PDA

View Full Version : Landscape software

Paradise Landscapes
03-19-2006, 05:03 PM
I looked and looked using the search. All I can find is people talking about Pro Landscape, and other professional design programs.

What about the cheaper ones? anyone ever used them? heres' some links:

http://www.punchsoftware.com/products/five.htm

http://www.punchsoftware.com/products/MasterPro.htm

http://www.gardencomposer.com/

http://www.ideaspectrum.com/

http://www.homedesignersoftware.com/landscaping/

Adamma Landscape Group
03-19-2006, 05:25 PM
YPYG. To me what you pay is what you get in software. The best softwares are usually the most expensive. Remember it took a lot of time for scientists and engineers to write and develop the software. Cheap softwares never work well. Save money and buy the top of the line software and you will never regret. :usflag:

Xterminator
03-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I just got ideaspectrum Realtime Landscaping Pro put it in this morning played with it a little. I think I'll like it once I get used to it

Paradise Landscapes
03-19-2006, 05:49 PM
YPYG. To me what you pay is what you get in software. The best softwares are usually the most expensive. Remember it took a lot of time for scientists and engineers to write and develop the software. Cheap softwares never work well. Save money and buy the top of the line software and you will never regret. :usflag:

YPYG? anyways, what program do you use?

Travel'n Trees
03-20-2006, 02:16 AM
Had punch it's at BEST BUY. I have not missed a job with landscape pro .

Paradise Landscapes
03-20-2006, 08:02 AM
I know alot of the members here swears by Landscape Pro. I do too, but, although it is arround 1500.00, I am looking for a program that I can start with. The jobs I get can't justify Landscape Pro at this current time. I do plan on buying Landscape Pro when I get more Design/Build jobs.

Dreams To Designs
03-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Paradise, are you a landscape designer or a landscaper. It matters because of the amount of time, effort and skill you will apply to any landscape design you create, whether it be hand drawn, 3D imaging or CAD based. If the jobs you are doing now don't justify Pro Landscape, perhaps you would be better served by graph paper or vellum and pencils. If you believe Pro Landscape or any other software is going to make your designs better, you are mistaken. You may be able to present better, with 3D imaging, or the CAD drawings may be clearer because they are drawn by a computer, but you will still be the designer. Many landscapers I deal with tried to do their own design work and found it to be another division for their company they could not afford, in both time and cost. Some prefer to design on the fly, right on site and make it up as they go along. That's is ok, but you won't typically get the high end jobs. If you want designs that are as good as your own work, perhaps you should network with some folks that can help you in that area, just as you might sub out to a hardscaper or irrigation installer. If you are set on doing design, and you have the skills, talent and time, Pro Landscape is an excellent program and I have been very successful using it.

As a designer, I do work ranging from simple 3D images to full blown plans with construction notes, imaging, plant and materials lists, incorporating engineers and any other design services need by the clients or installers I am working with. The programs that are sold at retail outlets belong in the hands of homeowners that want to try and design their own landscapes, or play around and share their ideas with you. We all have to start somewhere, and sometimes buying a less expensive tool looks like a means to an end, but often times it will only add frustration to your quest for professionalism. There are many independent designers and even some internet design companies that may be able to assist you. My suggestion is, do what you do best and can be profitable at, and when in doubt, sub it out. No matter what that service may be. Most of the installers I work with do not say no to their clients, they just find a sub that can do it for them, including design work.

Kirk

Paradise Landscapes
03-20-2006, 07:00 PM
I do all, Landscape, hardscape and designs. You are right though. I mainly use the hand method right now. That works well for now. It's just that I thought a computer program would help me visualize what I'm trying to offer to the customer. By hand, I'm doing top views, a program would give me frontal views. I'm trying to do all. The soon-to-be wife of mine wants to do design work and wants to go to college for it this fall. Meantime, I'm the designer, Landscaper and Hardscaper.

