PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes

The Ripper
03-19-2006, 02:42 PM
I use 16ft and 20ft open landscape trailers. I am about to buy some new ones and I was wondering what everyone thought about trailer brakes. Are you pro brakes or anti brakes and why?

Thanks!

JB1
03-19-2006, 02:57 PM
think about the question you just asked, do you want to be safe or not.

G&S LANDSCAPING
03-19-2006, 03:57 PM
Get the brakes ,For saftey # 1. And resale value down the road.

grass_cuttin_fool
03-19-2006, 05:32 PM
B efore I had brakes I said it was a big added exspense. In Va. it means that the traailer has to be inspected each year and the cost of having the brakes in good condition. After having them, I would be lost now, it makes it so nice when you step on the peddle and have the added stopping power. When I pull my 12 foot trailer I can tell A BIG difference

wayne

bnorton
03-19-2006, 10:00 PM
I would not have another trailer without brakes. I went through 3 sets of brake pads on my pickup in one year. Then put a brake axle on the trailer, changed the whole picture. My new 20 ft. trailer on order has two brake axles. In my opinion the more the better.

efaubert1
03-22-2006, 08:15 AM
Um, trailer mfg's can get away with SELLING trailers without brakes, but YOU can't legally pull any DUAL axle trailer that has 3500 pound axles on it legally. Dot requires brakes on each wheel for any trailer that has 3500 or better axles.

drsogr
03-22-2006, 08:55 AM
Brakes are a must. Not just from a safety standpoint, they are just really nice to have.

bugspit
03-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Just bought a 5X10 with electric brakes, using a Ranger to pull, LOVE IT! What a relief for Ranger too.

:usflag:

BSDeality
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
this is why you need trailer brakes...
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24115&d=1092260106
It _was_ a brand new (at the time) 2004 Infiniti G35 2door coupe with only ~250miles, fresh off the dealer lot that day. It went from compact to sub-compact after I slammed into the back of it with my 1500 and 12' trailer

stroker51
03-22-2006, 10:32 PM
Just met with a DOT rep today, and the rule is, if trailer gross is over 3K, each axle on the ground has to have brakes=each wheel on ground needs a brake. Not only is it required to be legal, it is soooo much easier on the truck to have good brakes on the trailer.

drsogr
03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
Just met with a DOT rep today, and the rule is, if trailer gross is over 3K, each axle on the ground has to have brakes=each wheel on ground needs a brake. Not only is it required to be legal, it is soooo much easier on the truck to have good brakes on the trailer.

LOL...I have never heard of that one. Many trailers that do have breaks only have breaks on a single axle.

Jason Rose
03-23-2006, 03:09 PM
LOL...I have never heard of that one. Many trailers that do have breaks only have breaks on a single axle.

Brakes on BOTH axles is state DOT law here. Any trailer 16' and longer, or over 3,500 lb GVW or being used by a contractor HAS TO HAVE BRAKES ON ALL WHEELS. Also a battery back up break away controler, DOT approved wireing, DOT reflective tape, and I forget the rest... That's the gist of it though.

The crack down on the trailers started about 4 years ago. Commercial people caught with a non-compliant trailer were forced to leave it where it sits and have it hauled with a roll back back to your business or a repair shop to get the upgrades done. I thougt it was a rumor but then heard multiple stories confirming it from people who were shut down. Most all contractors had to replace axles or their complete trailers to get up to complience. Of course there is FINES involved, and as you can bet, it's just another BS way to generate some funds for the state!

I'm not arguing against brakes, don't get me wrong! They are much needed, but on landscape trailers having to have them on all wheels is overkill and a waste of money. I have slowly made my trailer up to "code" the past few years. In the time I have owned this trailer I have never been stopped. I do avoid pulling it on any highway or state road and use it only for in town and country roads. I KNOW I would get stopped if I was caught with it on the highway, more so if I was pulling it with my truck with my business name on it.

(and yes i'm sitting at home today because there is still some snow left that hasn't melted from last night!)

drsogr
03-23-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh lord...what a joke. I am getting so tired of all of the little kansas dot laws. I don't understand why things are the way they are. If you go to buy a new trailer in kansas, very few of them have those required things. I have a 10' single axle. I guess when I get my new trailer I will worry about those things then....its just a joke. I am guessing the trailers that I rent don't even have brakes on both axles.

PLM-1
03-23-2006, 07:51 PM
What about MO licensed trailers operating business in KS??

stroker51
03-24-2006, 08:26 PM
Aight, Kansas guys, what the special investigator told myself and two other landscapers/mowing contractors at my shop on wednesday was that if, you are a commercial vehicle, which we are, with a GVWR of truck and trailer over 10,001 lbs, we fall into DOT/KCC jurisdiction. If you operate within 25 miles of your home town/base/whatever, you just fall under KCC safety regulations. You have to have a Medical card for every driver, an "inquiry to state agency" or somthing like that regarding the drivers driving records, and several other things i will post tomorrow, my list is in the shop and i am not, but I would highly recommend being in compliance, as the 4 things that a trooper will check for and fine you big time for are $500 fines a piece. I agree that a lot of this is BS, most of it comes down from trucking regulations, and everything cracking down on us has come since we got a new governor. Graves was known as a friend to the trucker, so i think when he had to be replaced, that might have been when things went south, but i dunno. Anyway, i will post all the required stuff and the KCC website tomorrow.

stroker51
03-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Ok, you have to have a driver qualification file for every driver, yourself included, even though you are the owner. In this file you must have the forms that KCC provides, they are a Driver Application for Employment (Just write self-employed on it) an **"Inquiry to State Agencies" (Driving record check)**, Inquiry to previous employers for 3 years (again, write self employed) **Medical Card** Driver's Road Test, Annual driver's certification of violations and annual review of driving record, and for hired employees only (us solo guys don't need to worry about it) there is a Driver data sheet.

Hours of Service of Drivers
Retention of record of duty (six months) by month, by driver at principal place of business=time sheet of hours logged in truck, so if you leave the shop at 8 and get home at 7, that is 11 hours in service, whether the truck was operated that whole time or not.

Inspection, Repair and Maintenance
Records of maintenance must be maintained on each commercial vehicle for one year plus six months after vehicle leaves carriers control

**Daily post trip inspection on each commercial vehicle must be completed and maintained for 90 days**

**An annual inspection must be completed on each commercial vehicle**(This is trucks and trailers.)

You also have to apply for a motor carrier (DOT) number that has to be updated every 2 years, and display your company name, DOT # and GVW (tagged weight of truck) on the truck,and my sign guy said they had to be an inch and half tall letters. The ** means you MUST have, $500 fine a pop if you don't. The KCC website is www.kcc.state.ks.us, and i know this post probably only confused everyone as much as my meeting with the special investigator did me, but there is a LOT of hoops to jump through to be compiant, I dont agree with this, as i am sure many of you don't but until somthing gets changed, i know i am gonna try really hard to be in compliance.

dcondon
03-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I use 16ft and 20ft open landscape trailers. I am about to buy some new ones and I was wondering what everyone thought about trailer brakes. Are you pro brakes or anti brakes and why?

Thanks!

I say yes on getting brakes!!! It may save your life someday and plus it will save a lot on your truck.