the brown is accelerating. I put white paper towels under the tree and shook it to see if I can see any pests to no avail. These plants are not being overwatered. The problem is with any Dwarf Spruce I plant. They are not bought at the same nursery. Any ideas? Thanks Matt

Splicer
03-19-2006, 03:51 PM
The problems I had when planting these on my Garden Railroad was usually root bound. This may help you out:
http://mylargescale.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt
Well that may not work after all. Search using the words dwarf alberta spruce. And change the topic it searches from 'News' to 'Plants and Gardening'. Those are the main trees we use for our layouts.

Grassmechanic
03-19-2006, 04:50 PM
Dwarf Alberta's are a pain. They need full sun or they'll die out, especially on the side planted near a building. Then there are spider mites. It sounds as if you may have left yours in the garage for too long.

mmacsek
03-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Dwarf Alberta's are a pain. They need full sun or they'll die out, especially on the side planted near a building. Then there are spider mites. It sounds as if you may have left yours in the garage for too long.
Mike, Thanks for the quick reply. For future reference, How do you tell if spider mites are present? Matt

Splicer
03-19-2006, 07:05 PM
http://mylargescale.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=30262&SearchTerms=spider,mites

Dstosh
03-19-2006, 07:40 PM
It is most likely spruce spider mite, Try getting the trees wet on a regular basis, ie if you have a sprinkler system, try to turn the spray into the plant. Spider mites cant stand wet conditons.

joshua
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
how to check for spider mite is get a piece of clean all white paper take a somewhat dead branch and tap it on the paper. the insect is almost invisible its so small, they are red in color and are smaller than the size of a grain of table salt.

Grassmechanic
03-20-2006, 09:25 AM
Mike, Thanks for the quick reply. For future reference, How do you tell if spider mites are present? Matt
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I use the method that Joshua has mentioned.

PSUturf
03-20-2006, 10:50 AM
You said the 1/2 of the spruce is turning brown. Is it the side facing the sun? Does it start turning brown in Dcember - January? Dwarf Albertas are very susceptible to desication in the winter. Ideally they should have protection from wind and mid-day sun. We've got one next to the office door that is all brown on the south side. It started turning color around the first of the year. If it's not too severe new growth will cover up the brown needles.

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 02:06 PM
Ya know I have seen this problem quite a bit in these
tree's.Mosst times there are no mite problems..the dang things just die on one side for no apparent reason.I have removed many of these with the exact
symptoms and found NO rhyme or reason for it.I think it might be genetic

JTHutch
03-20-2006, 03:14 PM
We have this problem as well, mites not always being the problem The dead side is usually the side facing the house. My own thoery is that the house absorbs heat in the summer and over heats the side that is closest (mostly on brick houses) This theory probably doesn't hold water but it is the best thing I can tell a customer when they want to know why there tree is dying.

sheshovel
03-20-2006, 03:31 PM
That's a good possibility but I have seen these tree do this in open areas too.

joshua
03-21-2006, 12:38 AM
come on the side facing the house on a light color house depending on what you call it is usually winter burn or sun burn ( how ever you like saying it ).

PlantSolutions
03-23-2006, 05:14 PM
Hav eyou ever heard of a witches broom? Thjat's what a Dwarf Alberto Spruce is. It was a funny growth on a Norway Spruce and they cut it off and plant it and it became the Dwarf....... It is a plant I would and will not place in the landscape unless the client demands it because of all the problems with brown out and spider mites. What's worse, it won't come back on the side it had problems. My recommendation...don't plant it! Too many problems.

T.E.
03-23-2006, 06:31 PM
What is something similar to dwarf alberta spruce, that doesn't have too many problems?

joshua
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
something similar is emerald green arborvitae. dark green color, slower growing than a regular arborvitae, height 12''.

Grassmechanic
03-24-2006, 10:19 AM
What is something similar to dwarf alberta spruce, that doesn't have too many problems?
Wichita Blue Juniper.