Dreams To Designs
03-21-2006, 08:01 AM
3D imaging is a cool feature, but it is merely a presentation tool to allow your client to get a vision of what you are trying to get across to them. It is not very accurate or real, but it does offer a glimpse of virtual reality. It is a great tool for most homeowners, as they don't understand a well designed landscape plan until it is installed. A nice feature of the 3D imaging is you can create a photo and email it to the client to get feedback without visiting or waiting for you next meeting. The pics are pretty self explanatory and they will like it or not. Sometimes you may use an image of a plant that looks better than the image of the plant you intend on using. it's only a suggested image and your horticultural knowledge will enable you to choose the right material. The imaging does take some time to master, but is worth the effort for a generation that must see it to understand. You may even find they raise the budget to meet the concept you have created for them With pro Landscape you are able to create lighting scheme for the landscape you propose and I always include that as part of my design work. Lighting is another excellent income source and your clients should appreciate lighting as it relates to safety, security and aesthetics.

Kirk

NickN
03-21-2006, 09:41 AM
<i>3D imaging is a cool feature, but it is merely a presentation tool to allow your client to get a vision of what you are trying to get across to them. It is not very accurate or real, but it does offer a glimpse of virtual reality. It is a great tool for most homeowners, as they don't understand a well designed landscape plan until it is installed.</i>
<p>Exactly right.It's a great closing tool.I've increased my closes to around 80% using ............drumroll...........Punch Master Landscape.A cheap program,but it gets the point across.The more you experiment with it,the better you get.If you can't get the more expensive programs,get Punch and give it a try.PM if you have any questions,as it's a bit difficult to figure out getting the home laid out.You'll need a graphics program as well,like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro to edit the home photo.
One nice feature I've found useful is the 2D grid layout.You can set your squares to size(like graph paper) and drop in your plants.When you're done,you know how many plants you'll need without having to hand draw it.
The virtual ruler is nice as well.You can expand it to the length needed,and use it as a guide for your bed design,instead of counting squares.
Right now I'm booked into May with the help of cheap software.Once someone can "see" what you've got in mind,it makes closing a whole lot easier.

Paradise Landscapes
03-23-2006, 09:15 AM
I'll give punch master landscape a try. I'll pick it up in a few weeks.

dforbes
03-27-2006, 10:14 PM
I know alot of the members here swears by Landscape Pro. I do too, but, although it is arround 1500.00, I am looking for a program that I can start with. The jobs I get can't justify Landscape Pro at this current time. I do plan on buying Landscape Pro when I get more Design/Build jobs.

try this link http://www.visapp.com/LandscapeandOutdoor.htm (copy it and paste it to your browser)
they have a new version of software I have been using for 5-6 years
very easy to learn and very profesional looking. take a picture with a digital camera inport it and start designing. Follow the links I think they have a trial version. Around $40.00. Let me know what you think

Paradise Landscapes
03-27-2006, 11:43 PM
try this link http://www.visapp.com/LandscapeandOutdoor.htm (copy it and paste it to your browser)
they have a new version of software I have been using for 5-6 years
very easy to learn and very profesional looking. take a picture with a digital camera inport it and start designing. Follow the links I think they have a trial version. Around $40.00. Let me know what you think

That looks pretty cool. I might try that and punch.

CuttinUP
05-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Picked up the Master Landscape Pro Ver 10 the other day and I have been playing around with it and I can see that this is going to work fine once I get it all figured out. I guess I'll open up the 1" thick book and read some of it.:drinkup:

yamadooski
05-09-2006, 08:13 AM
I tried all the Punch Programs and they all crashed my PC somehow.
Im going to use the $1,500.
To many people speak highly of this program.s
I can hardly wait till I get it.

Tim Wright
05-09-2006, 09:53 AM
I have Punch Landscape Pro and Home and Garden Landscape. I cannot seem to get the house photo into Punch correctly. It wants to simply be a 2D line on the grid.

In Home and Garden, it becomes a background but still does not mess with the designing part of the software correctly.

I too would prefer not to spend 1300 on the Landscpe Pro software until this part of my business is going strong, but if I get anyone serious in hiring me, I just might have to go there. I don't see these cheaper softwares doing the trick just yet.

BTW-I am pretty good with software and computers. I have built custom video editing systems and have them around the country.

Or, what am I missing.

Tim

Dreams To Designs
05-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Pro Landscape is drafting and imaging software for professionals wishing to impress their clients with state of the art graphics and computer generated plans. If you do a good amount of landscape design and do it well, Pro Landscape will be an excellent addition to your selling tools. If you are Cad savvy, the plan mode may make your drawings quicker and more consistently easier to read and understand. The imaging portion is easy to use and can give a decent representation of your intended design. On the other hand, if you don't really have the design skills, don't do a lot of design work or don't have the time or horticultural knowledge to create quality designs, this software, nor any other is going to be much help. If you are good at what you do and are profitable at what you do, perhaps you may be better served seeking the assistance of a designer or landscape architect that is good at what they do. Design is an art with an ever changing canvas and the medium is in constant flux. You wouldn't apply pesticides or take on irrigation installations if you didn't have the knowledge, certification or skills to perform such tasks, design is an additional facet of landscaping that takes talent and skills to do well.

Kirk

paolaken
05-09-2006, 02:49 PM
landscape pro is the best. if you wait till winter and go to the trade shows you can pick it up alot cheaper. last year at the western show i think it was in the $800 range for version 11. i will upgrade this winter i think.

Dreams To Designs
05-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro Landscape now has version 12, http://www.prolandscape.com/ , I have seen it less expensive at shows, but it was around $999, which is still a bargain. It would also be a good idea to leave some time and money aside for training, as it is a very intense program. Pro Landscape contracts with a training firm to offer education, http://www.prolandscape.com/support_training.htm and you can also contact the training company directly, http://www.digitsolutions.net/prolandscape/ .
Having the winter to learn and practice with the software makes good sense, so that when spring arrives, it has been mastered or at least functional.

Kirk

Pavers Plus
06-10-2006, 12:36 AM
I found a design like this sells just fine......plus it's to scale and can be built off of and is part of your contract with the customer. I have gotten used to Dynascape Garden Graphics and can pump out an entire design (landscape/hardscape plan including plant labels and such) in 4-6 hours. Usually just a hardscape plan (patio, walkways, walks) in under 2 hours.

oaktree59
06-10-2006, 12:47 AM
How do I email just the picture with Pro Landscape.

Dreams To Designs
06-10-2006, 07:11 AM
Export the picture as a Jpeg to a file, and send the Jpeg as an attachment. After you save the image in Pro Landscape's format, you must convert it to a .jpg or .bmp for most users to view it. Once it is converted, you will be unable to alter the converted copy, but if you first saved it as an .lnd, you can work with that and save an alterations, then export them as a .jpg to be emailed.

Kirk

alwaysgreener
06-15-2006, 08:02 AM
http://www.eaglepoint.com/landscape/ ..

AGLA
06-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Another handy option for emailing is to make a pdf file. If you are emailing large format plans to peoplw who can not print themout full size, this has some advantages. Not the least of which is that the lineweights scale down with the plan vs. printing to a smaller sheet.

There are some pdf making capabilities that are available at no cost on the net. They substitute as a printer driver. The one that I use is pdf995. Do a search and you will find it. There are pop up adds when you use it - not quite free, I suppose.

Mike33
06-15-2006, 08:32 PM
3D imaging is a cool feature, but it is merely a presentation tool to allow your client to get a vision of what you are trying to get across to them. It is not very accurate or real, but it does offer a glimpse of virtual reality. It is a great tool for most homeowners, as they don't understand a well designed landscape plan until it is installed. A nice feature of the 3D imaging is you can create a photo and email it to the client to get feedback without visiting or waiting for you next meeting. The pics are pretty self explanatory and they will like it or not. Sometimes you may use an image of a plant that looks better than the image of the plant you intend on using. it's only a suggested image and your horticultural knowledge will enable you to choose the right material. The imaging does take some time to master, but is worth the effort for a generation that must see it to understand. You may even find they raise the budget to meet the concept you have created for them With pro Landscape you are able to create lighting scheme for the landscape you propose and I always include that as part of my design work. Lighting is another excellent income source and your clients should appreciate lighting as it relates to safety, security and aesthetics.

Kirk
Take note of what kirk told you. i purchased pro landsc. 12 this past winter along with a new lap top. I thought this would make me a designer . ( WRONG ) What it did for me how ever as a contractor doing reidental work the 3d imaging is great and put my business to a higher leval because i could show a color pic of finished yard. This did impress my customers since im the only one in my county with this program. How ever i did spend add. $ 500.00 for horticopa so i could know more on plants., etc., Then in some cases i have to refer to a designer like Kirk to actually design. In works great for me with new home construction just placing the grass and driveway impresses people. It does have limitations though but i would spend the money again for it. You can get it for 999.00 at shows.
Mike